Who slips in this years draft?

Vladimir L

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

That was an absolute joke in regards to Trent Richardson. That was terrible hype.

And in terms of being a PROSPECT. Barkley IS the best since Peterson. If he lives up to his potential, well that's another story.

Again, the same thing was said last year “no really, THIS GUY is REALLY the best”.

TRich was a consensus top 5 pick by pretty much everyone, a sure thing, can’t miss, etc.  The fact that he busted doesn’t negate the fact he was a highly thought of prospect by pretty much everyone.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Again, the same thing was said last year “no really, THIS GUY is REALLY the best”.

TRich was a consensus top 5 pick by pretty much everyone, a sure thing, can’t miss, etc.  The fact that he busted doesn’t negate the fact he was a highly thought of prospect by pretty much everyone.

People were overlooking his many flaws. He was so stiff at the hips and had almost no burst.

44 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I remember 2 years ago people saying that Barkley was better than all of these guys (Elliot, Fournette...)

People have always had hot takes and wanted to be “the first guy” to talk about a prospect. Folks said it about Fournette his sophomore year too.

Barkley really is the best RB prospect since Peterson. I really do think that Gurley was the best RB prospect since AP, then Fournette was, then Barkley was. That's not crazy to say.

No, but it doesn’t make it true either.  I think folks just tend to be victims of the moment when it comes to prospects and sensationalize how great they are.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

People were overlooking his many flaws. He was so stiff at the hips and had almost no burst.

This is pure hindsight.

Color me skeptical that a group of the most comically nitpicky people (long shins anyone?) would overlook such things as hips and burst on a RB who played so extensively on the national stage.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People have always had hot takes and wanted to be “the first guy” to talk about a prospect. Folks said it about Fournette his sophomore year too.

No, but it doesn’t make it true either.  I think folks just tend to be victims of the moment when it comes to prospects and sensationalize how great they are.

I definitely agree with this, but my RB rankings since 2007 would be this: (top 4 are elites)

1. Adrian Peterson (Elite HOF back)

2. Saquon Barkley (Elite HOF potential)

3. Leonard Fournette (Great player, shouldn't be this high with hindsight probably)

4. Todd Gurley (Knew he'd dominate. Had him ranked right with Fournette, but his injury ultimately would have led me to taking Fournette over him honestly)

---------------------------------------------------

5. Ezekiel Elliot (Better than I thought he'd be even tho he was this high up)

6. Melvin Gordon (A little too high on him)

7. Duke Johnson (good, but not THAT good)

8. Trent Richardson (Terrible. Too clunky. I didn't like his lack of long speed, but I didn't anticipate him being that bad.)

9. CJ Spiller (Elite long speed and elusiveness. Great receiver out of the backfield. Another whiff in the NFL. Still not sure why he sucked.)

10. Jahvid Best (Probably would have been a beast if healthy.)

So it makes sense for me to have gone with the trajectory of Gurley/Fournette/Barkley.

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

This is true, but his strength as a runner between the tackles made up for it at least on paper. Nobody was calling him a bust before the draft. I thought he was a little overrated, but I was shocked he was THAT bad. Most people were very high on him and didn't have many bad things to say about him until it became convenient to point out what other people already knew and were willing to overlook because of his perceived strengths.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

This is true, but his strength as a runner between the tackles made up for it at least on paper. Nobody was calling him a bust before the draft. I thought he was a little overrated, but I was shocked he was THAT bad. Most people were very high on him and didn't have many bad things to say about him until it became convenient to point out what other people already knew and were willing to overlook because of his perceived strengths.

It's hard for me to grasp it I suppose because I was never very high on Richardson at all. I didn't think he belonged in the top 10.

I thought very highly of Fournette, but I expected him to run a bit faster. Gurley, Fournette, and McFadden were the other Runningbacks I was high on since Peterson.

We'll see, but Barkley seems like the complete package to me. His biggest area I DO think he needs to improve on is his vision. He sometimes doesn't know when to cut up field and continues to dance a bit too much. That's coachable though.

Trent was a monster prospect. Everyone thought he was a special talent. I think my only critique of him coming out was that I thought he was better at the second level than behind the los. That basically metastasized as a pro.

But he had a good rookie year. Overall it was definitely a case of him letting up as far as his prep and passion. The finish line for him was getting drafted and the pay day. ..whether he recognized it at the time or not.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:08 AM, BleedTheClock said:

10. Jahvid Best (Probably would have been a beast if healthy.)

Man.... dude WAS a beast when healthy. I'm not sure he would ever have been a true #1, but I honestly think he was more talented than Darren Sproles. In that kind of role, I think he would have made magic.

As for who I think slips, I'm going with Mason Rudolph. I think he falls to the bottom of the 2nd/top of the 3rd. 

Archived