Who slips in this years draft?

Vladimir L

13 minutes ago, Classic said:

A Top 10 pick for a NT. Which G.M is going to sign off on that?

Would you take Haloti Ngata in the top 10? How about Vince Wilfork? I bet you would (or at least I hope you would).

NT's aren't extremely valuable typically. I was furious when the Browns drafted Danny Shelton at #12. That being said, there are special prospects that absolutely do warrant top 10 selections. Vea is one of those rare prospects that deserves to go in the top 10.

So the answer to your question? A good GM that needs a NT.

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Would you take Haloti Ngata in the top 10? How about Vince Wilfork? I bet you would (or at least I hope you would).

NT's aren't extremely valuable typically. I was furious when the Browns drafted Danny Shelton at #12. That being said, there are special prospects that absolutely do warrant top 10 selections. Vea is one of those rare prospects that deserves to go in the top 10.

So the answer to your question? A good GM that needs a NT.

Yeah, what Separates Vea from a lot of the other NT's, like Ngata, Poe, Shelton, Raji, etc etc, is that he's going to come to the combine and test out of this world.  He's one of those guys that falls under the "a man that big shouldn't be able to move like that" category.  Now that's not to say he isn't pretty risky, like Poe and Ngata, he could be meh, or he could be elite.

Ngata is in another world as a player, he wasn't just a NT. A conversation about taking a NT early shouldn't include him. 

My best guess for where Vea goes-

1. Cle- Sam Darnold QB, QBOTF

2. NYG- Saquon Barkley HB, they won't go QB but they'll build around the position

3. IND- Bradley Chubb DE, concrete pass rush

4. Trade- Den- Josh Rosen QB, they move up to secure who they feel is the best passer and make sure no one jumps them

5. Cle- Minkah Fitzpatrick S, safe versatile defender

6. NYJ- Baker Mayfield QB, they choose the little leader

7. TB- Marcus Davenport DE, They're desperate for pass rush so they take the monster in the making

8. CHI- Quenton Nelson G, Not a true need but he'll stay with his college OL coach

9. SF- Denzel Ward CB, Young lockdown added to a young team

10. OAK- Roquan Smith LB, Gruden gets a leader for his team headed to the desert

11. MIA- Tremaine Edmunds LB, Plays where his daddy did

12. CIN- Orlando Brown/OL, They must take they're highest rated tackle

13. Was- Vita Vea DT, Worst rush defense gets a beast to tandem with Allen

14. GB- Harold Landry OLB, Another team desperate for pass rush

15. ARI(Cousins)- Josh Jackson CB, Peterson gets a partner in crime

I think he goes to the Redskins. Good value and a great pick for them.

Quarterbacks in general slide is my prediction...  I think this class is pretty thoroughly overrated in general.... but I'm going to say that only 3 QBs go in the first, and only 2 in the top 10  because teams are desperate, with the 3rd (Mayfield) coming in the later part of the round... (which is a far cry from the 4-5 in the first round predictions I've seen, or even the 3-4 QBs in the top 10 predictions I've also seen)

Josh Allen in particular, is my pick to slide out of that group... I don't think he really belongs in the first round, and the idea of him being considered a top 10 prospect is pure lunacy to me.... I have him dead last (9th) as a prospect out of the 4 QBs from last year (Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson, Kizer) and the 5 QBs from this year (Jackson, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Allen), even behind Kizer, who I hated (but is at least a better running threat).

On 2/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, Ozzy said:

Ridley is a very interesting prospect and hard to recall a WR this good playing with a QB that bad the last two years.  Hell even with Jake Coker Ridley was awesome as a freshman and played arguably his best ball of his career, showed great deep threat ability.  With a QB who cannot throw the ball well short or deep that really hurt his production the past two years.  Ridley is a fine route runner, has nice wiggle to him and good solid speed.  Sure he could fall in the draft because of lack of great production these past two years, but it is impressive he was able to be productive at all with Hurts as the QB.  Should be a high pick based on his ability but could easily fall to late 1st.

I think he is at best a later 1st rounder, around 17-24!

