Jrry32 Mock Off-Season - 2/10/18

jrry32

I'm starting to churn a bunch of these out as I get to see more and more players. I'm also starting to get excited for the Combine. Draft season is officially here!

Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend
DT Aaron Donald - 6 years $120 million
WR Sammy Watkins - 3 years $30 million
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman - 5 years $25 million
S LaMarcus Joyner - 5 years $42.5 million
S Cody Davis - 3 years $4.5 million
C John Sullivan - 1 year $1.5 million
DT Tyrunn Walker - NFL minimum
OLB Connor Barwin - 1 year $1.5 million
CB Troy Hill - ERFA
HB Malcolm Brown - ERFA
OLB Matt Longacre - RFA
LS Jake McQuaide - 3 years $4.5 million

Trumaine asks for too much and ends up walking. We bring Sammy back on a 3 year $30 million deal. It's a win-win for Sammy and us. Other than that, it's pretty standard.

Free Agency
CB Aqib Talib - 2 years $18 million
ILB Navorro Bowman - 1 year $4 million
OLB Aaron Lynch - 1 years $1.5 million
NT Beau Allen - 3 years $6 million

Talib was a star in Wade's defense before and should be more affordable than Tru due to his age. He's still one of the NFL's best press CBs. Yes, he's a bit of a knucklehead, but he's also a hell of a player. I can deal with his shenanigans if he's locking down #1 WRs for us.

Bowman is brought in to play the thumper role next to Ogletree. We give him an affordable, short deal to bring leadership and run-stuffing ability. I think he'd be a good guy to have in the locker-room. I also think he can really be a positive influence for Ogletree and our other young LBs. Plus, he doesn't have to go far from Oakland/SF.

Lynch is us taking a chance on a low risk/high reward player. We give basically nothing in guarantees. He has some character issues, but he also is an incredibly talented player who can really get after the QB. He no longer fits SF's scheme, and Wade is one of the best in the game at building relationships with his players.

We bring in Beau Allen to give us some beef in the middle. He's been a strong run-stopping presence in the middle for Philly the past few years, but he doesn't bring much pass rush potential with him. That ought to make him fairly cheap. He'll give Wade more of a true NT.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #23 - Mike Hughes CB UCF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oJybcJ9Z0
Round 3 Pick #23 - Shaquem Griffin ILB/OLB UCF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jFL3W1Z7E
Round 4 Pick #23 - Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZaO_TpMYo
Round 5 Pick #23 - P.J. Hall NT/DE Sam Houston State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N28LPQw0hCU
Round 6 Pick #20 - Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Pk7mMm8Iw
Round 6 Pick #21 - Scott Quessenberry C/OG UCLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrruoBYB0o
Round 6 Pick #23 - Phillip Lindsay HB Colorado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lpqc99k9-I

Analysis: We spend our first round pick on CB Mike Hughes from UCF. At 5'11" 192, Hughes is a tad undersized, but he doesn't play small. Hughes is an outstanding fit here because the strongest part of his game is press-man coverage. He still is growing as an off-man and zone CB when it comes to pattern and route recognition as he only has one year of starting experience at the FBS level (JUCO transfer). However, in press-man coverage, he shows outstanding feet and hip flexibility. He's aggressive with his upper body using a jarring punch, but he's patient in the lower body. He really beats up WRs off the line and doesn't make it easy for them to get free releases. And when it comes time to turn and run, he has the deep speed to stay in their hip pocket along with the quickness to break off the route. He also got better and better as the year went on using his the sideline as an extra defender. I think he'll be a very valuable player in our scheme. He also has the athleticism to slide inside if we want Kayvon playing outside CB when we go into our subpackages.

