Al's 2018 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Please Leave Comments for Your Team)

AlNFL19

This is my first attempt at a mock draft this year. Please leave comments on your team, as there are quite a few I'm unfamiliar with and that might be reflected here.

Notable Free Agents / Pre-Draft Trades (Using FanSpeak's ManageTheCap tool)

Trade 1: New England Patriots Trade 3.95 to Los Angeles Chargers for ILB Jatavis Brown

Trade 2: Arizona Cardinals Trade 2.47 to Philadelphia Eagles for QB Nick Foles

Trade 3: Jacksonville Jaguars Trade 4.XX to Buffalo Bills for QB Tyrod Taylor

Top Notable Signings

1. New York Jets sign QB Kirk Cousins.

2. New York Jets sign RB Le'Veon Bell.

3. New York Giants sign QB Teddy Bridgewater.

4. Cleveland Browns sign WR Jarvis Landry.

5. Indianapolis Colts sign DE Sheldon Richardson.

6. New Orleans Saints sign CB Malcolm Butler.

7. San Francisco 49ers sign TE Jimmy Graham.

8. New York Jets sign WR Terrell Pryor Sr.

9. New England Patriots sign DB Lamarcus Joyner.

Round One

1. Cleveland Browns: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State - Barkley is an elite talent who is too good to pass up here.

2. Buffalo Bills (Projected Trade: BUF Trades 1.21, 1.22, 2.53, 5.XX, and 2019 2.XX to NYG for 1.2): Sam Darnold, QB, USC - It's clear the Bills need a new franchise QB and Darnold is the top the class has to offer.

3. Denver Broncos (Projected Trade: DEN Trades 1.5, 3.71, 7.XX to IND for 1.3) - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA - Denver jumps Cleveland to land a top quarterback prospect who won't need much development.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Projected Trade: TB Trades 1.7, 2.38 to CLE for 1.4, 5.XX) - Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State - Without a top-two quarterback, Cleveland trades back. Tampa has a huge problem with edge rushers and Chubb is an elite talent.

5. Indianapolis Colts (Via Denver - See No. 3) - Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame - Nelson is a potential All-Pro guard who could help keep Andrew Luck alive.

6. New York Jets - Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA - After signing Kirk Cousins, the Jets go with a player with great potential and athletic tools to replace Sheldon Richardson.

7. Cleveland Browns (Via Tampa Bay - See No. 4) - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming - Browns fans - Allen or Mayfield here, or go another direction?

8. Chicago Bears - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama - Absolute steal for a team that needs a true playmaker in the secondary. Ridley is an option but Fitzpatrick is far better IMO.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech - This seems to be a popular pick, and the 49ers could use an athletic linebacker. Edmunds can rush and can cover.

10. Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia - Smith is very rangy and is one of my favorite prospects in the class. He could instantly replace NaVorro Bowman.

11. Miami Dolphins - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma - Tannehill has just been frustrating and unreliable, and who knows what he'll be after the ACL tear.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma - Cincy grabs a huge left tackle to replace Whitworth (what a mistake letting that guy go was).

13. Washington - Vita Vea, DT, Washington - Not sure how well this guy fits but he's a huge and effective DT.

14. Green Bay Packers - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State - Another steal. The Packers need a better CB, and Ward is one of the best in the class (depending on what you call Fitzpatrick).

15. Arizona Cardinals - Connor Williams, OT, Texas - With Foles in place, it makes little sense to go QB in R1. Williams can keep him upright.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama - The Ravens need a good target for Flacco, and Ridley is adept at creating separation.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Derwin James, FS, Florida State - Again, doesn't really fit much of a need, but James is a great player who might be able to do what Weddle did a few years back.

18. Seattle Seahawks - Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa - The Seahawks' CB situation is a little murky right now and Jackson is one of the best available players here.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan - Probably the most popular team-prospect pairing outside the top 10. Hurst can be something the Cowboys haven't had in a long time.

20. Detroit Lions - Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State - Probably a reach, but Price fills a need and is polished. What do you think Lions fans?

21. New York Giants (Via Buffalo - See No. 2) - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame - Finally a guy to replace Ereck Flowers. He isn't perfect but he should be a better pro than Flowers.

22. New York Giants (Via Buffalo via Kansas City - See No. 2) - Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama - Probably another reach, but the Giants need a rangy linebacker. Any suggestions?

23. Los Angeles Rams - Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia - Kind of a darkhorse pick, but Wynn might be a good fit.

24. Carolina Panthers - Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP - Hernandez is another talented guard who would help give Newton time to do something with the ball.

25. Tennessee Titans - Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College - Another popular pick. Landry is a productive rusher who would be a big-time boost for the Titans.

26. Atlanta Falcons - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama - The Falcons need a defensive tackle to replace the likely-gone Dontari Poe, and Payne is a good choice.

27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State - As I'm not a Saints fan, I'd be scared of this a little bit.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama - Harrison is a hard-hitter who plays like a Steeler.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh - A bit of a reach, but the Jaguars need some line help.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State - Hubbard would elevate this already-great Vikings front seven, though he's questionable fitting a need.

