1King

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Starting line is officially set:

LT: Jon Runyan Jr.

LG: Ben Bredeson

C: Cesar Ruiz

RG: Mike Onwenu

RT: Juwann Bushell-Beatty

Were you at practice? Because that's what I saw too.

My thoughts/notes I wrote down:
*Shea looks good, throwing the ball accurately, throwing it from multiple arm slots, his motion is really clean even on the move. Excited to see him next week, didn't really get much of a real look because there were no live reps, just drills.
*Joe Milton's arm is stupid, he didn't throw it long but he makes a 35 yard to the opposite hash look easy, every ball he throws under 15-20 yards gets there on a rope
*Patterson and Milton were throwing together for most of practice. Shea clearly had more touch/accuracy/timing on his throws. Peters, McCaffrey, and Sessa were throwing together to the other groups of receivers. Didn't watch them as much.
*Didn't see much of the RB's, saw a bunch of them drop passes in one drill though
*Saw the RB's working on ball security, most of them did well
*Zach Gentry looks amazing, he's filled out really well
*WR's should be fine, DPJ looks good, Nico Collins looks good, we know what we have in Grant Perry, Martin should be a decent slot WR
*Ronnie Bell made a few really good catches and looked really quick. Excited to see what he can do. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays early and burns his redshirt.
*I saw the same starting OL group
*Jalen Mayfield was working at LT with the 2nd group
*Chuck Filiaga was working at LG with the 2nd group
*Stephen Spanellis was working at C with the 2nd group
*Joel Honigford was working at RG with the 2nd group
*James Hudson was working at RT with the 2nd group
*I thought I saw Andrew Stueber getting some work as a 6th OL with the 1st group and I think I saw him at RT or RG with the 2nd group a little as well (it was hard to see, people kept standing up right in front of me).
*DL was on the opposite side from the OL, so I didn't really watch them at all (I was mostly looking at the OL). Carlo Kemp and Aiden Hutchinson looked really big though. Winovich looks to be in even better shape too.
*Looks like Devin Gil will get the start at LB. The defense lined up real quick before practice officially started and he was out there instead of Josh Ross. They didn't do any team stuff though. Ross was doing the drills at the same time as Devin Bush though, so my guess is that we'll see both of them out there eventually. Gil probably will be the "starter" then Ross will probably rotate in when they think he's a better matchup.
*Kheleke looked bigger even from far away, really excited for him
*Gemon Green and Myles Sims have freakish frames

I was mostly looking at the offense, honestly not worried about the defense so I didn't bother to watch them much. Some other thoughts: Don Brown is really loud, could hear him yelling over everything else even though I was as high up as they would let me go. He may have been louder than Harbaugh was with a megaphone. Also, Jim Harbaugh is a psychopath. It felt like it was 90 degrees inside the stadium yet he was wearing his usual khaki pants, sweater, and white undershirt. I also feel bad for the event staff, some guy almost walked right into the bus that was taking the players away because he was looking down at his phone and wasn't paying attention. The staff guy had to jump in front of him and yell at him to stop walking to prevent the guy from literally walking in front of a moving bus.

I saw Ron Prince, Sherrone Moore, Chris Partridge, and I think Al Washington outside of the stadium where the guy almost walked into a bus. It took all of my strength to not talk crap to Ron Prince about the terrible job he did with the Lions. I was surprised no one else recognized them though, or at least that no one else stopped to talk to them.

• Like 1

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Were you at practice? Because that's what I saw too.

