Who slips in this years draft?

Vladimir L

Derwin James is consistently mocked out of the top 15, too many of the teams in that top 15 have young safeties and bigger holes at other positions. The two teams that could pick him, Tampa Bay and Green Bay, both have bigger needs with their pass rush. I expect to see, and rightly so, the majority of mocks giving the Buccaneers Davenport at #7 and the Packers Landry at #14.

Calvin Ridley and Guice will fall as well imo. 

I think the 1st round corner success of last year with Lattimore, Humphrey, and White will influence this year and the CBs will rise, knocking down some other players at other positions.

I agree that Barley is the most talented prospect thin this draft but the RB class is just so deep with talent.  The 1st round is generally about QB, CB and pass rushers.  I think it is weak in WR and EDGE rushers.  Perhaps safety but I think that is more top heavy class.  It is possible that the 1st WR might not go until the 2nd round.  So it all depends on where you see Ridley going.

I do not see Barkley falling out of the top 10.  Someone will move back and target him.

59 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I agree that Barley is the most talented prospect thin this draft but the RB class is just so deep with talent.  The 1st round is generally about QB, CB and pass rushers.  I think it is weak in WR and EDGE rushers.  Perhaps safety but I think that is more top heavy class.  It is possible that the 1st WR might not go until the 2nd round.  So it all depends on where you see Ridley going.

I do not see Barkley falling out of the top 10.  Someone will move back and target him.

Ridley is a very interesting prospect and hard to recall a WR this good playing with a QB that bad the last two years.  Hell even with Jake Coker Ridley was awesome as a freshman and played arguably his best ball of his career, showed great deep threat ability.  With a QB who cannot throw the ball well short or deep that really hurt his production the past two years.  Ridley is a fine route runner, has nice wiggle to him and good solid speed.  Sure he could fall in the draft because of lack of great production these past two years, but it is impressive he was able to be productive at all with Hurts as the QB.  Should be a high pick based on his ability but could easily fall to late 1st.

As for Barkley, the NFL is obviously trending back towards respecting RBs, just look at Elliott, Gurley, Fournette etc...  They were all huge key parts of their teams success.  Barkley is on the same level of an Elliott or a Gurley and should be picked that high accordingly.  Gurley was the 10th pick because he was coming off injury, Elliott was the 4th pick and Fournette was the 4th pick as well of late coming off a injury also.  So Barkley in top 5 is not out of the question and honestly he is the best prospect in the draft and with Cleveland having two top 4 picks they should take Barkley at 1 or 4.

As for guys falling Derwin James for sure if he does not work out well.  Before the year was arguably the best prospect out there, but did not play well this past year, or at least as good as he should have been.  Really key will be how he works out, if he does not run well and perform well could drop.  Key also of course could drop if he does not work out well having a very sub par year and being injured a lot.  Both him and James were arguably top 3 picks coming into the year, that will not happen come draft day though.  Lamar Jackson like one said could drop as well, but I hope so, then maybe the Vikings could steal him late first.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Vita Vea.  Has great size, but really not that productive.  Sure, double teams and such, but still.  He reminds me of a taller Jerel Worthy.

Take a look at UW's toughest opponents in 2017: Stanford and Penn State.  Vea had 0 TFL and 0 sacks.

I had thought about Vea as well.  How well do people see a dominate run stuffer and how is that valued?  i see him going in the 15-25 range.  I really can't see him dropping past that.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Ridley is a very interesting prospect and hard to recall a WR this good playing with a QB that bad the last two years.  Hell even with Jake Coker Ridley was awesome as a freshman and played arguably his best ball of his career, showed great deep threat ability.  With a QB who cannot throw the ball well short or deep that really hurt his production the past two years.  Ridley is a fine route runner, has nice wiggle to him and good solid speed.  Sure he could fall in the draft because of lack of great production these past two years, but it is impressive he was able to be productive at all with Hurts as the QB.  Should be a high pick based on his ability but could easily fall to late 1st.

I think Ridley and Gallup are the best two WR.  Both run good routes.  Both will make an impact earlier in the NFL than some other, more athletically gifted, WR.  I have seen Ridley going in the 10-15 range of many mocks.  If he falls past Baltimore at 16, would he get picked up with Buffalo at 22?  It goes back to my point that CB, QB and pass rusher( both inside and outside) are the majority of the picks in the 1st round.  WR is under valued as a 1st round pick but the WR class is fairly weak so taking one early could be a strategy.

And what is considered falling?  If Ridley fell to 22 would that be considered him falling because it is expected that he goes in the 10-15 range?

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Ridley and Gallup are the best two WR.  Both run good routes.  Both will make an impact earlier in the NFL than some other, more athletically gifted, WR.  I have seen Ridley going in the 10-15 range of many mocks.  If he falls past Baltimore at 16, would he get picked up with Buffalo at 22?  It goes back to my point that CB, QB and pass rusher( both inside and outside) are the majority of the picks in the 1st round.  WR is under valued as a 1st round pick but the WR class is fairly weak so taking one early could be a strategy.

And what is considered falling?  If Ridley fell to 22 would that be considered him falling because it is expected that he goes in the 10-15 range?

After this freshman year I had him top 10 potentially just based on talent.  I think he will have a very good 40 time so to call him not a great athlete not sure that is the case, he has some burners and can get deep quite well.  Gallup is more a possession receiver who can go get the football and get open but does not have top end speed like Ridley, will be curious how Ridley runs at the combine.  I do not think there is a ton of difference between him and Amari Cooper, but Cooper played with a much better QB at Alabama and thus was far more productive overall.  Cooper is a little more thick but could argue Ridley might be faster and just as good of route runner in his ability to make cuts.

