The Reuben Foster Legal File Thread

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

What was the exact statement Lynch made regarding the support of Foster? Because he also said the 49ers weren't concerned about his character, and that the 49ers were exhaustive in getting to know him. That was after the draft. Then a month ago after his arrest Lynch said that Foster knows he has to keep his nose clean. Didn't do it. So where do draw the line? Two arrests? Four arrests? The expectation should be for players to act like mature professionals, or the team will find someone who will. And why does Foster get a longer leash anyway? Because he came to the organization with red flags? That doesn't make sense. If anything he should get a shorter leash. Like I said, let's call a spade a spade. He's a first round pick, and a player that has superstar potential. That's why he hasn't been kicked out the door. Coyle would have either been gone, or not drafted in the first place. 

You don't necessarily draw a line. It might not even take an extra arrest for Lynch to release him. You're trying to make this black or white, but it really isn't. You try, you make mistakes, you try to fix mistakes, you re-evaluate, you try again, only then you give up. It's not just you try, you give up because of some clearly defined principle, a line drawn in the sand. I feel like, had Lynch made a statement about Adrian Colbert after the draft, I would hold him to his word just as much, even if he wasn't a first rounder. If there's a line somewhere, to me, it's not yet crossed. Maybe he crossed yours, I don't know. From all I've gathered from his two arrests, he's hardly the most troubled guy in the NFL. Not the most mature, sure, but he's not a hardened criminal. He needs to be disciplined. He needs to mature. So why not help him mature? Do you really think he's unsalvageable? 

13 hours ago, rudyZ said:

You don't necessarily draw a line. It might not even take an extra arrest for Lynch to release him. You're trying to make this black or white, but it really isn't. You try, you make mistakes, you try to fix mistakes, you re-evaluate, you try again, only then you give up. It's not just you try, you give up because of some clearly defined principle, a line drawn in the sand. I feel like, had Lynch made a statement about Adrian Colbert after the draft, I would hold him to his word just as much, even if he wasn't a first rounder. If there's a line somewhere, to me, it's not yet crossed. Maybe he crossed yours, I don't know. From all I've gathered from his two arrests, he's hardly the most troubled guy in the NFL. Not the most mature, sure, but he's not a hardened criminal. He needs to be disciplined. He needs to mature. So why not help him mature? Do you really think he's unsalvageable? 

What I really think is that the 49ers need not be a baby sitting service. Tons of guys aren't squandering their opportunity in the NFL. But Foster gets special treatment because he was picked with baggage already on his plate? Not the precedent I'd like the franchise to set. My goodness, does Foster need his *** wiped and his shoes tied for him too? 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

What I really think is that the 49ers need not be a baby sitting service. Tons of guys aren't squandering their opportunity in the NFL. But Foster gets special treatment because he was picked with baggage already on his plate? Not the precedent I'd like the franchise to set. My goodness, does Foster need his *** wiped and his shoes tied for him too? 

So far, his arrests have been for possession of pot (which is legal in many places in the world, but not in Alabama, which was his mistake) and for a domestic violence that wasn't really all that violent, according to reports, for which he entirely cooperated with the police. Now, maybe his gun isn't legal, and yes, it's stupid and another mistake. But he hasn't gone full Aaron Hernandez or Ray Rice, for all we know, yet he should already be shown the door? It hasn't been drunk driving. He hasn't punched anyone. He didn't shoot anyone. Yes, he is stupid. Very stupid. The drug possession in Alabama was stupid. The gun is stupid. But if that's the extent of his crimes, I think it's premature to get rid of him. I can understand not believing in him long term, in thinking that these stupidities are just hinting at future stupidities, perhaps even bigger and stupider things. He's immature, I get it. But so far, his immaturity and stupidity are still within a tolerable range. Tolerable is perhaps not the best word for it. Maybe forgivable. Not all crimes are equal. When Kilgore got arrested because he was drunk on a sidewalk, should the NFL have suspended him? Foster needs to get smarter, we all agree with that. Where we disagree is whether he should be given a chance to get smarter. I don't think that's special treatment, I think that's common treatment for anyone who is being stupid. Special treatment is Ray Lewis. 

