First Ever Mock Offseason

JaredB7

This is my first time doing this. I used FanSpeak to do a simulated offseason. Happened to be pretty fun. I took a different approach to rebuilding this team. I declined to go after Cousins and drafted a QB, but I surrounded our rookie QB with premier talent at the WR position to ease his transition. Spent on a lot of premium, young talent in FA and was still left with a lot of cap space. If this is the way this offseason went for the Jets, I would be ecstatic. Let me know your thoughts - would love to hear the feedback from everyone. 

Cuts:

Rashard Robinson - Complete waste of a traded draft pick. The guy barely played any defensive snaps because he stinks. Easy cut.

Jeremy Kerley - See ya.

Mo Wilkerson - Don't let the door hit you on the way out big fella. 

Ben Ijalana - Nice player, too expensive to sit on the bench. 

Matt Forte - Nice career, time to go. 

Devin Smith - What's the point in keeping him around?

Lorenzo Mauldin - Serious disappointment. 

Bryce Petty - He honestly just isn't very good, which is a shame because I REALLY loved him coming out of school.

Jalin Marshall - This guy just flat out stinks.

Jermaine Kearse - Just time to go in a different direction.

Re-Signings:

Josh McCown

Demario Davis

Mo Claiborne

Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Mike Pennel

Dakota Dozier

Xavier Cooper

Chandler Cantazaro

Rontez Miles

Jonnathon Harrison

Quincy Enunwa

Restructures:

James Carpenter - I think his poor season was more of a product of basically having a turnstile next to him at center all year.

Buster Skrine - Had a good season, but way too expensive. Restructured his salary so we could keep him around a bit longer.

Brian Winters - Nice player when healthy, but he hasn't played a full season in two straight years. 

Free Agency:

WR Allen Robinson - Finally a true #1 WR. He's a big, reliable, young target for our new rookie QB.

WR Jarvis Landry - Arguably the best, most reliable slot WR in the game. All this guy does is catch the football. Perfect slot WR for our new rookie QB. Plus, I imagine Big Play Bob is going to get a nice sized suspension.

C Ryan Jensen - Best C on the market. And he's actually good, not something you could say for Wes Johnson. He's good play will elevate the play of his fellow OL.

CB Trumaine Johnson - Best CB on the market. He's still young, a great playmaker and obviously a stud. No brainer. Pair him with Mo Claiborne and all of a sudden we've got a pretty scary secondary.

EDGE Ezekiel Ansah - Lawrence resigns with Dallas in this scenario and we pounce on Ansah. Stud edge rusher. We haven't had a guy like him since we traded John Abraham. 

DL Star Lotulelei - Good signing to help round out our DL with Mo and Sheldon no longer around. Back to having a scary DL. 

After all these signings, re-signings and restructurings we're left with $35 million or so in cap space. So not only are we set for the future, we also are not cap strapped. 

Draft:

TRADE: Jets trade up with the Giants to #2 and give up their 1st, 2nd (Seattle's pick from the Sheldon trade) and a 1st next year (checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap).

R1, P2 - Josh Rosen QB UCLA - Say what you want about this kid's "attitude problems" but I think he's a goddamn boss. Best pure QB in this class and most NFL ready passer of them all. Our QB of the future. 

TRADE: In order to get some picks back, we trade back with the Bengals. They give us their 2nd round pick (#14) and 3rd round pick (#13) for our 2nd round pick (also checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap).

R2, P14 - Jaire Alexander CB Louisville - This guy has what Bowles loves - good physicality and great in press man coverage. Not the tallest guy at 5'11 but he's a playmaker. He'll be the replacement for Claiborne when he's inevitably cut in a few years because he just can't seem to stay healthy. 

TRADE: Last trade, I promise. We trade our 3rd round pick to the Cardinals. They trade us their two 3rd round picks (#15 and #33). Also checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap too. 

R3, P13 - Will Clapp C/OG LSU - This guy is just a good football player and can play either center or guard. We choose to have him play guard. He's going to replace Carpenter when his time is up in a year or two. 

