Eagles Offseason Thread (HAPPY NEW league YEAR!: Year of the Champions)

WeaponX

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

It wasn't dumbed down though. It was changed to fit Foles' strengths. I don't know why everyone assumes it was dumbed down. The RPO is actually pretty complex because you have to read the defense and make the decision in a ridiculously short amount of time. It's not like we were asking Nick to throw the ball 10 times a game and all of them were the same four routes. A dumbed down offense looks like the Dallas Cowboys offense. Anybody here can name all four of the routes their receivers run.

RPO isn't complex, it is based on one read.  It takes skill to process that quickly, but that's why all of those types of offenses are viewed as being dumbed down.  The Cowboys are a great example, they run a ton of RPO with Prescott. That's a large part of why he was so effective his rookie year, it is a challenging offense to stop if you have an effective run game and the right personnel and doesn't put a ton of strain on the QB.

Foles was obviously asked to do more, especially in the Pats game. But it was pretty clear too that the Pats were selling out on the run and going to force Foles to beat them.  Thankfully, he played phenomenally well the last 2 games of the year.

10 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Dont you think you don't see it because the team has him designated in a different role? 

Hes asked a lot to set edges instead of getting up field. Don't you think it has something to do with it?

Not really. I don't think Curry was asked to set the edge much. His job was to get up field and make plays and often times I think he crashed hard inside which was effective against the run but left them exposed to bootlegs. Just seems that anytime Curry rushed he used a bull rush and didn't have many pass rushing moves.

3 hours ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Not really. I don't think Curry was asked to set the edge much. His job was to get up field and make plays and often times I think he crashed hard inside which was effective against the run but left them exposed to bootlegs. Just seems that anytime Curry rushed he used a bull rush and didn't have many pass rushing moves.

Curry was the 1st and 2nd down RE. His job was to stop the run first and foremost. The supposed exposure to the bootleg would be because Schwartz runs the wide 9. The DEs are coached to get upfield on passing plays. The QB will have a window to scramble in some cases. Outside of Wilson, I don't remember getting hurt by much. 

And what does it matter how he got there if he got there? Bull rush or other. 

Let me just ask you this; Did you think Graham did well enough to pressure the QB last year? 

Don't think he'll want to come here (see Malcolm) and definitely don't want to mess with the vibes within that locker room. 

EDIT: If they could somehow get past that, he'd be an excellent addition. So would Honey Badger. ahem. cue Howie's darkside theme music. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Is it as bad with Reid as it is with Kaepernick to where it would literally be a distraction that will detriment the team's focus and level of play?

Was it a distraction when Malcolm Jenkins made a political statement all season long? We're probably the most politically active team in the NFL. The thought that Reid, or even Kaepernick for that matter, would create locker room issues is laughable.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Is it as bad with Reid as it is with Kaepernick to where it would literally be a distraction that will detriment the team's focus and level of play?

He's not that bad, but is it really worth it to bring in a guy like him as a backup? Plenty of guys in FA and the draft who don't have the baggage. 

Just now, utley4568 said:

Was it a distraction when Malcolm Jenkins made a political statement all season long? We're probably the most politically active team in the NFL. The thought that Reid, or even Kaepernick for that matter, would create locker room issues is laughable.

With Kaepernick it's not the locker room that's the issue.

It's the media circus that he'd bring. It'd end up being a burden for the rest of the team.

My concerns are never direct player-to-player issues, but the media circus.

3 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Locker room would be fine. 

Just not worth bringing in a guy to sit on the bench during the game, kneel during the anthem, and bring unnecessary media attention.

Just now, Eagles27 said:

Locker room would be fine. 

Just not worth bringing in a guy to sit on the bench during the game, kneel during the anthem, and bring unnecessary media attention.

Really? We just brought in Michael Bennett. Reid kneeling stopped receiving media attention a few weeks into the season.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Really? We just brought in Michael Bennett. Reid kneeling stopped receiving media attention a few weeks into the season.

Well the reaction to trading for Bennett wasn't 100% positive. (see the thread on here)  But the main difference is that he could be an impact player, so he may be worth whatever distraction he may or may not bring.

Reid is nothing special. Even if the risk he brings is small or possibly not existent; it's entirely unnecessary.

Archived