The Lions are taking apart their running game

X_Factor_40

3 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Why is Lawson leaving? 

I didn’t say I feel comfortable with the secondary but there is young players there with potential. I feel better about the secondary than I do about DL, RB and LB. heck I’d probably say secondary would be even with OL at this point. 

Im not saying don’t address it, if there’s a great looking CB/S prospect at one of our early picks I wouldn’t be against it. However, if there’s a great RB, DL or LB there I’d rank them above it.

I also think about injuries.. quin getting older..slay gets banged up every year. If one goes down we are screwed. And if you look there's nothing worth anything behind them. Just think you better get this tighten up

I just hope the fo doesn't have this tunnel vision about a rb

5 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I also think about injuries.. quin getting older..slay gets banged up every year. If one goes down we are screwed. And if you look there's nothing worth anything behind them. Just think you better get this tighten up

Absolutely but just because I say there are bigger priorities doesn’t mean everything else is ignored.

20 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

If Quin has shown anything in his time as a GM it's that he knows the importance of depth, especially in the secondary. I expect it to be addressed via free agency and possibly a trade or two.

7 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

If Quin has shown anything in his time as a GM it's that he knows the importance of depth, especially in the secondary. I expect it to be addressed via free agency and possibly a trade or two.

CBS in free agency can get pretty pricey..

How does Quin know the importance of depth in the secondary? Hayden? Tabor..?

Darius Slay missed 3 games in 2016. He’s played in every other game in his career outside of his rookie season, which is no surprise as rookie corners typically need time to adjust to the league.

Quin hasn’t missed a game since his rookie season, of which he started 12 games. 

With that said, Quin is 32. He was given a 2 year extension, so he’ll be a FA in 2020, unless extended again. I expect the Lions to draft a potential replacement eventually, but the team has a few areas of need. Quin is playing at a high level and has never had durability issues so I’m not very concerned about him or finding his replacement in the immediate future. But, you can never have enough depth in then NFL. I’d be fine with drafting a safety, although a cheap depth guy would be fine for now. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the lions bring in a decent FA corner, but the FA market is incredibly expensive for corners. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Butler followed Patricia here, or if the lions draft a versatile guy they can develop. 

With all that said, I have RB far ahead of CB and S on my list of needs. We’ll have to see how free agency goes, but I’d like to draft a RB. They can grab a depth guy or two in the secondary in FA. Any corner they take in the draft won’t make an impact for a year or two.

I would be on board ifthey snagged a lockdown man corner. I have RB, DL or OL as bigger needs targeted in rounds 1-3. I wouldn’t mind a corner or safety if the right guy falls into their lap, though. 

2 hours ago, X_Factor_40 said:

Darius Slay missed 3 games in 2016. He’s played in every other game in his career outside of his rookie season, which is no surprise as rookie corners typically need time to adjust to the league.

Quin hasn’t missed a game since his rookie season, of which he started 12 games. 

With that said, Quin is 32. He was given a 2 year extension, so he’ll be a FA in 2020, unless extended again. I expect the Lions to draft a potential replacement eventually, but the team has a few areas of need. Quin is playing at a high level and has never had durability issues so I’m not very concerned about him or finding his replacement in the immediate future. But, you can never have enough depth in then NFL. I’d be fine with drafting a safety, although a cheap depth guy would be fine for now. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the lions bring in a decent FA corner, but the FA market is incredibly expensive for corners. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Butler followed Patricia here, or if the lions draft a versatile guy they can develop. 

Slay gets banged up you see it. There have been a lot of games I thought here we go he's hurt we're screwed but to come back and play. Great but it's a worry. Who do you have for his depth ?? Who is your number 2?

Quin is 32 layout kinda guy.. If he were to miss time who you got? Who you got next to him.. diggs? Who gets banged up..

Just seems weird to me this isn't a need area.

8 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Top flight CBs are pricey in FA. Depth CBs rarely break the bank.

Those moves and others.

So don't try to get a good one.. just whatever.. not that important right

Well if they view the position like you do..im sure we will be talking secondary next year

You don't have a safety unless diggs plays it. Who's on board with this? No number 2 ah no problem.. We will throw teez and his hammy over there...whos your slot hayden... crap imo. But you call it great.. probably couldn't change your mind if I tried

think Swanson is going retire.. 2 major concussions in 2 years... there going bring in another o-line guy or 2.. pick up a crowell in fa.. trade AA for whatever... I can see the lions bringing in either Talib or Butler in Fa. heard Denver is going cut Talib and butler isn't going go back to N.E. also we need a d-line/edge rusher in Fa.   I wouldn't mind trading back in the draft either..

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

So don't try to get a good one.. just whatever.. not that important right

Well if they view the position like you do..im sure we will be talking secondary next year

You don't have a safety unless diggs plays it. Who's on board with this? No number 2 ah no problem.. We will throw teez and his hammy over there...whos your slot hayden... crap imo. But you call it great.. probably couldn't change your mind if I tried

I know you're of the opinion that everyone sucks at everything, but I disagree. I believe Tabor and Lawson can both be good CBs seeing as they both showed they were able to do just that this year without a pass rush. Get them that and they could be great.

Diggs showed exceptional play making ability at safety in limited time there. Why wouldn't we want him to keep it up? There's also Killebrew in development, who has shown flashes. I wouldn't hate a developmental guy at FS for Glover to mentor, but it's not even close to the top of my priorities. 

Getting back to the thread topic. I think perhaps the move that will have the biggest impact has already happened. Replacing offensive line coach Ron Price with Jeff Davidson might actually get the Oline to produce some running lanes and hold up in pass protection. I think we need either a RG or C as Glasgow can play either, but I think we're set at the other starting positions as long as we're healthier than last year. We could use an upgrade at running back, but good run blocking can make average RBs seem good and with JBC and Stafford we don't need an elite running game. Just one good enough to keep defenses honest and churn some clock when we need it to.

39 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I know you're of the opinion that everyone sucks at everything, but I disagree. I believe Tabor and Lawson can both be good CBs seeing as they both showed they were able to do just that this year without a pass rush. Get them that and they could be great.

Diggs showed exceptional play making ability at safety in limited time there. Why wouldn't we want him to keep it up? There's also Killebrew in development, who has shown flashes. I wouldn't hate a developmental guy at FS for Glover to mentor, but it's not even close to the top of my priorities. 

Getting back to the thread topic. I think perhaps the move that will have the biggest impact has already happened. Replacing offensive line coach Ron Price with Jeff Davidson might actually get the Oline to produce some running lanes and hold up in pass protection. I think we need either a RG or C as Glasgow can play either, but I think we're set at the other starting positions as long as we're healthier than last year. We could use an upgrade at running back, but good run blocking can make average RBs seem good and with JBC and Stafford we don't need an elite running game. Just one good enough to keep defenses honest and churn some clock when we need it to.

So you have rb as a top priority but turn around and say we can get away with avg if the ol play becomes better.. Call me lost.. guess you weren't clear on your priorities 

Diggs at safety is a gamble..sure we got away with it for a couple games he could get exposed if so your ok with killibrew..wow ok

Not even sure what tabor showed you but would like to hear this

It's not so much everything sucks I just see easy upgrades 

And why do you want to know everyone I like in the first? 

Archived