Acquired Trevor Siemian - QB via waiver wire

Restructured 0844 - Janoris Jenkins - CB 

Extended 1394 - Odell Beckham, Jr. - WR

June 1st Cut  0637 - Dwayne Harris - WR

Released

1258 - Marshall Koehn - K
0135 - Austin Rehkow - P
0201 - Brandon Marshall - WR

We currently have $36,715,411 in available cap.

Must have our first round bidding for free agents submitted by the 19th

Any targets?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/193KPNZyiCYMmQKqB3lTU6Xlpm-3ONrghfhkpKzGVqDI/edit?usp=sharing

Current Waiver Wire

1433 - Prince Charles Iworah - CB
1203 - Makinton Dorleant - CB
1751 - Tyrone Holmes - 43DE
1253 - Marquez Williams - FB
1013 - Josh Rounds - RB
1089 - Kelvin Taylor - RB
1283 - Matt Lengel - TE
0256 - Bug Howard - WR
0262 - C.J. Board - WR
0135 - Austin Rehkow - P

30 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I don’t like this move. He already has a cap hit over $13M for 2019 and 2020. For a player turning 30 this year, I think it’s unwise to invest more. Did you have a deadline for restructures and just wanted more money to play with?

i can’t help with FA, I don’t follow the other teams closely and I’m not going through the workbook.

Just now, Acgott said:

I don’t like this move. He already has a cap hit over $13M for 2019 and 2020. For a player turning 30 this year, I think it’s unwise to invest more. Did you have a deadline for restructures and just wanted more money to play with?

i can’t help with FA, I don’t follow the other teams closely and I’m not going through the workbook.

I know man.  Had too, just can't compete if you don't in these mocks.  Teams with negative cap have more than we had.  Gotta attempt to fix this Oline and linebacker situation and the only way to do it is to have some cap heading into free agency.

Just one of those things you'll have to overlook.

I've put a few bids on some players but don't want to say who in public being that we've still got a couple days before its announced.

Putting reserve offers in on some of our own players to see if we can retain them.

I'll keep you posted.

It'll be kinda quite over the next couple days, things are slowing down, but if you think of a player you'd like to target let me know.

Also, any giants fans interested in draft scouting I could use the input.

14 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I understand, people don’t care about the future in these things.

I agree.

I'm running the cap for both the current and the 2019 season but teams have fewer players to worry about in 2019, they are still provided with millions without fear of overspending in 2019.  Each year I keep trying to refine it, but each year it fails to accomplish the desired effect.

1 hour ago, ny92jefferis said:

Latest transactions

Acquired Kevin Dodd via trade

Acquired Trevor Siemian - QB via waiver wire

Extended 1394 - Odell Beckham, Jr. - WR

June 1st Cut  0637 - Dwayne Harris - WR

Released

0135 - Austin Rehkow - P
0201 - Brandon Marshall - WR

We currently have $36,715,411 in available cap.

Must have our first round bidding for free agents submitted by the 19th

Any targets?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/193KPNZyiCYMmQKqB3lTU6Xlpm-3ONrghfhkpKzGVqDI/edit?usp=sharing

Current Waiver Wire

1433 - Prince Charles Iworah - CB
1203 - Makinton Dorleant - CB
1751 - Tyrone Holmes - 43DE
1253 - Marquez Williams - FB
1013 - Josh Rounds - RB
1089 - Kelvin Taylor - RB
1283 - Matt Lengel - TE
0256 - Bug Howard - WR
0262 - C.J. Board - WR
0135 - Austin Rehkow - P

Given the way Janoris gave up last year, I don't think he'll restructure his contract here until things get better.   We shouldn't release Brandon Marshall either.He has a proven record of improving QB's performance.  If we release him, we're basically ensuring that Beckham's effectiveness is curtailed. Also don't care for Trevor Siemian. He doesn't have much potential and we're not challenging for a SB as things stand.

1 minute ago, celestial said:

Given the way Janoris gave up last year, I don't think he'll restructure his contract here until things get better.   We shouldn't release Brandon Marshall either.He has a proven record of improving QB's performance.  If we release him, we're basically ensuring that Beckham's effectiveness is curtailed. 

There was much more to just Janoris giving up.  Something bad was going on in that locker room.  The previous year he was lights out in the secondary.  But as I said, this mock we've got to find ways to free up cap for free agency.

When he signed with the team I was stocked but it was difficult to really say what they would of done.  Not sure if another team will pick him up but I'll consider bringing him back on a cheaper deal.