31. New England Patriots - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma - The Patriots are in desperate need of EDGE help, and Okoronkwo could do that. Plus, Bill Belichick almost always uses the R1 pick on a linebacker or defensive lineman (if he doesn't trade it).

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Hughes, CB, UCF - Hughes is one of the best corners in this class and the Eagles need a bit more help on their very complete roster.

Round Two

33. Cleveland Browns - Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado - The Browns need to add DB help, and Oliver is a good prospect.

34. New York Giants - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU - The Giants have nothing right now at running back, and even Darkwa is a free agent.

35. Cleveland Browns (via Houston) - Arden Key, OLB, LSU - The Browns could have a really good front seven if Key develops.

36. Indianapolis Colts - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville - The Colts have a need after Vontae Davis left, and Alexander is a fitting player.

37. New York Jets - Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi - The Jets in this scenario get their franchise QB. Now they need to keep him upright.

38. Cleveland Browns (via Tampa Bay; See No. 4) - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M - The image of Corey Coleman's drop that threw the Browns to 0-16 isn't going anywhere. They have had hugely underproductive receivers.

39. Chicago Bears - Deion Cain, WR, Clemson - Sutton and Washington are still on the board, but I think Cain is a better fit. He's a good short receiver who could be the no. 1 for Mitchell Trubisky. Let's be honest: Trubisky isn't going to be great yet at throwing jump-balls to a guy like Sutton or bombing the ball to a guy like Washington.

40. Denver Broncos - James Daniels, OG, Iowa - After acquiring Rosen, the Broncos need some improved interior play and Daniels could end up a fringe-Day 1 prospect.

41. Oakland Raiders - Donte Jackson, CB, LSU - The Raiders need a CB1 and Jackson has the tools and some serious speed.

42. Miami Dolphins - Ronald Jones II, RB, USC - Jones is an explosive runner with receiving ability who could help Mayfield (or Tannehill, I guess) out a lot more than Kenyan Drake.

43. New England Patriots (via San Francisco) - Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford - The Patriots need to get a capable defensive tackle and Phillips fits the bill.

44. Washington - Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC - Not sure if this fills a need. Thoughts?

45. Green Bay Packers - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU - If you're a Vikings, Lions, or Bears fan, panic.

46. Cincinnati Bengals - Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas - Jefferson can play inside or outside and is great in pursuit.

47. Philadelphia Eagles (via Arizona) - Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia - Kiser and Jordan Hicks in the middle would spell trouble for opposing offenses.

48. Los Angeles Chargers - Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State - Rivers won't play forever and I think Rudolph fits better than Lamar Jackson.

49. New York Jets (via Seattle) - Rasheem Green, DT, USC - Green is a solid tackle who could play well alongside Leonard Williams.

50. Dallas Cowboys - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina - Witten won't last forever, but while he will, him and Hurst would be a great combination.

51. Detroit Lions - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - Michel is an impressive running back with good elusiveness and some receiving experience who would be an instant upgrade.

52. Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson, QB/ATH, Louisville - Jackson would be a solid dual-threat QB to groom behind Flacco, and while he learns he could offer something as a receiver or running back with his crazy athleticism and elusiveness. He could be a great gadget player and eventual starting QB.

53. New York Giants (via Buffalo - see No. 2) - James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State - If Washington could even warrant some sort of safety attention, Odell Beckham will take notice.

54. Kansas City Chiefs - Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State - The Chiefs' main problem was in the secondary and McFadden could fix that problem.

55. Carolina Panthers - Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis - The Panthers need a new no. 1. Any thoughts from somebody who knows the Panthers better?

56. Buffalo Bills (via Los Angeles) - Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State - The Bills need an upgrade at ILB and LVE offers that.

57. Tennessee Titans - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State - Although not the best receiving tight end in the draft, Gesicki is well-rounded, good for a run-first offense.

58. Atlanta Falcons - Marcus Allen, S, Penn State - Allen and Keanu Neal would give the Falcons a young group of enforcers in the back.

59. San Francisco 49ers (via New Orleans) - Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado - The NFL would take notice with Garoppolo throwing to Gallup and TE Jimmy Graham.

60. New England Patriots (Projected Trade: New England trades 2.63, 6.XX to Pittsburgh for 2.60) - Luke Falk, QB, Washington State - The Patriots jump ahead of a couple teams potentially looking for the franchise signal-caller and land a guy to develop behind Brady.

61. Jacksonville Jaguars - Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma - Giving the Jags a tight end is a popular choice, and Andrews is a good player.

62. Minnesota Vikings - Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA - The Vikings have some offensive line questions and Miller could give that situation clarity.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers (via New England - See No. 60) - Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa - Jewell has good instincts as a middle linebacker and it's a need for Pittsburgh, as Shazier is probably never coming back, at least at the same level.

64. Cleveland Browns (via Philadelphia) - Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon - The Browns pick up a guy to replace Joe Thomas down the road.

