Early look at Possible Regression

ragevsuall17

8 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Looking at his college tape you'll see plenty of tape of the hole not being where he expected it and he makes one cut and hits the actual hole. I really don't think his vision is bad at all. What I disliked about him was that when the hole wasn't there he bounced it out looking for a hole instead of just lowering the boom on someone and using those 247 lbs. I think that could actually transition well into a zone blocking scheme.

Alabama did sprinkle in a few zone runs. When it's just an inside or outside zone play it can be hard to tell the difference on tape without knowing the assignment before the snap. If its not a trap, power, counter, etc where the guards tell you it's a man scheme, it's not going to jump out to you on the tape. (I actually like this because when I played LB I was taught to read the guards and they actually gave a great deal of information away about the play the second it was snapped.)

When they run zone stretch plays and the linemen actually run parallel with the LOS is when it is very obvious that it's zone.

If Alfred Morris can average 4.7 YPC in this scheme, I'm not really worried about Henry failing. I think we need to pair him with someone to take about a quarter of the carries and provide some 3rd down ability and we'll be in a really good position.

Yeah, I think there's a chance he can do it... The frustration was him hitting it outside when the hole was there for him to take... Or him running into the olines backs when the hole was there a gap or 2 over. Maybe it was the coaching or design, but it seemed he missed quite a few holes last year. If he hits those, imagine what kinda stats he would a ended up with though. 

Lewis, Hyde, even Guice are rbs  looking at to replace Murray and fill that role essentially... The #1 spot if you will. But if the staff is confident its just some minor tweaks needed by Henry, then I'm OK with a more secondary guy being brought in... A guy like McKinnon, Burkhead, or Wadley/Carter in the draft.

14 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Looking at his college tape you'll see plenty of tape of the hole not being where he expected it and he makes one cut and hits the actual hole. I really don't think his vision is bad at all. What I disliked about him was that when the hole wasn't there he bounced it out looking for a hole instead of just lowering the boom on someone and using those 247 lbs. I think that could actually transition well into a zone blocking scheme.

Alabama did sprinkle in a few zone runs. When it's just an inside or outside zone play it can be hard to tell the difference on tape without knowing the assignment before the snap. If its not a trap, power, counter, etc where the guards tell you it's a man scheme, it's not going to jump out to you on the tape. (I actually like this because when I played LB I was taught to read the guards and they actually gave a great deal of information away about the play the second it was snapped.)

When they run zone stretch plays and the linemen actually run parallel with the LOS is when it is very obvious that it's zone.

If Alfred Morris can average 4.7 YPC in this scheme, I'm not really worried about Henry failing. I think we need to pair him with someone to take about a quarter of the carries and provide some 3rd down ability and we'll be in a really good position.

Right there with you. Was always thought to read the OGs.
They double down on the nose, you fill the hole. They pull, you pull.  They stay in, you drop back. 

I think with the zone, it will give the same read whether it's a pass or a run. I think?  lol It's been a while. It could work to our favor when trying to hold and keep the Linebackers from those underneath routes.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Right there with you. Was always thought to read the OGs.
They double down on the nose, you fill the hole. They pull, you pull.  They stay in, you drop back. 

I think with the zone, it will give the same read whether it's a pass or a run. I think?  lol It's been a while. It could work to our favor when trying to hold and keep the Linebackers from those underneath routes.

Linemen can't go further than 2 yards downfield, so during play-action in a man scheme, where linemen try to quickly get to their second level man, that could be a read that it's a pass and not a run. 

In a zone scheme, particularly on the zone stretch plays that we will likely bootleg off of, the linemen can just block it very similar to how they would for a run because they wouldn't be getting 2 yards downfield anyway.

It won't any different be in standard dropbacks, obviously. I think it it well help us a little bit. I don't think Henry will struggle too much, but if he does, RB is never a super important position when you have a very talented QB. 

I keep wanting to say I could see Henry not being the right fit for this offense, and then I watch clips of him from last year or in college and see him doing exactly what I have stereotyped him into not being able to do because of his size. His agility and burst are really impressive for 247 lbs.

Archived