I think the rookie TE could play the same role that Marshall did and faster, but I'm still looking to talent to better this roster in fa and the draft.

25 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

There was much more to just Janoris giving up.  Something bad was going on in that locker room.  The previous year he was lights out in the secondary.  But as I said, this mock we've got to find ways to free up cap for free agency.

When he signed with the team I was stocked but it was difficult to really say what they would of done.  Not sure if another team will pick him up but I'll consider bringing him back on a cheaper deal.

I think the rookie TE could play the same role that Marshall did and faster, but I'm still looking to talent to better this roster in fa and the draft.

The most probable thing that happened in the locker room was loss of team morale after losing. Our offense was among the lowest scoring and fans kept blaming the defense for not winning games when truthfully the offense should have been blamed for losing them.

Janoris restructuring is unrealistic after last year imo. Players generally restructure when their teams are playoff contenders. We only won 3 games.

Also, virtually no rookie TEs can replace Marshall and run with corners like he can. Rookie TEs usually play worse than Will Tye. Marshall, on the other hand, is a borderline HOF receiver that played at a high level as recently as 2016. Expecting a rookie TE to replace Marshall is not pragmatic imho. If we cut Marshall we have to replace him with a more expensive receiver or a rookie receiver, who like tight ends tend to underwhelm in the beginning. I can see the FO doing it though so maybe you're onto something

All that aside, I wonder why people keep slating Marshall. Eli didn't throw to Marshall because Eli was afraid of throwing INTs. The tape shows Eli missed Marshall open repeatedly over the season. Let's not even get into the INT Eli threw against Philly by under-throwing an open Marshall. Marshall is not the problem. He was open on tape and so he did his job.

10 minutes ago, celestial said:

The most probable thing that happened in the locker room was loss of team morale after losing. Our offense was among the lowest scoring and fans kept blaming the defense for not winning games when truthfully the offense should have been blamed for losing them.

I think it was more than morale, when you've got Landon Collins calling out Eli Apple in public, corners being suspended.  Nonetheless, I don't blame the defense for the failures, I agree it was the lack of offense, which is why I didn't have a real hard time restructuring Jenkins contract.

Janoris restructuring is unrealistic after last year imo. Players generally restructure when their teams are playoff contenders. We only won 3 games.

2018 Cap is $24,535,434

2019 Cap is $68,105,819 

Adding roughly 3.3 million in 2019 & 2020 to save 6.7 million is huge when you look at what we've got to get to fix the offensive line issues.  I don't see us releasing him prior to the end of his contract.

But I understand what you're saying, Giants isn't a team that does a lot of restructures, but in this mock draft, as I was telling Acgott if you don't free up the cap then you aren't going to get anything in free agency, because all the teams in this mock are freeing up millions.

Typically teams that win 3 games have millions in cap space, we just don't have that luxury.

Also, virtually no rookie TEs can replace Marshall and run with corners like he can. Rookie TEs usually play worse than Will Tye. So expecting a rookie TE to replace Marshall is not pragmatic imho. If we cut Marshall we have to replace him with a more expensive receiver or a rookie receiver, who again generally tend to underwhelm in their first year. I can see the FO doing it though so maybe you're onto something

I'm not saying that a rookie is going to replace Marshall, but seriously what did he do last year for us?  Like I said I was really excited to see him opposite Odell but can you really rely on the idea he'll be healthy this season, and for how long?  Not for 5 million a year I can't....I figure he'll take a pay cut irl. 

He's already been paid 5.5 million for a limited season, this year he's scheduled to get paid another 5.5 million with another million on the books for the signing bonus.  Cut that amount in half and I'd keep him.

Rhett Ellison could be the starting TE and with Engrams ht wt speed could be a similar receiver to Marshall, I'm not saying he's going to be better but can provide the metrics to be a solid compliment to Odell, should we not find a replacement.  Honestly, I figured thats what they planned out when they drafted him.  He doesn't strike me as the giants typical TE prototype.

Not sure if you're interested or not but I could use some help with the free agency.  It would require us to discuss things via messenger though.  Not worries if you're not but know that I want be discussing potential targets in this thread.

42 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I think it was more than morale, when you've got Landon Collins calling out Eli Apple in public, corners being suspended.  Nonetheless, I don't blame the defense for the failures, I agree it was the lack of offense, which is why I didn't have a real hard time restructuring Jenkins contract.

Collins called out Eli Apple because the latter was demoralized and calling out other players. When we were winning, Eli Apple was a model citizen. Then we start losing and the CB walks out a game. 

