How will the 2018 offense change?

vike daddy

i thought this would be an interesting discussion topic for all you bright football minds.

i hope it can be less about personnel, ie: who the starting QB will be as we have a long running topic on that already; but instead more about scheme and intent and design that DeFilippo may want to institute.

have at it, gents. what changes or refinements are we likely to see? what is it that needs to improve to get us a win or two deeper in to the playoffs?

Apparently, everyone that knows his scheme, says it's a TE-friendly scheme, but it's not necessarily in a way that Rudolph fits it all that well.  While I know you don't want us to dwell on the personnel side, there may be a need to add a more athletic TE to the mix to suit DeFillipo's scheme...which is where it'd be nice to still have MyCole Pruitt.  

In the end, I'm not sure there will be a significant change to the offensive scheme, maybe some minor tweaks...but both Shurmur and DeFilippo are WCO guys, although they took different paths, as Shurmur is more of a straight Andy Reid guy, while DeFilippo has had all kinds of different experience, ranging from a Schottenheimer-style offense to a Tom Coughlin-style offense to a Denny Green-style offense to a Pete Carroll-style offense.   

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

how so?

Currently we have 2 WR’s that are more “talented” than any WR he has ever been around outside of maybe Alshon Jeffery. But they are completely different that what he had in Oakland while working the Redzone offense, Cleveland, or Philly. How he uses them will be a little different. Diggs/Thielen strengths are much different than Jeffery/Smith/Agholor, Or any of the non excistent WR’s in Oakland or Cleveland.

RB situation is also different. Cook is probably the most athletic RB to ever be around in his system. Given they acquired Jay Ajayi, Cook is also far different. JDF never has had that type of back.

Rudolph isn’t exactly the type of TE you’ve seen in this system. Either is Morgan. 

I am just interested in home much he just keeps everything to the strengths of this team vs what he has done in previous stops. I’m not to familiar with what he exactly did in Oakland as the “Redzone Guy” but it’s hard to get a sure read off what he will do compared to Cleveland or Philly.

24 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Gary Barnidge(who?!) thrived in 2015, surely that means good things for Rudolph?

No, as they are different types of TEs, as Barnidge was far more athletic than Rudolph is.  Rudolph is more of a power forward type at TE, where he utilizes body positioning to get open (which is why he is a Red Zone target), while Barnidge was more of a YAC version of a TE and was utilized more in between the 20s than Rudolph.   

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

No, as they are different types of TEs, as Barnidge was far more athletic than Rudolph is.  Rudolph is more of a power forward type at TE, where he utilizes body positioning to get open (which is why he is a Red Zone target), while Barnidge was more of a YAC version of a TE and was utilized more in between the 20s than Rudolph.   

I think Rudolph is being severely underrated for his athleticism because he’s not been used between the 20s primarily because of the poor offensive line play. 

I hope DeFilippo will call the offense like Pederson did.  Aggressive.  Bill Walsh envisioned the WCO as an attacking offense built on precision.  Unfortunately, some have made it into a conservative, safe offense (looking at you Andy Reid and Brad Childress).  I hope that the Vikings will make the WCO explosive again!

Archived