As for Barkley, the NFL is obviously trending back towards respecting RBs, just look at Elliott, Gurley, Fournette etc...  They were all huge key parts of their teams success.  Barkley is on the same level of an Elliott or a Gurley and should be picked that high accordingly.  Gurley was the 10th pick because he was coming off injury, Elliott was the 4th pick and Fournette was the 4th pick as well of late coming off a injury also.  So Barkley in top 5 is not out of the question and honestly he is the best prospect in the draft and with Cleveland having two top 4 picks they should take Barkley at 1 or 4.

I think it is quite possible that Barkley drops a bit, not because of his talent level, but simply because, RB is probably the strongest position in this year's draft and teams may well wait to see what is available in round 2!!

As for guys falling Derwin James for sure if he does not work out well.  Before the year was arguably the best prospect out there, but did not play well this past year, or at least as good as he should have been.  Really key will be how he works out, if he does not run well and perform well could drop.  Key also of course could drop if he does not work out well having a very sub par year and being injured a lot.  Both him and James were arguably top 3 picks coming into the year, that will not happen come draft day though.  Lamar Jackson like one said could drop as well, but I hope so, then maybe the Vikings could steal him late first.

Solid choices, James is an in the box Safety and they are not in great demand, ditto for Fitzpatrick, Key could definitely be a possible dropper in the draft, his last season was a total mess!

Lamar Jackson is also a huge wildcard in this year's draft, if teams view his escapability to be in Vick's class, he could go top 10, however, if they don't, then he could even slip to round 2!!!

Outside of QB and RB and maybe TE, this draft class looks to be a little weak, it is always a little suspicious when an OG like Nelson is getting top 5 consideration, it  usually indicates a weaker draft???

12 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Outside of QB and RB and maybe TE, this draft class looks to be a little weak, it is always a little suspicious when an OG like Nelson is getting top 5 consideration, it  usually indicates a weaker draft???

I agree on the OG comment.  I really do not think an OG goes in the top 10 but I did not think Warmack would go in the top 15.   I think the class is very weak for EDGE rushers, which is normally a prime position in the 1st round.  The class looks to be deep in CB and OT.   The RB talent is just sick.  ILB is deep but not particularly strong.   Weak in WR and top heavy in safety ( could be called weak).

14 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Yeah, what Separates Vea from a lot of the other NT's, like Ngata, Poe, Shelton, Raji, etc etc, is that he's going to come to the combine and test out of this world.  He's one of those guys that falls under the "a man that big shouldn't be able to move like that" category.  Now that's not to say he isn't pretty risky, like Poe and Ngata, he could be meh, or he could be elite.

So if Vea falls past 15 would you call that slip?  For me, if he goes much past 20 it is a slip.

15 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Dontari Poe was not a great football player in college though. He only burst onto the scene after putting up great athlete scores. I remember watching his tape and being very underwhelmed. The thing that seperates Vea from him and places him closer to Ngata is the fact that both had dominant collegiate tape and will post the athletic numbers to warrant their hype. Ngata was a superstar in college, but he's still not the kind of athlete Vea is. Vea isn't as dominant against the run as Ngata, but it's close.

I have Vita Vea as my #5 ranked player (I do my rankings without positional importance factored in btw).

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The same was said about Fournette, Elliot, Gurley, Richardson, etc.

”The best prospect since Peterson” is a running joke at this point imo.

I remember 2 years ago people saying that Barkley was better than all of these guys (Elliot, Fournette...)

Barkley is better than those guys and I absolutely loved Fournette. Even last year I (and a multitude of others) were saying that Barkley was better than any of the other guys in the class.

Barkley really is the best RB prospect since Peterson. I really do think that Gurley was the best RB prospect since AP, then Fournette was, then Barkley was. That's not crazy to say.

Yes! I've had this exact same thought, and it always cracks me up. If memory serves me correct Darren Mcfadden was also the best since Peterson at one point as well. The claim certainly loses its effect when it is used just about every other year since Peterson entered the NFL. 

That was an absolute joke in regards to Trent Richardson. That was terrible hype.

And in terms of being a PROSPECT. Barkley IS the best since Peterson. If he lives up to his potential, well that's another story.

Archived