Comment your thoughts for your team. Any trades you think your team might make? Is the pick bad (probably the majority of comments)? 

The only problem I see with your plan for the Colts is they are switching to a 4-3 D which means Sheldon Richardson would be DT not DE and the Colts interior DL is actually really good with Henry Anderson and Johnathan Hankins (Al Woods is a free agent but Richardson wouldn’t be replacing him). If they aren’t drafting Bradley Chubb then they need to get an edge in the second round because the best in free agency are likely all getting franchised (Lawrence and Ansah) 

I’m waiting to see what happens with McCarron and his grievance. If he wins I’d prefer the Cardinals go after him and hold on to their picks. I would also go playmakers in the first couple of rounds. WR/CB. It’s a deep draft for Oline and can be addressed in later rounds. 

Some will hate it, but I don`t.

Bills get their franchise QB, still have a 2nd round this year and a pick in rounds 3 and 5 as well as two 4ths. They also wouldn`t have broke the bank in next years draft only giving up a 2nd.

The only issue someone should have is if they would rather Rosen or Mayfield over Darnold.

LVE in round 2 is amazing as well. 

26. Atlanta Falcons - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama - The Falcons need a defensive tackle to replace the likely-gone Dontari Poe, and Payne is a good choice.

Love the falcons 1st round pick as any of the top tier DT's in  Vea, Payne, Hurst, or Bryan  would be great picks for us in round 1.   I have them listed in the order i would personally prefer but i can see why someone else might like others in different order.   To get my 2nd favorite one of the bunch in this class is a great get for us imo.

As for round 2 i like Marcus Allen as a player but Safety isn't really a need for us as we already have a Allen at FS who has played very well and is a RFA this year and we are looking to resign him supposedly.  If someone thros us a 2nd rounder to come get him though while on RFA on his tender then so be it then we can look at a FS in the draft.  But until that happens im more than happy with the Ricardo Allen  at FS he was the leader of our defense and has been for 2 years now.  He gets us set and has lead us top a top 10 defense this year along with Deion Jones.

The position i would replace FS with is OG though as we for sure need one of those as it's our 2nd biggest need in the draft.  Andy Levitre our LG is in his last year of his contract and set to make 8 mil this year at 31 or 32.   We might can restructure him for 2 more years at a lower cap hit to secure LG for 3 more years.   But RG was not that impressive for us and was our weakest link this year in Wes.   Another position there would be TE as i see Andrews at TE there available in round 2 and he is almost a 1st round quality TE and the #1 in this draft.  Thats a position that needs to be upgrade as well. 

With the depth at OG in this draft i think i wait til round 3 and grab one there like Daniels or Ragnow while taking Andrews at TE in round 2.

The Titans do not need another Tightend. Besides we are gonna be a different offense since Mularkey is gone! Carlton Davis would be the ideal pick there. Since he is still available! 

Our top needs are OLB, G, CB, ILB, SS, RB, C

What the hell is the obsession with mocking the Titans a TE? Still have one of the best TEs in the game in Delanie Walker who has shown no signs of slowing down and just drafted Jonnu Smith last year in the 3rd round. They’re certainly not giving up on a higher pick who had a solid season for a raw prospect as a backup TE. The Landry pick is great. Other needs include OG, ILB, and DB.

1) I WOULD pass on trading a 4th for Tyrod Taylor for the jags.  he isnt an improvement over blake.  honestly Blakes as good as hes already on the roster. blakes a lil more risky with the ball but ill take that over a weak arm qb who consistently throws short passes. 

2) i would pass on adding RT in round 1. im honestly having trouble figuring out who'd i want there but: Arden key, Courtland Sutton, Mason Rudolph. id probably go with Rudolph seeing we do need some competition at QB but i can easily see us grabbing Sutton to atleast improve our WR corps with Allen Robinson and Marquise Lee both free agents and Hurns potentially traded/Cut. 

3) Andrews in round 2 ill take it. 

1 hour ago, Zantku said:

The Titans do not need another Tightend. Besides we are gonna be a different offense since Mularkey is gone! Carlton Davis would be the ideal pick there. Since he is still available! 

Our top needs are OLB, G, CB, ILB, SS, RB, C

I knew I forgot somebody. Thanks

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Some will hate it, but I don`t.

Bills get their franchise QB, still have a 2nd round this year and a pick in rounds 3 and 5 as well as two 4ths. They also wouldn`t have broke the bank in next years draft only giving up a 2nd.

The only issue someone should have is if they would rather Rosen or Mayfield over Darnold.

LVE in round 2 is amazing as well. 

I agree. I’m not gonna hate on us going up to get our guy this year if they believe in him. This is pretty much what we all thought would happen after last year’s trade down. Keeping or first in next year’s draft is also real nice. I’d. Be excited.

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I agree. I’m not gonna hate on us going up to get our guy this year if they believe in him. This is pretty much what we all thought would happen after last year’s trade down. Keeping or first in next year’s draft is also real nice. I’d. Be excited.

That’s what can happen when you already have two first rounders. It’ll be interesting to see what the Bills do with them. 

Archived