Should He Stay Or Should He Go: D. Irving

Texas_OutLaw7

WHAT DO WE DO WITH THIS FA?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THIS FA?

• 1st Round Tender, if another team signs him let him walk (5% chance).
    • 1st Round Tender, Match whatever contract another team offers. (top 5 money)
    • 2nd Round Tender, if another team signs him let him walk (35% chance).
    • 2nd Round Tender, Match whatever contract another team offers. (top 5 money)
    • Original-round Tender (Lose David).
    • Right of First Refusal (Lose David).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/13/2018 at 02:54 AM

Historically speaking, Dallas retains less than half of all FA's. So who would you end up keeping? We will end up voting on all of them.

• Alfred Morris, RB - Not re-signed.
  • Keith Smith, FB (RFA)
  • Brice Butler, WR - Not re-signed
  • Joe Looney, G - Signed short term deal.
  • Jonathan Cooper, G
  • Byron Bell, RT
  • L.P. Ladouceur, LS
  • David Irving, DT (RFA)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence, DE - Signed long term deal.
  • Anthony Hitchens, ILB - Not re-signed.
  • Kyle Wilber, OLB
  • Bene Benwikere, CB - Not re-signed.

This list won't include anyone who is a ERFA.

What should we do with: David Irving, DT (RFA)

I'll give him a first round tender and if a team is going to sign him to a massive deal, they can have him. I don't expect that to be the case, and we would keep him on a bargain one year deal. The try to extend him if he can prove his worth over a full season. Full season being the key part.

Let me ask this. Say there is some info we don't know that the front office does know. Say, that nothing could compel them to re-sign D.I. long term. So at most you get one year before he walks our you franchise. 

If he walks after next year, the greatest comp pick you can get is a 3rd. 

Knowing that. Does that change your mind? Would you take a second in this draft? Or a one year rental and a future third?

8 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Let me ask this. Say there is some info we don't know that the front office does know. Say, that nothing could compel them to re-sign D.I. long term. So at most you get one year before he walks our you franchise. 

If he walks after next year, the greatest comp pick you can get is a 3rd. 

Knowing that. Does that change your mind? Would you take a second in this draft? Or a one year rental and a future third?

I voted for a 1st because I feel like, a 2nd rounder this year is equal value to a 3rd round comp next year coupled with another year with the player.

If Dallas puts a 2nd rounder on him and gets one, I am not complaining. This is a guy we signed off a practice squad, and has only performed well under Rod Marinelli. At 6'7" 285 or whatever he is, he isn't a fit for everyones scheme, and he is one bad test away from missing 10 games. 

1st round tender is fine because he stays one more year for cheap and we will still get a profitable ROI at the end.

2nd round tender is fine because he stays one more year for even cheaper, or someone signs him and we get a top 50 pick this year. 

I am fine with either. The only options I don't want are the ones where we sign him big right now.

It might be me, but If Dallas puts a 2nd round tender and I am the Cleveland Browns I am trying to sign him to a tender ASAP. They have (3) 2nd round picks this year which are 33, 35, and 64. I would feel comfortable giving away the 33rd overall pick in this draft knowing I just had the 1st overall and 4th overall pick in the draft to sign David Irving who would step in and upgrade my 3 tech immediately. Also he is a very familiar player to the GM of the Cleveland Browns John Dorsey. This makes too much sense to me as Irving is someone who can come in and play mismatch on the defensive line with Myles Garrett.

Probably the most difficult question Dallas faces this offseason- at the very least, the one with the most possible outcomes, as the variety of poll options have indicated.

I think Dallas wants to let the market establish Irving's value, but in doing so, they might find him signed to a "poison pill" contract they can't even come close to matching, i.e. a frontloaded one- say, $15M base salary in '18 + escalators/incentives, then goes down from there. I know that sounds insane for such an unproven player, but it's hard to understate how rare it is for a young pass rusher of his caliber to become available, or how much cap room there is league-wide, or the effect that the Pats and Eagles (who've been extremely aggressive in trading their picks for players in the last two years) will have on some teams.

Obviously, if you put a 2nd on him, you run the risk of a team like Philly or New England nabbing him for a 60s pick. That'd be no fun. But another possible outcome would be the Browns (who have more picks and cap space than they can make use of) or the Colts (who nabbed Eberflus and also have oodles of cap room and a limited young talent nucleus) signing him away from us to the aforementioned poison pill. The 33-35th pick is a hell of a lot more valuable than the 60-64th, and presumably what DAL is looking for if/when we slap him with the second.

Personally, I'd give him the first round tender. The difference is, what, $1.4M compared to second round? For a guy every bit as dominant as D-Law on a per-snap basis if not more so? Why not make him prove it on a contract year, and reserve the right to tag him next year if he plays 16 games and makes plays at the same rate? A 2018 second rounder sounds nice compared to a comp pick in 2 or 3 years, until you realize we've only made two good picks in that round this whole decade.

32 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Would give us the flexibility to grab Wynn or Hernandez without having to trade. Could be something like:

19: Derwin James

33. Will Hernandez

50: Duke Ejiofor

If we lose D.I. and don't draft a single DT in the first two rounds, I will be pretty pissed.

Archived