Eagles Offseason Thread (HAPPY NEW league YEAR!: Year of the Champions)

WeaponX

Just now, Jlash said:

The Chiefs dumped him too though, so it's like not he was impressing anyone in KC either. 

He was behind Alex Smith who was performing pretty well for them. Never had a chance to really show what he can do. Only so much you can do as a backup, not getting reps with the starting unit, and not having an offense that bodes well with your strengths. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

He was behind Alex Smith who was performing pretty well for them. Never had a chance to really show what he can do. Only so much you can do as a backup, not getting reps with the starting unit, and not having an offense that bodes well with your strengths. 

They were looking at moving on from Alex Smith at that point though. They let Foles walk, then proceeded to give up a ton to move up and get Mahomes. So it's not like they weren't ready to move on from Smith. 

I think Foles went through a legitimate slump in his career. He said he wasn't sure he even wanted to play anymore. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

You say "anymore" like he's 35. He's still a decent pass rusher. They just asked him to stay home more often. If he had the opportunity to turn lose every play like Long or Barnett, he would have had better sack numbers. 

Like I said, just from watching him I think he clearly regressed from his 9 sack season. He showed big time pass rush potential when he first came into the league. Didn't show much of that the last 2-3 years. 

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I think that when Foles did play in KC he looked pretty damn good too. 

10 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Like I said, just from watching him I think he clearly regressed from his 9 sack season. He showed big time pass rush potential when he first came into the league. Didn't show much of that the last 2-3 years. 

Dont you think you don't see it because the team has him designated in a different role? 

Hes asked a lot to set edges instead of getting up field. Don't you think it has something to do with it?

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Someone should tweet that clown he de-underweared two of the biggest defensive brains in the game. You don't do that dumb downed. 

If you can dumb down an offense and win the Super Bowl then why the hell doesn't every team just dumb things down for their QBs...

After the Ertz restructure today, I saw somewhere say the Eagles are currently $13 mil under the cap.

Did we do that to bring in someone else, or maybe, just maybe, could Curry and/or Kendricks stay for 2018? 

6 hours ago, Danger said:

He wasn't very good in his last year starting in Chip Kelly's offense either.

31 minutes ago, 808 said:

After the Ertz restructure today, I saw somewhere say the Eagles are currently $13 mil under the cap.

Did we do that to bring in someone else, or maybe, just maybe, could Curry and/or Kendricks stay for 2018? 

Doesn't Curry have some money kick in tomorrow?

1 hour ago, Phire said:

If you can dumb down an offense and win the Super Bowl then why the hell doesn't every team just dumb things down for their QBs...

Honestly, credit to Doug he doesn't really have an ego. I think it is overblown that the Eagles totally dumbed down the offense for Foles, but there's likely a little truth to that.  He was flat out awful the first few games he played and there was a lot made of Doug taking pieces of the RPO and quick reads that helped make Foles successful in Chip's offense.  Chip's offense isn't complex as we found out, but it can be very effective when you have the right personnel.  I think that combined with Doug's lack of an ego and willingness to modify the offense was huge.

3 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Honestly, credit to Doug he doesn't really have an ego. I think it is overblown that the Eagles totally dumbed down the offense for Foles, but there's likely a little truth to that.  He was flat out awful the first few games he played and there was a lot made of Doug taking pieces of the RPO and quick reads that helped make Foles successful in Chip's offense.  Chip's offense isn't complex as we found out, but it can be very effective when you have the right personnel.  I think that combined with Doug's lack of an ego and willingness to modify the offense was huge.

It wasn't dumbed down though. It was changed to fit Foles' strengths. I don't know why everyone assumes it was dumbed down. The RPO is actually pretty complex because you have to read the defense and make the decision in a ridiculously short amount of time. It's not like we were asking Nick to throw the ball 10 times a game and all of them were the same four routes. A dumbed down offense looks like the Dallas Cowboys offense. Anybody here can name all four of the routes their receivers run.

Archived