Jimmy G Contract Situation Compared To Bradford Rookie Contract

stl4life07

I was thinking that when Bradford was drafted he got a 6yr 78m deal with the max value up to 86m. He never played a down in the NFL. Jimmy G only has 7 starts more than Bradford did at the time and now Jimmy G got a 5yr 137.5m deal.

Bradford deal was the reason the NFL put in the rookie deal. It stopped rookies from getting these big contracts without playing a single down in football. Jimmy G is now the highest paid QB after only 7 starts. Cousins will probably at worst match it and he deserves it more than Jimmy G because he has a big body of work. 

My question is, can anything be done for situations like Jimmy G to prevent players with little body of work to get top notch money like it was for rookies like Bradford who got tons of money without playing a down in football? 

For the record, I think the Niners has no choice but to pay Jimmy G because he stabilizes position, the future is bright for the Niners plus the trade itself was so low till the only big price to pay was the contract itself. I’m just speaking on the future on QB contracts. It’s only going to go up regardless of the body of work of the player if that franchise view that QB as the franchise then I don’t expect the contract to be reasonable but it doesn’t mean it’s deserving.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

My question is, can anything be done for situations like Jimmy G to prevent players with little body of work to get top notch money like it was for rookies like Bradford who got tons of money without playing a down in football? 

Why should there be?

It should be up to the teams to pay a player what they feel his value is.  As far as Garappolo, he proved he could play when he was with the Patriots and then when he joined the Niners.  We already know, being the highest paid in sports most of the time is not about being the best, but more about when you sign your contract.  I'm sure Kirk Cousins is going to be paid a crap ton of money and there might be a QB a year or two from now who becomes a FA that will be the new highest paid.

The thing about Bradford is, he was paid that money without ever taking a NFL snap.  That's too harsh of an investment for teams to make on a player they have no film on outside of college. It's nowhere near the same situation.

17 minutes ago, Starless said:

Why should there be?

I think teams should pay their players anything they want but for the overview of the league I think it hurts. Like does Cousins deserve the ton of money he will get? He does when compared to Jimmy G. So if that game is being played then when will a team stop playing that game? Or if a team can? I don’t think a team can approach Cousins and stop him from getting what Jimmy G got. He is going to get it somewhere. Then the next QB is going to want to get a contract similar if not better then Cousins. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

I think teams should pay their players anything they want but for the overview of the league I think it hurts. Like does Cousins deserve the ton of money he will get? He does when compared to Jimmy G. So if that game is being played then when will a team stop playing that game? Or if a team can? I don’t think a team can approach Cousins and stop him from getting what Jimmy G got. He is going to get it somewhere. Then the next QB is going to want to get a contract similar if not better then Cousins. 

A salary cap. What you're describing is a salary cap. The NFL already has one of those.

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Like does Cousins deserve the ton of money he will get? He does when compared to Jimmy G.

That's an opinion, though.  One could make the argument that we have seen Kirk Cousins play at a high level for two years and that might be his peak.  If it is, he is a really good player, but maybe someone views Garoppolo as someone with greater potential - someone that will have a higher peak.

In my opinion, I would rather have Garoppolo over Cousins.  Of course Cousins is more proven, but I think Garoppolo can be better than him in the future.  And granted, I'm not one of those people that is convinced that Garoppolo will be an elite QB in the future, but he does have great tools and he has preformed very well when he has been given a chance.

All of you have great points. I think it will be interesting to see how much ARod gets when it’s time for him to get paid. He is worth it so I’m expecting the Packers to break the bank. At the same time it would be smart be like Brady and take a pay cut to help the team as a whole because the Packers need more around ARod. Their roster in general isn’t great. 

On 2/11/2018 at 1:41 AM, jrry32 said:

Nothing needs to be done. The teams are punished if they sign the wrong guy. Brock Osweiler is a great example of that.

Yep. And Snyder is a good example as to HOW you wait and see before you give out a huge long-term contract.

Archived