R3, P15 - Mike Gesicki TE Penn State - Honestly, the value on this pick was way too good to pass up. He was valued as the 51st best player on the big board and was sitting there at 79. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for one of the better TEs in this draft at that value. 

R3, P33 - Nick Chubb RB Georgia - Say what you will about Sony Michel, but Nick Chubb is a monster. Before he tore his ACL the dude was one of the best RBs in the country. I still think he's a stud and can, and will, be our feature back of the future. We get him in the 3rd round too which means he comes cheap. 

R4, P7 - B.J. Hill DL NC State - Just a high quality DL to give us another good football player on a great DL. He's powerful and quick, a rare combo for a big fella. He's been compared to Linval Joseph; I'll take that in round 4.

R5, P20 (Originally from Dallas) - Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin - He's just a high quality guy and a high quality football player. injuries have taken a toll on him, which is why we are able to pick him here. Could be a fantastic backup MIKE linebacker if we can develop him right and get him healthy. 

R6, P5 - Brandon Parker OT North Carolina A&T - Best available OT left. Could be a solid developmental guy/backup caliber lineman. 

R7, P17 - Van Smith S Clemson - Could be a good backup S if Brooks/Middleton/Miles get cut in training camp for lack of production. Could also be a good special teams guy. God knows we need all the help we can get on those units. 

Depth Chart:

QB: Rosen, McCown, Hackenberg

RB: Chubb, Powell, McGuire

FB: Lawrence Thomas

WR1: Robinson, Anderson, Enunwa

WR2: Anderson, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart

SLOT WR: Landry, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart

TE: ASJ, Tomlinson, Leggitt, Gesicki

LT: Beachum

LG: Carpenter, Clapp, Dozier

C: Jensen, Harrison

RG: Winters, Clapp, Dozier

RT: Shell, Qvale, Parker

DE: Williams, Cooper

NT: McLendon, Simon

DT: Lotulelei, Pennel, Hill

SAM: Jenkins, Martin

MIKE: Davis, Cichy

WILL: Lee, Cichy

RUSH: Ansah, Donahue 

CB: Johnson, Claiborne, Skrine, Burris, Roberts, Jones, Clark

FS: Maye, Smith

SS: Adams, Miles

P: Edwards

K: Cantazaro

RS: Landry

Spent way too much money on WR's and don't think Ansah fits in our defense. Overall don't think Free Agency is too realistic and why would the Giants trade out of 2? They're most likely going to stand pat and take either Rosen/Darnold or Barkley.

this is a draft made by someone tired of losing.  i dont hate what youve done... but its quick and dirty. its not basketball, you cant buy your starting lineup and draft 1 player and expect to have lasting success.

cutting Maulin and Marshil is premature IMO. Id prefer a less aggressive approach myself. more of a slow and steady build than a 1 yr rise to fame. But that's really just my take. i think the work you put in here is great. 

i hope you make more of these.

4 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

this is a draft made by someone tired of losing.  i dont hate what youve done... but its quick and dirty. its not basketball, you cant buy your starting lineup and draft 1 player and expect to have lasting success.

cutting Maulin and Marshil is premature IMO. Id prefer a less aggressive approach myself. more of a slow and steady build than a 1 yr rise to fame. But that's really just my take. i think the work you put in here is great. 

i hope you make more of these.

Appreciate the kind words. 

All the guys I signed are 25-26 years old. That's what makes this great; much more than just a 1 year rise to fame. Cap space remains and lasting power because they're so young. 

I just find it hilarious that when you typed out cuts, Rashard Robinson was the first guy you thought of lol. 

I like Allen Robinson more than Landry though both are nice, but neither will be signing here if we have to draft a QB, and Josh McCown isnt going to help. McCown should be an absolute last resort yet everyone keeps bringing him up first lol. He was ok, he wasnt terrible last year, got hurt AGAIN and will be 39. Idc if he wants to come back, he needs to be a coach at this point. Would rather see another relatively young FA brought in who can really push the rookie. 

