Raiders Training Camp MegaThread 2017

Silver&Black88

I'm so tired of the hate on Sean Smith. He's a good player, I'm not gonna hold him accountable for 2 games last year against 2 of the best offenses in the NFL in weeks 1 and 2. I hope these idiotic fans on twitter shut up when he has a good year this year. He had so many good games last year, or plays with good coverage and a little bad luck.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm so tired of the hate on Sean Smith. He's a good player, I'm not gonna hold him accountable for 2 games last year against 2 of the best offenses in the NFL in weeks 1 and 2. I hope these idiotic fans on twitter shut up when he has a good year this year. He had so many good games last year, or plays with good coverage and a little bad luck.

We all hope he has a good year. Reggie paid him enough to expect it. And you are right that Smith had a pretty consistent year after those two first games. Those gross optics are just hard to shed.

I know PFF isn't the end all be all when it comes to player performance rating but it does give us a look at some metrics and it tells a story for SS.

I also noted that he had offseason shoulder surgery. I may have heard that already and just forgot it. Hard to keep up with every piece of Raider news that goes in one ear.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-sean-smith-says-he-is-healthy-after-shoulder-surgery

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

We all hope he has a good year. Reggie paid him enough to expect it. And you are right that Smith had a pretty consistent year after those two first games. Those gross optics are just hard to shed.

I know PFF isn't the end all be all when it comes to player performance rating but it does give us a look at some metrics and it tells a story for SS.

I also noted that he had offseason shoulder surgery. I may have heard that already and just forgot it. Hard to keep up with every piece of Raider news that goes in one ear.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-sean-smith-says-he-is-healthy-after-shoulder-surgery

Yeah I'm not talking about you guys. I guess it's hard to shake, but why in gods name would someone put Sean Smith on Brandin Cooks, one of the 5 fastest receivers in the NFL in 1 on 1 coverage without a safety directly over the top? You know? It's the the same way I can't fault Carrie for getting torched by Ted Ginn on the post route. What can Carrie really do there?

I think it's telling where he finished as a corner if you look at the year as a whole.

Dave Amerson is the guy to watch. IMO he had some bad luck last year, but he's the key to this secondary in my eyes. If he excels, the back end could be looking pretty good. If not... well, more of the same.

At least neither guy will have to cover a team's fastest, shiftiest receiver anymore. No more Tyreek Hill, Tyrell Williams, and Emmanuel Sanders abusing our outside guys. Conley will allow these 2 to do what they do best IMO.

18 hours ago, daineraider said:

Good news as Edwards and Irvin were cleared and to practice today.

Hell yeah it is. It is always a hold your breathe type of thing counting the days guys miss. They were only out 2 I think. Coop was bck in too. I wanna hear if Carrie hand is serious...

MEJ is going to be a major wildcard for us this year. IF he can remain healthy, our entire D should be elevated. We have seen flashes of dominance from him and I pray to god he can stay on the field long enough to be a force for us. We need other players other than Mack/Irvin in the front 7 to show up every game.

Things I've noticed from Twitter:

• E.J. Manuel getting a lot of love as the primary backup to Carr.
  • Vanderdoes making noise as an interior presence. Looks like he belongs.
  • Melifonwu not standing out so far.
  • Washington ahead of Richard in the RB rotation thus far.
  • K.J. Brent primary replacement for Cooper when he's been out.
  • Jared Cook and Clive Walford competing well.
  • Tyrell Adams and Marquel Lee are the clubhouse leaders to start at LB.
  • Carr up and down, but is showing good mobility.

4 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

https://twitter.com/victafur/status/893690062503686144

not embedding for some reason but says Sean Smith relegated to second team in scrimmages with Carrie and Anderson running with the ones and Breon Borders coming in on 3 DB sets.

Interesting. Been hearing a lot about Borders. 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/8/4/16100168/raiders-training-camp-day-6-sean-smith-drops-to-second-team-three-of-top-four-draft-picks-out

Second team defensive backfield was Sean Smith and Dexter McDonald at the corner spots and Keith McGill and Shalom Luani at the safety spots.

These spots weren’t random. Borders, McDonald, and Luani have been the best looking young players at their positions. They all earn their reps. Though Borders working first team was still a surprise.

Borders was slot CB with the first team.  Conley's been dealing with shin splints.  Have not heard a single thing about Obi until I read he was sitting out the other day.....

Archived