How will the 2018 offense change?

vike daddy

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

$7.6M each of the next two years. $1.3M dead money hit this year, $0 dead money hit next year. 

He’s a prime candidate for a restructure, or release, this summer or next March. 

Agreed.  Next year is far more likely though.  I see them extending him out for 2 or 3 years to lower his cap number next year, like they've done with other veterans.  

One minor change could be the use of more plays from shotgun. About 73% of our passing plays last year came out of shotgun and last year Cousins was at 75%. When JDF was OC in Cleveland, they were at 80%.

Also, #SmallSampleSize, but Dalvin Cook averaged 7 ypc on shotgun runs last year, but they represented only 27% of his runs.

18 minutes ago, Klomp said:

One minor change could be the use of more plays from shotgun. About 73% of our passing plays last year came out of shotgun and last year Cousins was at 75%. When JDF was OC in Cleveland, they were at 80%.

Also, #SmallSampleSize, but Dalvin Cook averaged 7 ypc on shotgun runs last year, but they represented only 27% of his runs.

Just to update, we basically had a 50-50 split between shotgun and under center plays last year. A big chunk of the latter likely came with Murray in the backfield, but I think it's still worth noting. Just to compare again with the '15 Browns, they were 66-34 in favor of shotgun. The '17 Eagles were 70-30 in shotgun.

Another interesting few quotes from DeFilippo in Cleveland, this one on Duke Johnson, who he pushed hard for them to draft:

“I love guys that can do a lot of jobs,” he said. “Skill players that can line up in the backfield on first and second downs and then split them out. It’s so valuable”

“It came to fruition how we envisioned Duke’s role (to be),” Offensive coordinator John DeFilippo said. “He’s not going to have nine catches every game, but it was really good to see."

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/John-DeFilippo-How-we-envisioned-Dukes-role-75042440

As we get closer to the draft, I keep wondering if this is a player type we'll target. Small, shifty RB who maybe won't ever be a 3-down back, but can be a string threat in the passing game. This could also be the player type where we target someone to help in the return game.

David Palmer? Or just call it the McKinnon replacement. 

I believe the only RBs they’ve had in for the top 30 were Jaylen Samuels (RB/TE hybrid) and Nyheim Hines (Samuels’ teammate, fastest RB at the combine, track star who’s also played WR). Both likely go around the 3rd-4th rounds. 

For a late round RB who can do everything, I really like Ito Smith. 

He’s often ranked as a 7th/FA, but Trapasso has him in the top 100: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/the-elite-traits-of-southern-miss-rb-ito-smith-could-make-him-steal-of-2018-nfl-draft/

Vikings might be able to get him in the 6th round.

Yes, David Palmer, getting my D Palmer athletes mixed up. Dean Palmer was a 3B for the Texas Rangers and possibly a couple of other teams.  Probably don't need a 3B on the Vikings. But yeah, and McKinnon/Palmer sort of player, though, I think that Palmer was more limited than McKinnon in terms of RB ability.

27 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yes, David Palmer, getting my D Palmer athletes mixed up. Dean Palmer was a 3B for the Texas Rangers and possibly a couple of other teams.  Probably don't need a 3B on the Vikings. But yeah, and McKinnon/Palmer sort of player, though, I think that Palmer was more limited than McKinnon in terms of RB ability.

And let's make it even clearer, that's not President David Palmer.  :D

Archived