Free Agent Rumors

Texas_OutLaw7

20 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Pretty much.

To this point, Zeke has caught 58 of 77 targets (75.3%) for 632 yards (10.9 YPC, 8.2 YPA) and 3 touchdowns. I believe Dak has thrown all those passes, alongside 1 very bad INT when targeting Zeke (the pick 6 against Seattle), which adds up to a passer rating of 106.6. And yet, Zeke averages 2.3 catches for 25.3 yards for his career. Out of roughly 65 plays a game, we basically try to get the ball to our best playmaker in space 3 times a game, give or take.

And that's almost all screens, flat routes, and 6 yard hitches out of the backfield. Why not get him on a wheel route, or an angle, or an out, or hell even a slant- Ohio State did all of that. Most LBs in the league aren't gonna hang with that, certainly not in our division. Even the threat of any of those plays should contort a defense favorably for the rest of our skill players. But, you know, nah. We're gonna keep running the same 12 plays we have since the 90's, because apparently Jason's Princeton education didn't teach him that the salary cap was specifically crafted to prevent a team like the 90's Cowboys from existing again.

I get that passing over throwing more next year isn't a popular notion here, but, I mean, when you look around the league, almost all of the most efficient offenses in the league are targeting their RBs in the passing game 100+ times a year. You're getting basically getting twice as many yards as running the ball on average with extremely limited risk. I know Dak threw that aforementioned pick-6 when throwing to Zeke, but, that really shouldn't happen. Was just a remarkably bad read and throw from a clearly flustered QB who'd lost control of his mechanics- and if that doesn't change next year, none of this matters anyway.

I wouldn't mind doing what the Rams did with Gurley this year. 279 carries (only 2.6 less carries/gm than Zeke in '16) but he had 64 receptions. Zeke had 15 his rookie year, and was on pace for the same this year.

The thing with Sanders and so many WRs like him is that they profile as a Z, or a T-Will replacement. Which is what everyone wants, but he’s the one guy with a guaranteed salary...

I kinda don’t think we can afford to spend any more free agent money at the position unless we *really* blow it up (i.e. dump Dez and Beas, which I can’t envision)

Also, I've been wondering what you guys think about giving Dexter McCluster a workout in the off-season.  He hasn't played since 2016 and his injury was a random freak accident of a broken arm that he got from lifting luggage, and then he was cut.  All reports is that he's a great locker-room guy and still in fantastic football shape while waiting on a call from a team.

He'd be available for peanuts I'm guessing and might bring in a spark in the return game and different offensive looks.

Archived