General Final Fantasy Thread

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Magus in chono trigger is my fave game character of all time. He was Vegeta before (I think?) Vegeta.

Chrono Trigger came out in 1995.  Vegeta debuted in the comics in 1988 and then in the tv show around 1990.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:56 PM, Calvert28 said:

I still feel FF2 (FF4) still was the best out of all the FF's with 6 coming just behind that one. Chrono Trigger is neck and neck with 6 IMO.

I think the advances it made (introducing the ATB mechanic) and of course, the large party and 12 playable characters, I can see why it gets the love, too.   I just feel that FFVI's storyline was even more compelling and in-depth, and the 2-world story mechanic was just so advanced for its time.    And it's just so much fun to play with so many different combos (and it rewarded you so much for levelling up with increased abilities that were just so damn fun to discover).   Still, I get the FFIV love - the pinnacle of gameplay/story with originality IMO was IV & VI.   VII/X/XII were great, but the emphasis certainly changed to creating visual experiences as much as great stories, and the gameplay advances were much more limited.  

Chrono Trigger's 12 different SNES endings, though... along with the great gameplay, epic story, memorable characters and soundtrack...man.  Such a great trio (FFIV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger) and that's before we count Secret of Mana & the Japan only FFV....man, Squaresoft was at its peak then. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Played a few hours of XV...I just can't get into it. I got to the port, talked to someone and ended up with like 15 points of interest on my map. I just don't have time for that kind of stuff right now. 

Yeah, there's a TON to do at first if you want. If you stick to the main story though, it's not terribly long. I really liked it.

20 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Yeah, there's a TON to do at first if you want. If you stick to the main story though, it's not terribly long. I really liked it.

Is it reasonable to just kind of stick to the main path and ignore all of the side content? 

56 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Is it reasonable to just kind of stick to the main path and ignore all of the side content? 

Absolutely.  The only value in the side content is it can help you grind levels, and it does give you upgrades for the car.  I'm going off memory, but I think the major ones that had some story impact, or allowed you to customize your car, were below, I think you can pretty much skip the rest.  I would make sure you camp enough though that you get character moments with the gang.   Going off memory, I pulled this off a chat and agree with the list:

Zhu Hunt
Regalia Upgrades (Cindy's quests)
Vyv's photo quest were interesting by the end
Optional Imperial Base
All the Royal Arms - Balouve Mines* deserves a special mention (you get some story expansion)

Honestly, though, I'd play FFXI, IX & X, XII all before XV if you're never done them.   I think waiting for FFVII remake is the right call, the upgrade in graphics and hopefully fixing that horrible dialogue would upgrade it in a way that ages well.   Still remember FFVII so fondly, but over time it doesn't hold a candle to FFVI and even X/XII age better, once you get over the VII visual upgrade that was so eye-opening then, but so ordinary (and even subpar) now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Lions017 said:

Finished Final Fantasy IX. I enjoyed the story and characters a lot, but man is that game slow at times. The fast-forward (double speed) feature of the Switch version really helped with grinding. 

That was my biggest complaint about the game when it came out on the psx. I remember being totally stoked about the game after playing through the first disc, and then the game just came to a screeching half thereafter. Didn't enjoy it all that much after that. 

12 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Absolutely. I know it wasn't a fan favorite but I really liked the story in this game. I feel they could've done a better job developing the villain but whatever. Like Bronco said, camp enough to get the interactions. This game focuses on comradery and I also feel it's important to get these scenes. You never know, once you play more you might decide to start going hunting which I really liked as well. Not gonna say it's my favorite of all time or even in my top 3 but I enjoyed it for sure! 

FWIW top 3:

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I will probably hold off as long as I can with Cyberpunk out the month before. Kinks can be worked out on this, and I will hopefully be able to fully enjoy. 

Oh is that getting released a month before? I've seen trailers for it and read it's a massively hyped game so maybe I'll check it out also. I think 7R will be a day one purchase for me. I absolutely loved this game and can't wait to play it again. It's been so long since I played it that it'll essentially be a brand new game for me minus the characters.

10 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I've only ever played FFXV and I'm not a huge fan, but I am kind of excited about this game. I didn't realize though that they changed the combat system from turn based to real time. Seems like they could have made it optional. How do yall feel about this change?

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

I've only ever played FFXV and I'm not a huge fan, but I am kind of excited about this game. I didn't realize though that they changed the combat system from turn based to real time. Seems like they could have made it optional. How do yall feel about this change?

Don't base the FF series on XV. You'd be doing yourself a big disservice lol. VII is a staple RPG and, IMO, one of the greatest games ever made and it's still not even my favorite FF game.

I think turn based is archaic and I like this better. Turn-based is the norm of FF games so I get people's gripes and they definitely have them. I embrace and enjoy the change though. 

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

Don't base the FF series on XV. You'd be doing yourself a big disservice lol. VII is a staple RPG and, IMO, one of the greatest games ever made and it's still not even my favorite FF game.

I think turn based is archaic and I like this better. Turn-based is the norm of FF games so I get people's gripes and they definitely have them. I embrace and enjoy the change though. 

I kinda missed old turn based games like Vandal Hearts (different style with movement tiles) or Legend of Dragoon (FF style I think). Been wanting a good one for mobile since I think they translate well to that platform. I'm sure real time action will be more fun for me, but I am surprised they are making that change to such a classic. Very bold move imo.