How will the 2018 offense change?

vike daddy

One thing that I hadn't noticed until I just watched that video - Cook's ability to accelerate again after being stopped or bounced backward is pretty remarkable. It gives him the ability to avoid the no gain/two yard loss plays that many were frustrated with when Peterson was here. 

I'm excited to see him play again.

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

One thing that I hadn't noticed until I just watched that video - Cook's ability to accelerate again after being stopped or bounced backward is pretty remarkable. It gives him the ability to avoid the no gain/two yard loss plays that many were frustrated with when Peterson was here. 

Yeah, I’m hungry for the Cook to return. The guy is the  Creme Brûlée of RB’s. 

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Do you think its possible he lost that after tearing his ACL?

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you think its possible he lost that after tearing his ACL?

It’s possible, but I’d find it unlikely. 

Advancements in how ACL surgeries are conducted, repairing a knee ligament is dang near a non invasive procedure these days, with players bending their knee and rehabbing almost as soon as they are out of surgery. 

• 2 months later...

From 2014:

Pettine indicated at the NFL Combine the Browns have been in contact with impending free agent Jordan Cameron, but there’s a chance the tight end doesn’t return. DeFilippo said he’s very comfortable with Jim Dray and Gary Barnidge as his “Y” tight ends, who will primarily be blockers in the run game.

The other tight end in DeFilippo’s offense is called the “F” – who will be lined up all over the field trying to exploit the defense. If Cameron returns, he’s shown the knack for making big plays. If not, the Browns will need to go on a hunt for his replacement. DeFilippo was clear in what his offense will need.

In Oakland, Pro Bowl fullback Marcel Reece was this sort of player.

“A guy that can move around, be a mismatch on a linebacker, can run a choice route, get in and out of breaks on third and fourth down, can win against man-to-man coverage,” DeFilippo said.  “That’s what I think we are in the market for. Everybody is looking for that personnel mismatch to be able to go out and do all those things. It just totally broadens the field for you and widens and makes you much more diverse.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/5-staples-of-the-Browns-offense-under-John-DeFilippo/1bc8f104-c190-412a-810f-e6acd4a8aa5f

How does the current tight end room fit into this philosophy? Can Rudolph play as the F tight end, or will the Vikings need to look for a different option?

When I've read about how JDF spent only one year as OC in Cleveland, I assumed it was due to a poor season for the offense, but it doesn't look like that was the case.

In 2015, DeFilippo's first year as a coordinator, the Browns threw for 4,155 yards, fourth-most in franchise history. It was also the fourth time in team history the club threw for 4,000 yards and rushed for 1,500 yards in the same season.

The 2.0 interception percentage was second-best in franchise annals and the quarterbacks' 12 interceptions were third-fewest in a 16-game season.

Josh McCown finished 14th in the NFL with a 93.3 rating and threw 12 touchdown passes and only four interceptions. Tight end Gary Barnidge's 1,043 receiving yards were second-most by a tight end in Browns history and his nine TDs tied Ozzie Newsome's franchise best.

Running back Duke Johnson's 61 receptions tied for second-most by a Browns rookie. One of DeFilippo's biggest contributions was pushing hard to draft Johnson in the third round last spring.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/01/browns_oc_john_defilippo_told.html

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

From 2014:

Pettine indicated at the NFL Combine the Browns have been in contact with impending free agent Jordan Cameron, but there’s a chance the tight end doesn’t return. DeFilippo said he’s very comfortable with Jim Dray and Gary Barnidge as his “Y” tight ends, who will primarily be blockers in the run game.

The other tight end in DeFilippo’s offense is called the “F” – who will be lined up all over the field trying to exploit the defense. If Cameron returns, he’s shown the knack for making big plays. If not, the Browns will need to go on a hunt for his replacement. DeFilippo was clear in what his offense will need.

In Oakland, Pro Bowl fullback Marcel Reece was this sort of player.

“A guy that can move around, be a mismatch on a linebacker, can run a choice route, get in and out of breaks on third and fourth down, can win against man-to-man coverage,” DeFilippo said.  “That’s what I think we are in the market for. Everybody is looking for that personnel mismatch to be able to go out and do all those things. It just totally broadens the field for you and widens and makes you much more diverse.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/5-staples-of-the-Browns-offense-under-John-DeFilippo/1bc8f104-c190-412a-810f-e6acd4a8aa5f

How does the current tight end room fit into this philosophy? Can Rudolph play as the F tight end, or will the Vikings need to look for a different option?

Rudolph is not that kind of player....but he's also not the Y tight end player either.  He's in-between.  DeFilippo will have to modify his offense to suit Rudolph's game, unless they can get a guy like Goedert in the draft, who is more suited to the F position.  

How is Rudolph not a Y? He lines up in line a lot, and he’s a decent blocker. He’s a better route runner and receiver than a lot of inline TEs but that doesn’t mean he can’t play that role.

Morgan is the closest thing they have to a F tight end on the roster right now. He’s actually a good receiver but he’s not a matchup weapon lining up all over the field. 

From the prospects I’ve seen, I like the idea of them drafting Jaylen Samuels to play that role. He played as a TE, RB, H-back and slot receiver. Short but thickly built, good hands, runs very well after the catch. Comparable to Delanie Walker — a little shorter, but similar build and athleticism. He’s usually mocked in the 4th or 5th round, wouldn’t mind taking him with the late 3rd round pick, maybe after trading down a bit. 

Samuels’ highlights are fun:

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

How is Rudolph not a Y? He lines up in line a lot, and he’s a decent blocker. He’s a better route runner and receiver than a lot of inline TEs but that doesn’t mean he can’t play that role.

Morgan is the closest thing they have to a F tight end on the roster right now. He’s actually a good receiver but he’s not a matchup weapon lining up all over the field. 

From the prospects I’ve seen, I like the idea of them drafting Jaylen Samuels to play that role. He played as a TE, RB, H-back and slot receiver. Short but thickly built, good hands, runs very well after the catch. Comparable to Delanie Walker — a little shorter, but similar build and athleticism. He’s usually mocked in the 4th or 5th round, wouldn’t mind taking him with the late 3rd round pick, maybe after trading down a bit. 

Samuels’ highlights are fun:

I didn't say he can't, I just don't believe he's the ideal fit for that definition that was provided.  He's certainly a better blocker than when he came in, but he's never going to be confused with Kleinsasser or even Steve Jordan in his heyday.  Based upon what currently exists on the roster though, that's probably where Rudolph would fit.    

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

What is Rudolph's current cap situation?

$7.6M each of the next two years. $1.3M dead money hit this year, $0 dead money hit next year. 

He’s a prime candidate for a restructure, or release, this summer or next March. 

Archived