I like your trades very much but a fair trade between the giants and jets will never take place if it means the jets get their guy. no shot. other trades however were great, unfortunately Macs idea of trading down was a complete disgrace. tweet him a copy of that draft chart to use as a reference because he got his t!ts lit in every single trade down last year.

Love my dude Nick Chubb. Think he is under-rated. Could see him taken in the 3rd, I think Michel definitely goes first. 

Hey it would be a heck of an offseason, just dont think we should get our hopes up lol.  

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, JaredB7 said:

This is my first time doing this. I used FanSpeak to do a simulated offseason. Happened to be pretty fun. I took a different approach to rebuilding this team. I declined to go after Cousins and drafted a QB, but I surrounded our rookie QB with premier talent at the WR position to ease his transition. Spent on a lot of premium, young talent in FA and was still left with a lot of cap space. If this is the way this offseason went for the Jets, I would be ecstatic. Let me know your thoughts - would love to hear the feedback from everyone. 

Cuts:

Rashard Robinson - Complete waste of a traded draft pick. The guy barely played any defensive snaps because he stinks. Easy cut.

Jeremy Kerley - See ya.

Mo Wilkerson - Don't let the door hit you on the way out big fella. 

Ben Ijalana - Nice player, too expensive to sit on the bench. 

Matt Forte - Nice career, time to go. 

Devin Smith - What's the point in keeping him around?

Lorenzo Mauldin - Serious disappointment. 

Bryce Petty - He honestly just isn't very good, which is a shame because I REALLY loved him coming out of school.

Jalin Marshall - This guy just flat out stinks.

Jermaine Kearse - Just time to go in a different direction.

Re-Signings:

Josh McCown

Demario Davis

Mo Claiborne

Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Mike Pennel

Dakota Dozier

Xavier Cooper

Chandler Cantazaro

Rontez Miles

Jonnathon Harrison

Quincy Enunwa

Restructures:

James Carpenter - I think his poor season was more of a product of basically having a turnstile next to him at center all year.

Buster Skrine - Had a good season, but way too expensive. Restructured his salary so we could keep him around a bit longer.

Brian Winters - Nice player when healthy, but he hasn't played a full season in two straight years. 

Free Agency:

WR Allen Robinson - Finally a true #1 WR. He's a big, reliable, young target for our new rookie QB.

WR Jarvis Landry - Arguably the best, most reliable slot WR in the game. All this guy does is catch the football. Perfect slot WR for our new rookie QB. Plus, I imagine Big Play Bob is going to get a nice sized suspension.

C Ryan Jensen - Best C on the market. And he's actually good, not something you could say for Wes Johnson. He's good play will elevate the play of his fellow OL.

CB Trumaine Johnson - Best CB on the market. He's still young, a great playmaker and obviously a stud. No brainer. Pair him with Mo Claiborne and all of a sudden we've got a pretty scary secondary.

EDGE Ezekiel Ansah - Lawrence resigns with Dallas in this scenario and we pounce on Ansah. Stud edge rusher. We haven't had a guy like him since we traded John Abraham. 

DL Star Lotulelei - Good signing to help round out our DL with Mo and Sheldon no longer around. Back to having a scary DL. 

After all these signings, re-signings and restructurings we're left with $35 million or so in cap space. So not only are we set for the future, we also are not cap strapped. 

Draft:

TRADE: Jets trade up with the Giants to #2 and give up their 1st, 2nd (Seattle's pick from the Sheldon trade) and a 1st next year (checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap).

R1, P2 - Josh Rosen QB UCLA - Say what you want about this kid's "attitude problems" but I think he's a goddamn boss. Best pure QB in this class and most NFL ready passer of them all. Our QB of the future. 

TRADE: In order to get some picks back, we trade back with the Bengals. They give us their 2nd round pick (#14) and 3rd round pick (#13) for our 2nd round pick (also checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap).