My thoughts/notes I wrote down:
*Shea looks good, throwing the ball accurately, throwing it from multiple arm slots, his motion is really clean even on the move. Excited to see him next week, didn't really get much of a real look because there were no live reps, just drills.
*Joe Milton's arm is stupid, he didn't throw it long but he makes a 35 yard to the opposite hash look easy, every ball he throws under 15-20 yards gets there on a rope
*Patterson and Milton were throwing together for most of practice. Shea clearly had more touch/accuracy/timing on his throws. Peters, McCaffrey, and Sessa were throwing together to the other groups of receivers. Didn't watch them as much.
*Didn't see much of the RB's, saw a bunch of them drop passes in one drill though
*Saw the RB's working on ball security, most of them did well
*Zach Gentry looks amazing, he's filled out really well
*WR's should be fine, DPJ looks good, Nico Collins looks good, we know what we have in Grant Perry, Martin should be a decent slot WR
*Ronnie Bell made a few really good catches and looked really quick. Excited to see what he can do. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays early and burns his redshirt.
*I saw the same starting OL group
*Jalen Mayfield was working at LT with the 2nd group
*Chuck Filiaga was working at LG with the 2nd group
*Stephen Spanellis was working at C with the 2nd group
*Joel Honigford was working at RG with the 2nd group
*James Hudson was working at RT with the 2nd group
*I thought I saw Andrew Stueber getting some work as a 6th OL with the 1st group and I think I saw him at RT or RG with the 2nd group a little as well (it was hard to see, people kept standing up right in front of me).
*DL was on the opposite side from the OL, so I didn't really watch them at all (I was mostly looking at the OL). Carlo Kemp and Aiden Hutchinson looked really big though. Winovich looks to be in even better shape too.
*Looks like Devin Gil will get the start at LB. The defense lined up real quick before practice officially started and he was out there instead of Josh Ross. They didn't do any team stuff though. Ross was doing the drills at the same time as Devin Bush though, so my guess is that we'll see both of them out there eventually. Gil probably will be the "starter" then Ross will probably rotate in when they think he's a better matchup.
*Kheleke looked bigger even from far away, really excited for him
*Gemon Green and Myles Sims have freakish frames

I was mostly looking at the offense, honestly not worried about the defense so I didn't bother to watch them much. Some other thoughts: Don Brown is really loud, could hear him yelling over everything else even though I was as high up as they would let me go. He may have been louder than Harbaugh was with a megaphone. Also, Jim Harbaugh is a psychopath. It felt like it was 90 degrees inside the stadium yet he was wearing his usual khaki pants, sweater, and white undershirt. I also feel bad for the event staff, some guy almost walked right into the bus that was taking the players away because he was looking down at his phone and wasn't paying attention. The staff guy had to jump in front of him and yell at him to stop walking to prevent the guy from literally walking in front of a moving bus.

I saw Ron Prince, Sherrone Moore, Chris Partridge, and I think Al Washington outside of the stadium where the guy almost walked into a bus. It took all of my strength to not talk crap to Ron Prince about the terrible job he did with the Lions. I was surprised no one else recognized them though, or at least that no one else stopped to talk to them.

Man, I wish. Just a washed up Michigan grad now that doesn't get to go back for another year. :'(

Gil is the quicker option, while Ross is the more powerful option. Guess we'll see if they feel Gil can hold up well against teams like Wisconsin and MSU.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Tarik Black may have broken his other foot (at least significantly injured it) and will likely be out a significant amount of time. Yay.

So, Black fractured his right foot. He's had fractures in both feet now so, on the bright side, his rehab should go better this time because he's been through the same rehab already. Depending on what kind of fracture it is and which bone fractured, he may not actually miss that much time. Best case scenario it's a 6 week injury, which would mean that he would have a chance to return for the Maryland game. Historically these injuries have taken 9 weeks to heal, but apparently, rehab techniques/medical techniques are improving and more people are coming back from foot fractures closer to 6 weeks. So, if it's a typical fracture he comes back for the Maryland game at the earliest or he comes back for the Penn State game at the latest.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Oof WR group looking mighty thin right now.

they should be fine, tbh. My guess is that you see a lot of 21 personnel, 22 personnel, 12 personnel, and maybe even some 13 personnel. With TE's like Gentry and McKeon and a FB like Ben Mason, they should be able to get away with running a lot of two WR sets. You could still easily run a wider spread formation out of 12 personnel with Gentry/McKeon/Eubanks and Mason on the field. Just go shotgun with a RB and FB on either side of the QB and put the TE in the slot. You could run the base "pro style" formations that they like then on the next play go to the gun with spread formations without having to sub anyone in or out. 

DPJ is still a solid target, Nico Collins looks like he could be Tarik Black Jr, Grant Perry is solid, Oliver Martin and Ronnie Bell are exciting young guys, and then they could always use someone like Eubanks in the slot as a receiver. I would love it if they ran a lot of 13 personnel. Put Gentry, McKeon, and Eubanks on the field all at the same time. You could split out Gentry and Eubanks or you could bring them all on the LOS to block. Just take what the defense gives you.

53 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Excited about Shea but not really excited about group he has to throw to.

Hoping the O-line steps up this year.

