TCMD GM Mock Draft

ny92mike

9 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Our top priority as I'm sure you are aware should be O-line in FA. Who would you think we should target Norwell Vs. Pugh? And in Jensen Vs. Richburg? Or should we just roll with Jones? I think Jensen and Norwell would improve our blocking tremendously, and the tackle spot should be something we address in the draft, but would we be able to pry them away from their current teams? Well I think we could because both the Panthers and Ravens are more cash strapped than we are. Also with a few cuts we could have quite a bit of cap space. Enough to sign two top flight lineman, I believe so. A 4 Year, $36-38 million would be enough IMO to get one of the top 5 center in the league. Not going the fifth year gives him the opportunity to go ahead and get one more bigger deal before his prime is up. Norwell could be tricky, a 5 Year, $51-56 million deal could get it done, but the question is would you rather pay Norwell $10-11M/Year for at least 14 games of action or pay Pugh $9-10/Year for at most 13 games a year? 

I think Pugh+Richburg would cost us around 13-15M to keep on the interior. The question is paying $18M-20M (only 5m more) for higher caliber, more durable players worth it? If my answer hasnt been obvious it should be. I believe splurging on the line is the best solution for us. 

Also we should look at trading #2 if you don't feel like we need more selections than a QB? Which I'm an advocate for. 

Here are the salary caps of each team, it will likely change some but this should be pretty close.

Team Team Abbr. 2018 TOP 51
Arizona Cardinals ARI $29,926,244
Atlanta Falcons ATL $20,167,736
Baltimore Ravens BAL $25,831,416
Buffalo Bills BUF $30,913,711
Carolina Panthers CAR $52,686,977
Chicago Bears CHI $40,261,896
Cincinnati Bengals CIN $33,585,280
Cleveland Browns CLE $113,620,711
Dallas Cowboys DAL $28,146,137
Denver Broncos DEN $51,451,649
Detroit Lions DET $36,863,075
Green Bay Packers GB $29,188,581
Houston Texans HOU $61,659,378
Indianapolis Colts IND $79,261,964
Jacksonville Jaguars JAC $55,978,935
Kansas City Chiefs KC $38,124,246
Los Angeles Chargers LAC $32,193,877
Los Angeles Rams LAR $46,425,128
Miami Dolphins MIA $24,039,385
Minnesota Vikings MIN $71,293,169
New Orleans Saints NO $39,041,951
New England Patriots NE $18,565,492
New York Giants NYG $21,232,075
New York Jets NYJ $90,235,436
Oakland Raiders OAK $38,231,960
Philadelphia Eagles PHI $27,154,991
Pittsburgh Steelers PIT $16,548,390
San Francisco 49ers SF $63,733,721
Seattle Seahawks SEA $33,902,103
Tampa Bay Buccaneers TB $65,177,692
Tennessee Titans TEN $56,935,084
Washington Redskins WAS $38,612,316

In this mock teams are able to restructure and extend up to 3 players, and they do, which frees up millions.  It's why I mentioned doing the same in a previous post.

I fully expect Norvell to get tagged, but it hasn't been made official yet.  I wouldn't mind seeing Richburg back, I think he could be a solid blocker if given some talent around him.  Pugh just never really panned out imo.  

Money is tight at the moment so expecting to fix our oline in the free agency is going to be a struggle, we'll need to find talent that most aren't looking at in the first couple rounds of the fa.

The trade down from pick 2 will help with drafting for the o line, as we now have two early 2nd round picks.

10 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

My thoughts on the center positiin are above, but I do think Jones is valuable. Could be the back up interior lineman with versatility to okay multiple positions. 

I'm tender the two I mentioned as I think Jones could be a solid backup.

35 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Pugh has been good for us. How has he not panned out? 

I didn't like him at RG or at RT.  

With the LT spot so crappy hard to say how good he's been at LG.

Sorry man, not a fan.  Thought he was going to be better than he has been.

1 hour ago, ny92jefferis said:

Do we have any interest in the following waiver wire players?

1720 - Trevor Siemian - QB
1726 - Trey Williams - RB
0225 - Brian Brown - WR
0634 - Duke Thomas - CB
1289 - Matt Wile - P
1570 - Seth Roberts - WR

I would think about Siemian, but not at his current cap hit of $1.9M

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

Pugh has been good for us. How has he not panned out? 

He's a pretty good left guard, and a versatile player able to play multiple spots, but he missed 5 games in 2016, and then 8 games this past season; not sure if I would sign him to a large new contract.

39 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Pugh is a good player, but I understand your concerns. There isn't a lot of other options out there and you are going to get into a bidding war for Norwell.

I basically agree with you, @Acgott- and, frankly, you know a lot more about this stuff than I do- I just figure that they won't pay two free-agent contracts on the O-line. Thus, if they sign Norwell- as we all hope- they've got to look for budget-friendly options for the rest of the line- Fluker, Brett Jones, Halapio, Chad Wheeler- and of course a couple of rookies on their first contracts. Wish they could have both Norwell and Pugh- heck, I would like Richburg back at a reasonable price. But I think that Norwell contract is going to take up a lot of the cap space they want to spend on the O-line.

4 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I've just been playing with manage the cap, and have fit both the Jensen, and Norwell contracts in our cap room (Along with Tre Boston, and Ra'Shede Hageman, and a few others). If we structure everything right, there is a way. 

What are you proposing we do with our current team salaries? We have $25M in cap space, there isn't a lot of maneuvering. Norwell takes $12-15 mill/year. Jensen $8-10 mill. That's already $20M best case scenario.

Only solution is restructuring which I am strongly against.

16 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What are you proposing we do with our current team salaries? We have $25M in cap space, there isn't a lot of maneuvering. Norwell takes $12-15 mill/year. Jensen $8-10 mill. That's already $20M best case scenario.

Only solution is restructuring which I am strongly against.

Norwell doesn't touch 15m, even elite guards have trouble reaching 12m (annual average). Unless I misread somewhere in the rules, but annual average value is typically different than that years Cap Hit. After handing him a 5 year $57M (and some change) it equalled more than 11M/Year with a 2018 Cap Hit of just under $6.5M. Jensens 2018 Cap Hit was just under $5.4M. Do we not get to structure deals to help us build? Or are we strictly going on AAVnumbers?

1 minute ago, YogiBiz said:

Norwell doesn't touch 15m, even elite guards have trouble reaching 12m (annual average). Unless I misread somewhere in the rules, but annual average value is typically different than that years Cap Hit. After handing him a 5 year $57M (and some change) it equalled more than 11M/Year with a 2018 Cap Hit of just under $6.5M. Jensens 2018 Cap Hit was just under $5.4M. Do we not get to structure deals to help us build? Or are we strictly going on AAVnumbers?

I'm not going into the details of the mock, just going off my knowledge.

Norwell is by far the best OG available where there a very few. Last year Zeilter and Osemele got contracts about 5 years for $12M. Adding in a little inflation and how these types of mock have outrageous contracts, I don't find $15M to be that unreasonable. Zeilter and Osemele had cap hit of 8.4M and 13.2M. 

Jensen, truthfully I have no idea who he is. This is the first year he has been a starter and he has a injury history so I am high on that. We could probably get him for 6M/year.

Archived