Our second pick (in the third round) is spent on Shaquem Griffin. Many people have him rated as a Day 3 pick, and some even have him rated as a 7th round pick or UDFA. Personally, I think this is similar to the disrespect Aaron Donald was given throughout his senior season before he blew up at the Senior Bowl. Donald's size scared teams. Griffin's missing hand also likely scares teams. However, after the Senior Bowl and Combine, it was clear that Donald's size issues were overblown. I expect the same to be true with Griffin after the Combine. He already had a great Senior Bowl week and won Practice Player of the Week. I expect him to dominate at the Combine by posting great jump and agility numbers and running a 40 in the 4.45 to 4.55 range. Griffin checks in at 6'0" 222 with surprising power and elite burst/speed. Griffin closes like few can at the LB position. He's been a highly-effective pass rusher because of his ability diverse set of rush moves and evolved pass rush plan along with his elite speed and quickness off the edge. He doesn't have the size to hold up as an edge, but he should be an effective blitzer. Griffin has had plenty of snaps in coverage and shows the athleticism to handle M2M coverage responsibilities in the NFL. In the running game, he's a sideline-to-sideline LB who will sift through traffic to make TFLs. He can also close from the backside due to his incredible speed. Despite his small stature, Griffin has shown the ability to work off of and through blockers. Griffin's missing hand can limit him at times. It can make it harder for him to disengage from blocks and can cause him to miss tackles. However, Griffin's unique blend of elite speed for his position along with top-notch instincts means that the tackles he generally misses due to his hand are tackles that few other LBs would have been in a position to make. Griffin is a film room junkie who went as far as to put his mattress in there during camp. It shows in his play through his tremendous instincts, tendency to be in the right place at the right time, and his evolved pass rush plan. Simply put, if Griffin had two hands, I think he'd be considered one of the top players in the Draft. His game reminds me of Lavonte David and Deion Jones.

Desmond Harrison is a long and tremendously-athletic OT. He's definitely a project as he competed against a low level of competition at West Georgia. He was one of the top HS players in the nation but was kicked out of Texas for disciplinary issues. He had to sit out the Senior Bowl due to illness and only checked in at 279 pounds. However, he measured in at 6'6" with nearly 35 inch arms and 10.5 inch hands. On the field, Harrison is an easy mover and bender with a mean streak. He's a raw player who will need time to put on weight in the NFL, but he has the athletic gifts of a top LT. Kromer and Whitworth will have time to work with this kid and get him ready to play on Sundays.

P.J. Hall is an incredibly productive DL who played at Sam Houston State. At 6'0" 310, he is an interesting fit at either NT or DE in our scheme. He'll need some time to develop and get used to the NFL game, but he's a powerful kid who wins with natural leverage and quality hand usage. He's been compared to Grady Jarrett. He finished his career at SHSU with 284 tackles (61 per year), 86.5 TFLs (22 TFLs per year), 42 sacks (10.5 sacks per year), 9 FFs, 4 Ints, and 14 blocked kicks.

Tyler Conklin is a solid athlete who displays good blocking ability. He has a lot of similarities to Derek Carrier. Coming off a Jones fracture, there are some big questions about his foot that he'll need to clear up at the Combine. Scott Quessenberry is a guy whom I've liked for years. He has the versatility to play anywhere on the interior, good size at 6'5" 315, and a lot of experience as a starter. Athletically, he's pretty average all around, but he's a smart player with good technique who will play through the whistle. His brother, David, overcame cancer to return to the NFL. Scott seems like a kid who could end up starting for us at Center down the line.

Phillip Lindsay's nickname is the "Tasmanian Devil" because of his endless energy, toughness, and refusal to let his size limit him. At 5'8" 190 pounds, Lindsay is definitely undersized, but that didn't stop him from rushing for 2726 yards and 30 TDs over the past two seasons at Colorado. He also caught 76 passes during that time. Lindsay is a fearless pass protector who will stonewall edge rushers despite his small stature. He saved his QB from a number of hits in college. He's actually been compared to Chris Thompson by some, and there's validity to the comparison. Lindsay is small with good speed, great pass protection skills, and good pass-catching skills. He won't break a lot of tackles as a runner, but he'll get what's blocked. He has the potential to be a valuable HB on passing downs.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Beau Allen
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Robert Quinn
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Navorro Bowman
SOLB: Connor Barwin
LCB: Aqib Talib
RCB: Mike Hughes
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I would be completely happy with this off-seson. We addressed the lost of Trumaine with Aqib. Then added another younger corner to start, especially if Webster isn't all the way ready. Love the front seven picks, and we added some much needed depth to the offense.

Archived