Look forward to the DEF as always.

The first line of receivers (DPJ, Nico, Perry, and the TEs) should be more than fine. There's just not really depth at WR once you get past Oliver Martin.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:15 AM, JammerHammer21 said:

The first line of receivers (DPJ, Nico, Perry, and the TEs) should be more than fine. There's just not really depth at WR once you get past Oliver Martin.

It would help if Ronnie Bell can make an impact year 1. He looked good at the open practice.

I don't like the way Harbaugh is handling the Patterson transfer.

This team has been built for the last 4 years to be a power football team but because Patterson is used to playing exclusively out of the shotgun we abandon what the team was built to be and run shotgun to fit 1 player. 

If Patterson isn't ready to run OUR offense he shouldn't be starting... Period... Sit him until he's ready, don't go to shotgun forcing everyone else to do what they aren't used to, and weren't recruited to do to satisfy Patterson. 

Edited by rob_shadows

2 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I don't like the way Harbaugh is handling the Patterson transfer.

This team has been built for the last 4 years to be a power football team but because Patterson is used to playing exclusively out of the shotgun we abandon what the team was built to be and run shotgun to fit 1 player. 

If Patterson isn't ready to run OUR offense he shouldn't be starting... Period... Sit him until he's ready, don't go to shotgun forcing everyone else to do what they aren't used to, and weren't recruited to do to satisfy Patterson. 

I think Michigan has the receivers to make it work, but the playcalling was complete trash, and the offensive tackles just blew. It sucks that Michigan just can't redshirt offensive linemen, and may be forced to play Mayfield. Honestly, unless Mayfield and Hudson are basically Ulizio in practice, just start them and roll with the punches. If they're unplayable against SMU and WMU, try and save Mayfield's redshirt, but Runyan and JBB were disasters.

Time for a program reset. 

Entitled from top to bottom.

Harbaugh is overrated. There’s no excuse for this. Coaches at other programs find ways to have a more effective offense with much less talent. 

This isn’t a team even close to competing for a national title. They aren’t even close to competing for a Big Ten title or even winning the division.

Another wasted season. It’s going to get harder and harder to convince recruits to play at Michigan with this staff.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:00 AM, WeaponX said:

Time for a program reset. 

Entitled from top to bottom.

Harbaugh is overrated. There’s no excuse for this. Coaches at other programs find ways to have a more effective offense with much less talent. 

This isn’t a team even close to competing for a national title. They aren’t even close to competing for a Big Ten title or even winning the division.

Another wasted season. It’s going to get harder and harder to convince recruits to play at Michigan with this staff.

Entitlement your talking about started with the “who’s got it better than us?” Mantra

45 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Entitlement your talking about started with the “who’s got it better than us?” Mantra

Entitlement has been around a lot longer than that. This is a program that had a lot of supporters turn their back solely for going outside the Michigan tree to hire Rich Rod. And then turned around, hired Dave Brandon, and allowed him to try and "bring Michigan back to its roots" by replicating the process of hiring Bo with Hoke, except this allowed Hoke's agent to get him way more than he should have.

Don't think Harbaugh's family mantra is that big of a sign of entitlement either.

Edited by JammerHammer21

4 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Entitlement has been around a lot longer than that. This is a program that had a lot of supporters turn their back solely for going outside the Michigan tree to hire Rich Rod. And then turned around, hired Dave Brandon, and allowed him to try and "bring Michigan back to its roots" by replicating the process of hiring Bo with Hoke, except this allowed Hoke's agent to get him way more than he should have.

Don't think Harbaugh's family mantra is that big of a sign of entitlement either.

When you start getting 18-23 yr olds thinking who’s got it better then them and they say no one. They start to be entitled and act like it. Harbs should of came in and Made it come completely different. That mantra should only been brought out when they were starting to win. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

When you start getting 18-23 yr olds thinking who’s got it better then them and they say no one. They start to be entitled and act like it. Harbs should of came in and Made it come completely different. That mantra should only been brought out when they were starting to win. 

Really don't think that's a big issue within the scheme of Harbaugh's struggles. And they used it much more during a couple of 10 win seasons after the program was in the dumps.

Entitlement is probably an issue, but it didn't cause Michigan's issues last year, or against ND this year. Goes down to dreadful play (OL and O'Korn last year) and coaching (playcalling to start this year).