Cubs sign Yu Darvish

pwny

2 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

Darvish

Lester

Quintana

Hendricks

Chatwood

Wiiiiiide range of outcomes with those five. Looks like a reasonable-to-good deal for both sides. Darvish will get some more quality chances at a ring - but he'll have to go through Dodgers and/or Nationals to do so.

i lol'd

51 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I'm a little surprised how many people think this is a great deal.  Is it b/c Theo did it?

I think it’s because the best pitcher on the market only got 21 AAV, barring him winning multiple CYs, at which point you don’t care if you have to pay him more. I would have been perfectly fine with 5/126. But those extra few million a year will be huge going forward as the Cubs blow past the luxury tax starting next year. 

1 hour ago, playmaker8267 said:

Darvish

Lester

Quintana

Hendricks

Chatwood

Wiiiiiide range of outcomes with those five. Looks like a reasonable-to-good deal for both sides. Darvish will get some more quality chances at a ring - but he'll have to go through Dodgers and/or Nationals to do so.

With Yu and Chatwood for sure, given their injury history. Q has literally been the most dependable SP in baseball the past few years. Lester and Hendricks are dependable as well. Honestly, there is probably less variation with that rotation than the vast majority of teams.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

With Yu and Chatwood for sure, given their injury history. Q has literally been the most dependable SP in baseball the past few years. Lester and Hendricks are dependable as well. Honestly, there is probably less variation with that rotation than the vast majority of teams.

On the whole, you're probably right. However, Lester and Quintana (for much of the season, anyway) showed us what down years look like for them last year. I doubt either of them repeats their 2017 numbers, but still, it's possible.

Archived