2018 Cap is $24,535,434

2019 Cap is $68,105,819 

Adding roughly 3.3 million in 2019 & 2020 to save 6.7 million is huge when you look at what we've got to get to fix the offensive line issues.  I don't see us releasing him prior to the end of his contract.

But I understand what you're saying, Giants isn't a team that does a lot of restructures, but in this mock draft, as I was telling Acgott if you don't free up the cap then you aren't going to get anything in free agency, because all the teams in this mock are freeing up millions.

Typically teams that win 3 games have millions in cap space, we just don't have that luxury.

I forgot that restructuring means Janoris gets his money right away and we free up cap space. He'll agree to that. good move, my bad

I'm not saying that a rookie is going to replace Marshall, but seriously what did he do last year for us?  Like I said I was really excited to see him opposite Odell but can you really rely on the idea he'll be healthy this season, and for how long?  Not for 5 million a year I can't....I figure he'll take a pay cut irl. 

He's already been paid 5.5 million for a limited season, this year he's scheduled to get paid another 5.5 million with another million on the books for the signing bonus.  Cut that amount in half and I'd keep him.

Rhett Ellison could be the starting TE and with Engrams ht wt speed could be a similar receiver to Marshall, I'm not saying he's going to be better but can provide the metrics to be a solid compliment to Odell, should we not find a replacement.  Honestly, I figured thats what they planned out when they drafted him.  He doesn't strike me as the giants typical TE prototype.

Not sure if you're interested or not but I could use some help with the free agency.  It would require us to discuss things via messenger though.  Not worries if you're not but know that I want be discussing potential targets in this thread.

Marshall was open against good corners. He didn't do anything because Eli missed reads or was inaccurate. That said, neither Elison nor Engram can play WR. Elison simply isn't fast enough to beat corners. He has never lined up against corners anywhere but the red zone. Engram meanwhile only run simple routes like comebacks against corners. He can't run 9 routes, outs, etc like Marshall can against good corners. We saw Engram split out wide against corners and he was successful running only simple routes.  Put it this way: if teams put their #2 CB on Engram, he'll be shut down. NFL level CBs are around 6'0 , too quick and too fast for Engram or TEs in general.We can't go into the season with Engram, Odell and Elison as primary receiving targets. We won't win games. 

I'll get back to you on free agency. I'm doing exams rn

25 minutes ago, celestial said:

Marshall was open against good corners. He didn't do anything because Eli missed reads or was inaccurate. That said, neither Elison nor Engram can play WR. Elison simply isn't fast enough to beat corners. He has never lined up against corners anywhere but the red zone. Engram meanwhile only run simple routes like comebacks against corners. He can't run 9 routes, outs, etc like Marshall can against good corners. We saw Engram split out wide against corners and he was successful running only simple routes.  Put it this way: if teams put their #2 CB on Engram, he'll be shut down. NFL level CBs are around 6'0 , too quick and too fast for Engram or TEs in general.We can't go into the season with Engram, Odell and Elison as primary receiving targets. We won't win games. 

I'll get back to you on free agency. I'm doing exams rn

Never said Rhett could play WR, I said TE.  

Evan Engram ran a 4.42 at the combine, he's fast enough to play the position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/simulcam/0ap3000000790107/Simulcam-Engram-vs-Hopkins-vs-Green

either way, Brandon Marshall has been released.  I'll look for talent to replace him or look to bring him back at a cheaper price point.

17 hours ago, celestial said:

Collins called out Eli Apple because the latter was demoralized and calling out other players. When we were winning, Eli Apple was a model citizen. Then we start losing and the CB walks out a game. 

Apple’s issues are off the field with his home life falling apart. He needs to fix that thing regain himself.

Found some options in fa for a receiver opposite Odell, but the price is currently too high, will attempt to pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round of bidding.

In this first round, I plan to target offensive line, linebacker and cornerback.

18 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

Never said Rhett could play WR, I said TE.  

Evan Engram ran a 4.42 at the combine, he's fast enough to play the position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/simulcam/0ap3000000790107/Simulcam-Engram-vs-Hopkins-vs-Green

either way, Brandon Marshall has been released.  I'll look for talent to replace him or look to bring him back at a cheaper price point.

Engram running fast in shorts doesn't mean he has the playing speed or quickness to beat starting NFL corners. We saw Engram line up against corners on the outside last year and he ran comebacks. His best play came in line and in the slot. I don't remember Engram once beating an outside corner over the top. However Marshall did it a couple of times. I don't see why we have to release our 2nd best WR  but it's your mock so it is what it is.

Archived