General Final Fantasy Thread

On 10/7/2020 at 5:18 PM, MKnight82 said:

I actually like 13 too.  Funny cause I look back at 12 more fondly but I never finished that one while I did finish 13.  

On 10/8/2020 at 8:16 AM, MikeT14 said:

Dude, I am the exact same way. 12 I remember being a better game, but in two attempts I have never finished it. 

It's the sequels.  13-2 and 13-3 were....so....bad.  Characters were so poorly written, and especially 2's divergence from the characters background set up in the first one.

13 wasn't perfect by any means, but I did like the characters, and as convoluted as the storyline was, it had me invested in their fates.   2 & 3 just kinda threw it all away.

I couldn't finish 13-3.  I just watched the 4 hour cut-scenes so I could finish the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviews are trickling in for XVI and they've been mostly positive to fantastic. I went ahead and bought it. Not even gonna wait now.

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-review

9 - Amazing

Featuring fast, reflex driven, action heavy combat, Final Fantasy 16 is certainly a departure from what fans may expect out of a Final Fantasy game, but its excellent story, characters, and world building are right up there with the best the series has to offer, and the innovative Active Time Lore feature should set a new standard for how lengthy, story-heavy games keep players invested in its world.

https://kotaku.com/review-final-fantasy-16-ffxvi-ps5-rpg-release-date-1850558485

A bold and risky pivot toward action for Square Enix’s beloved RPG franchise, Final Fantasy XVI is a stunning achievement that revitalizes the series for a new age—and it just may be the best the series has been in more than 20 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/06/21/final-fantasy-xvi-reviews-are-in-and-they-are-great/?sh=1934c37a3a40

As it stands, Final Fantasy XVI has a 90 on Opencritic in an age when anything over a 90 is at the very least a GOTY contender, and right now its an 88 on Metacritic, but that keeps jumping around. That makes it the sixth best-reviewed PS5 game of 2023 so far, an admittedly extremely good year already.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/21/1183279538/final-fantasy-xvi-16-review

Often impressive and at times unparalleled, Final Fantasy XVI is not only a worthy entry in the legendary series, it's also one of the best (trust me — I've been playing a lot of this series recently).

• Like 2

Just watched my first review and it echoes a lot of what I've been reading which is it's basically a better version of GoWR which I am finding to be insanely fun at the moment. I've read/listened to a handful of reviews and almost all of them mention GoWR which is pretty funny TBH.

Can't wait to play this!

6 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

This is the most fun I've had in the series in a long time. Probably since twelve first came out.

It’s been a lot of fun so far. I think battles are a little easy/repetitive already but everything else is so engaging. 

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It’s been a lot of fun so far. I think battles are a little easy/repetitive already but everything else is so engaging. 

I hope they change their mind and allow that harder setting to become available before beating the game. I rarely play games a second time, especially longer ones, so I'd like to see that happen. That's one thing I felt about 15. I think I died like 1 time the entire playthrough. Already died like 100 in GoWR and that's fine as I don't want the game to be easy

16 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Only about two hours in but ATL during cutscenes is a god send. Simple way to review who is who and what places are. Way more manageable 

100%.  Game-changer for me.  I don't really get the chance to focus on just one game most of the time, so it can be pretty hard to forget all that is going on, especially in a game like Final Fantasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I haven't really played action combo games like Devil May Cry, so the battles are pretty engaging for me because I'm still learning how to combo and optimize. 

I still need to learn how go airborne and stay in the air. I've seen some videos of people doing sick combos.

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

I haven't really played action combo games like Devil May Cry, so the battles are pretty engaging for me because I'm still learning how to combo and optimize. 

I still need to learn how go airborne and stay in the air. I've seen some videos of people doing sick combos.

Yeah I’m still learning that too!

6 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Finished now. One of my favorite stories in modern gaming. 

I havent bought a game for full price in nearly a decade, but I am tempted to with the reviews I am seeing....and Final Fantasy is one of my favorite franchises.

• Like 2