General Final Fantasy Thread

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I highly doubt it will be linear but am absolutely in agreement about it needing to be complete. 15 really lacked there aside from the first continent and that part was superb IMO. If you hate linear games, skip 7R lol. It's the definition of linear but still a ton of fun and damn gorgeous of a game. 7R2 has to be open world though. There's no way around it.

Looking forward to learning more about XVI though. If I have a PS5 at that time, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Edit: Just read both the producer and director are well known for their work on XIV and MMORPG games in general. I hope that's not the path they're going with this. Not at all. 

I dont hate linear GAMES, but I much prefer my RPGs to be non-linear.    I just remember exploring the worlds of Final Fantasy, and then 13 came along and it honestly didnt feel like Final Fantasy to me.   I didnt hate 13 like many did, but I wasnt happy about the direction they took (HATED the characters in 13).     15 was better, but yeah, I feel like that game was supposed to be alot bigger than it turned out to be, but ultimately was rushed out (even though it was largely polished).  

The beginning of the original FF7 was pretty linear, so I expected part 1 to be that way.   I will absolutely be playing that sometime.

When I saw "Final Fantasy 16", my initial though was "Its probably the next ONLINE FF game".     We will see what it turns out to be.   The combat was reminiscent of 15.    I am going to remain optimistic about it, but like I said....Final Fantasy 10 is the last FF game that didnt disappoint me in some way, and that was almost 20 years ago (damn Im getting old 😪), so my optimism is tempered.    

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Yes Yoshida is best known for being the producer/director of FF14, no this isn't an MMO if that's what you're worried about. 

Yeah, definitely am. I really hope it's not. This is reminding me of back in the day when we were pelted w/ new FF games and it was awesome. In the last 5 years or so, we would've gotten 15, 7R, and 16? That's awesome! I can't wait to see more of this.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont hate linear GAMES, but I much prefer my RPGs to be non-linear.    I just remember exploring the worlds of Final Fantasy, and then 13 came along and it honestly didnt feel like Final Fantasy to me.   I didnt hate 13 like many did, but I wasnt happy about the direction they took (HATED the characters in 13).     15 was better, but yeah, I feel like that game was supposed to be alot bigger than it turned out to be, but ultimately was rushed out (even though it was largely polished).  

The beginning of the original FF7 was pretty linear, so I expected part 1 to be that way.   I will absolutely be playing that sometime.

When I saw "Final Fantasy 16", my initial though was "Its probably the next ONLINE FF game".     We will see what it turns out to be.   The combat was reminiscent of 15.    I am going to remain optimistic about it, but like I said....Final Fantasy 10 is the last FF game that didnt disappoint me in some way, and that was almost 20 years ago (damn Im getting old 😪), so my optimism is tempered.    

See I had forgot about the Midgar part being so linear. I guess when I saw the HLTB times, I thought it would be more open but it's not. Regardless, I loved everything about it minus that one detail which, like I said, I know they'll fix in 7R2. I never played 13 or 10 so I can't comment on it. I really liked 12 though. Not sure if you played that but I would recommend it!

You're right about the combat preview we got in this trailer. It almost looks like the characters are infused w/ espers/summons somehow. Like the Phoenix wings appear during some of those attacks. I dunno. I'm confused about this but that's fine since I'm guessing we're still 2 years away from this right now, if not longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 12:35 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Debating if I should buy a PS4 while I'm stuck in the US when this releases as mine is stuck in Beijing right now..... The biggest of world wide issues, I assure you.

I didn't end up buying a PS4 to tide me over while in the US. Got home just in time for Golden Week so have had a week to play the remake. I don't remember much of anything from the original outside Aerith. Took me a while to pick up the combat, but now that I have it down I'm loving it. Stuck on the "Pay Your Respects" side quest. 

On 9/17/2020 at 3:04 AM, 43M said:

Did you play 12? 

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Did you play 12? 

Played it back in 2006 when it first came out, but never finished it.      I remember enjoying it, but not the same way I enjoyed previous FF games.   I recall not really getting into the characters much.

Im tempted to go back and play the remaster at some point.

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Played it back in 2006 when it first came out, but never finished it.      I remember enjoying it, but not the same way I enjoyed previous FF games.   I recall not really getting into the characters much.

Im tempted to go back and play the remaster at some point.

Ive played it several times but never finished it.  The game is huge.  I bought the remaster recently when it was on sale.  I need to carve out some time to play it.  

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

12 got a lot of hate but I'm not sure why. I really enjoyed it. You guys go have fun w/ Yiazmat now!

I didnt hate it.   It was just the first FF game where the characters didnt really resonate with me.   13s characters were so much worse, but I kinda liked 13.   15s characters and story had a chance to be special, but never followed through.

56 minutes ago, 43M said:

I didnt hate it.   It was just the first FF game where the characters didnt really resonate with me.   13s characters were so much worse, but I kinda liked 13.   15s characters and story had a chance to be special, but never followed through.

I didn't mean you or anyone here, just overall. I think most of the gripes were involving the battle system which I actually enjoyed. The characters absolutely weren't the greatest but they weren't the worst of the series. I really liked the world though. That's what really kept me in.

I actually really liked the camaraderie among the characters in XV. Definitely lacked in other departments though. 

Heard a rumor that VIIR2 won't be open world (probably not reliable but never know). I'm not sure I'll play it if it's not. There's far too much out there to not be and I'll be too disappointed and undoubtedly be looking for stuff they won't include. 

• Like 1

I recently started 12, but didn't get really far. As a huge fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, I wish I liked it more than I do. I just can't get past the combat system. It just feels odd to be able to move, yet feel like you have no control over the battle. Comparitively, I love 13 for it's combat system. Despite going back to a pure turn based system, I felt like I was in full control of the battle (for the most part). I haven't played 13-2/3 to comment on them. I also haven't played the FF7 remake, but correct me if I'm wrong, it slightly borrows from 13's chain/break system right? I really like that system for whatever reason and definitely made my interest in the remake go up substantially. 

13 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I recently started 12, but didn't get really far. As a huge fan of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, I wish I liked it more than I do. I just can't get past the combat system. It just feels odd to be able to move, yet feel like you have no control over the battle. 

I haven't played it many years but can't you turn gambits off to have complete control?

22 hours ago, 43M said:

I actually like 13 too.  Funny cause I look back at 12 more fondly but I never finished that one while I did finish 13.  

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I actually like 13 too.  Funny cause I look back at 12 more fondly but I never finished that one while I did finish 13.  

Dude, I am the exact same way. 12 I remember being a better game, but in two attempts I have never finished it.