R2, P14 - Jaire Alexander CB Louisville - This guy has what Bowles loves - good physicality and great in press man coverage. Not the tallest guy at 5'11 but he's a playmaker. He'll be the replacement for Claiborne when he's inevitably cut in a few years because he just can't seem to stay healthy. 

TRADE: Last trade, I promise. We trade our 3rd round pick to the Cardinals. They trade us their two 3rd round picks (#15 and #33). Also checked this with the 2018 draft pick value chart and it's a pretty even swap too. 

R3, P13 - Will Clapp C/OG LSU - This guy is just a good football player and can play either center or guard. We choose to have him play guard. He's going to replace Carpenter when his time is up in a year or two. 

R3, P15 - Mike Gesicki TE Penn State - Honestly, the value on this pick was way too good to pass up. He was valued as the 51st best player on the big board and was sitting there at 79. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for one of the better TEs in this draft at that value. 

R3, P33 - Nick Chubb RB Georgia - Say what you will about Sony Michel, but Nick Chubb is a monster. Before he tore his ACL the dude was one of the best RBs in the country. I still think he's a stud and can, and will, be our feature back of the future. We get him in the 3rd round too which means he comes cheap. 

R4, P7 - B.J. Hill DL NC State - Just a high quality DL to give us another good football player on a great DL. He's powerful and quick, a rare combo for a big fella. He's been compared to Linval Joseph; I'll take that in round 4.

R5, P20 (Originally from Dallas) - Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin - He's just a high quality guy and a high quality football player. injuries have taken a toll on him, which is why we are able to pick him here. Could be a fantastic backup MIKE linebacker if we can develop him right and get him healthy. 

R6, P5 - Brandon Parker OT North Carolina A&T - Best available OT left. Could be a solid developmental guy/backup caliber lineman. 

R7, P17 - Van Smith S Clemson - Could be a good backup S if Brooks/Middleton/Miles get cut in training camp for lack of production. Could also be a good special teams guy. God knows we need all the help we can get on those units. 

Depth Chart:

QB: Rosen, McCown, Hackenberg

RB: Chubb, Powell, McGuire

FB: Lawrence Thomas

WR1: Robinson, Anderson, Enunwa

WR2: Anderson, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart

SLOT WR: Landry, Enunwa, Hansen, Stewart

TE: ASJ, Tomlinson, Leggitt, Gesicki

LT: Beachum

LG: Carpenter, Clapp, Dozier

C: Jensen, Harrison

RG: Winters, Clapp, Dozier

RT: Shell, Qvale, Parker

DE: Williams, Cooper

NT: McLendon, Simon

DT: Lotulelei, Pennel, Hill

SAM: Jenkins, Martin

MIKE: Davis, Cichy

WILL: Lee, Cichy

RUSH: Ansah, Donahue 

CB: Johnson, Claiborne, Skrine, Burris, Roberts, Jones, Clark

FS: Maye, Smith

SS: Adams, Miles

P: Edwards

K: Cantazaro

RS: Landry

Not bad at all, I wish it would happen. I don't mean to be picky, but I would keep Kearse, when he played last year he was very effective. 

i hate trading up in drafts. truth is, that trade would never happen cause the giants couldnt risk Rosen being a star of us. 

beyond that, it would prob cost us at least 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders.... we need too many players to go all in on a QB when we have minimal young talent on this team. 

Mocking is fun. It's our chance to play GM. 

This mock is great. I would love for this to happen. 

Ansah is athletic enough to play the 3-4 edge. He has put on a solid 15 lbs since being drafted. Likely so that he can better play the 4-3 DE position. I wonder if he can drop that weight and transition to the 3-4 edge? He was a lot like Davenport is in this draft; a young raw edge rusher who had room on his frame to add weight. When Ansah was coming out, scouts had him as both a 3-4 edge and 4-3 edge.

I like the Jaire Alexander pick. As long as he stays healthy, I think he can turn into a shutdown corner. He's injuries haven't been the type that are lingering (i.e., leg injuries). But we drafted Milliner with the thought that his injuries were minor and his career never happened.

Archived