With Kirk's return ability and if he runs as well as he should at the combine, he could go ahead of Ridley.  Washington could go ahead of Ridley as well not to mention Sutton. So if he falls behind all of them that will push him down the draft for sure.  And again based on his poor QB play the last two years, some times might not like his production and what he showed on the field which could cause a drop for him in the draft also.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Vita Vea.  Has great size, but really not that productive.  Sure, double teams and such, but still.  He reminds me of a taller Jerel Worthy.

Take a look at UW's toughest opponents in 2017: Stanford and Penn State.  Vea had 0 TFL and 0 sacks.

Vita Vea just on athletic ability at his size and upside is a top 10 pick arguably.  In terms of team needs sure he could drop because some teams do not need a big guy like that in the middle.  Most likely is a 3/4 NT or even 3/4 DE in some systems.  Big guys like that never get a ton of stats, just look at Poe in college he did little to nothing.  If Vea impresses at the combine which he should he will be fine.  He is way better than Jerel Worthy as a prospect I feel, not only bigger but also far more athletic.  

Vea impacts the game and is a freaking mountain with a ton of athletic ability for his size, so what about his lack of getting sacks, he is a big factor in many games this year.  Danny Shelton was wildly productive at Washington and got tons of statistics, had almost 100 tackles his last year and 9 sacks.  But so what, not doing that at the next level.  Vita is a better prospect I feel because he is a better athlete at that size and is stronger.

I guess it depends on what people mean by "fall".

For example, I consistently see people mocking Barkley and Fitzpatrick in the Top 4, but due to their positions, I could see both falling out of the Top 5 and even out of the top 10. Aside from a few RB's of late (Zeke, Gurley), they usually fall out of the top 10.

The same goes for safeties. If people view Minkah as a true FS/SS, I think he falls out of the Top 10. The only safety I can remember that has gone top 5 in the last decade or two is Sean Taylor, with Earl Thomas still being selected in the Top 10, as well as Jamal Adams in the Top 10. Ed Reed and Troy P were the late first.

They may very well be the two best position players in the draft, but I could see them falling, especially if there is a run at QB. What MAY get them selected early is the lack of elite WR and OT prospects.

I have no idea why, but I see Roquan Smith from UGA falling a bit as well, especially if Edmunds takes the reigns from him as the best LB prospect.

Derwin James will light up the combine and go ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick will have a minor slide, but won't get outside of the top 15 picks.

I think Courtland Sutton slides to the 3rd round. I'm not a big fan of his to be honest. This WR class is pretty spotty, especially at the top. There are safer WR selections that I'd assume teams will opt towards ahead of Sutton.

Roquan Smith will slide into the 20's.

Arden Key and Harold Landry will go in the 2nd round.

Josh Jackson's combine isn't going to be great methinks. This would put him in the bottom half of the 1st round.

On 2/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, jebrick said:

I had thought about Vea as well.  How well do people see a dominate run stuffer and how is that valued?  i see him going in the 15-25 range.  I really can't see him dropping past that.

You guys need to watch more of this dude. He's more than just a space eater. This isn't freaking Danny Shelton we are talking about. I hated Danny Shelton coming out of Washington for that reason--he just ate blocks and was too slow to rush.

Vita Vea is 10x the player Shelton was. He's got a great motor, can make 1-arm tackles when still engaged in single and double blocks, and is an elite athlete for a NFL NT. This isn't some dude that's going to run a 5.5 40 time. This isn't a dude that's out of shape and can't play 3 downs. I am never for taking a big fat clog in the top 10, but that's not Vea. He's a superstar NT prospect. He's in my top 5 players in this draft and I expect him to go in the top 10.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

You guys need to watch more of this dude. He's more than just a space eater. This isn't freaking Danny Shelton we are talking about. I hated Danny Shelton coming out of Washington for that reason--he just ate blocks and was too slow to rush.

Vita Vea is 10x the player Shelton was. He's got a great motor, can make 1-arm tackles when still engaged in single and double blocks, and is an elite athlete for a NFL NT. This isn't some dude that's going to run a 5.5 40 time. This isn't a dude that's out of shape and can't play 3 downs. I am never for taking a big fat clog in the top 10, but that's not Vea. He's a superstar NT prospect. He's in my top 5 players in this draft and I expect him to go in the top 10.

A Top 10 pick for a NT. Which G.M is going to sign off on that?

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I guess it depends on what people mean by "fall".

For example, I consistently see people mocking Barkley and Fitzpatrick in the Top 4, but due to their positions, I could see both falling out of the Top 5 and even out of the top 10. Aside from a few RB's of late (Zeke, Gurley), they usually fall out of the top 10.

The same goes for safeties. If people view Minkah as a true FS/SS, I think he falls out of the Top 10. The only safety I can remember that has gone top 5 in the last decade or two is Sean Taylor, with Earl Thomas still being selected in the Top 10, as well as Jamal Adams in the Top 10. Ed Reed and Troy P were the late first.

They may very well be the two best position players in the draft, but I could see them falling, especially if there is a run at QB. What MAY get them selected early is the lack of elite WR and OT prospects.

I have no idea why, but I see Roquan Smith from UGA falling a bit as well, especially if Edmunds takes the reigns from him as the best LB prospect.

Mark Barron went 7th overall to Bucs in 2012.  Jamal Adams went #6 overall in 2017.

Archived