29 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

So far, his arrests have been for possession of pot (which is legal in many places in the world, but not in Alabama, which was his mistake) and for a domestic violence that wasn't really all that violent, according to reports, for which he entirely cooperated with the police. Now, maybe his gun isn't legal, and yes, it's stupid and another mistake. But he hasn't gone full Aaron Hernandez or Ray Rice, for all we know, yet he should already be shown the door? It hasn't been drunk driving. He hasn't punched anyone. He didn't shoot anyone. Yes, he is stupid. Very stupid. The drug possession in Alabama was stupid. The gun is stupid. But if that's the extent of his crimes, I think it's premature to get rid of him. I can understand not believing in him long term, in thinking that these stupidities are just hinting at future stupidities, perhaps even bigger and stupider things. He's immature, I get it. But so far, his immaturity and stupidity are still within a tolerable range. Tolerable is perhaps not the best word for it. Maybe forgivable. Not all crimes are equal. When Kilgore got arrested because he was drunk on a sidewalk, should the NFL have suspended him? Foster needs to get smarter, we all agree with that. Where we disagree is whether he should be given a chance to get smarter. I don't think that's special treatment, I think that's common treatment for anyone who is being stupid. Special treatment is Ray Lewis. 

Kilgore has screwed up once in eight years. Foster has done it three times in ten months. Dude can't keep his name out of the papers in a negative light. He's been given multiple chances already to clean up his act. It's time to go. Offenses shouldn't get to Ray Lewis level to get a pass. 

Seeing as he hasn't been released yet, I'm guessing he stays. Only a matter of time before he screws up again though. Will be interesting to have this conversation once more when it happens.

Maybe we want to change the title of the thread to "Rueben Foster arrested for the second time" instead of "again". Every time the thread is bumped back to the top of the page, I honestly get a little case of Tourrett's thinking it's a new thread ha ha...

“Listen, I know there’s a lot of conjecture as to, ‘Well, of course Brock wasn’t the player that Reuben is.’" Lynch said. "I would counter to say that he was a starting cornerback for us. And we didn’t take that lightly"

^someone asked Lynch why didn't Brock get the same treatment Foster has.

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

「Listen, I know there's a lot of conjecture as to, 『Well, of course Brock wasn't the player that Reuben is.』" Lynch said. "I would counter to say that he was a starting cornerback for us. And we didn't take that lightly"

^someone asked Lynch why didn't Brock get the same treatment Foster has.

Yeah, the "every situation is different" card. Lynch has earned the benefit of the doubt thus far, so okay I'll roll with it. 

This at least shuts down the opinion that he might not make the team or he wasn't one of Lynch's "guys". He was going to be a starting corner this past season for the 49ers. Could have used his services too considering who was on the roster. 

Glad someone asked him on that though. 

• 2 weeks later...

— One side note to this: Another reason the 49ers feel so good about their roster is that they remain confident in linebacker Reuben Foster's future, despite his two recent arrests and the looming potential for NFL and legal discipline, I've heard.

— The 49ers don't know exactly how all this will resolve legally in the short term, and Foster could be facing an NFL suspension to start 2018 almost no matter what. But I've heard that the 49ers at this point don't believe he did anything that will lead to severe punishment and that they fully intend to support him and keep him on the roster. That is, of course, if he can stay out of trouble from now on.

From Kawakami's article. 

So maybe only a 2-4 game suspension, if that? And maybe good news for Foster that he may not be charged? 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/11/17106916/reuben-foster-future-49ers-rumors-suspension

Today marks one month since Foster was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, making criminal threats, and illegal weapons possession. Given that Foster remains on the roster, it is not entirely surprising that the team would feel this way. Additionally, more about the case will become known over the next ten days. The Santa Clara DA’s office has until Tuesday, March 13th to decide whether or not to file charges against Foster. Additionally, he has a March 21st court date in Alabama for his marijuana possession charge.

Tomorrow is the day. If he can make it to 5pm tomorrow (end of business I would assume) then he will have cleared a major hurdle. It will mean the firearm was legal. 

Leveon Bell got a 1 game suspension for his pot arrest. If no charges are filed, then I cant imagine foster getting more than 3 games. I would hope that Goodell would agree to meet with him before issuing any suspension. I think a face to face will help tremendously in keeping the number of games low... first things first, lets make it through the next 30 hours.

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Leveon Bell got a 1 game suspension for his pot arrest. If no charges are filed, then I cant imagine foster getting more than 3 games. I would hope that Goodell would agree to meet with him before issuing any suspension. I think a face to face will help tremendously in keeping the number of games low... first things first, lets make it through the next 30 hours.

Who knows with Goodell, to be honest. His suspensions and disciplines are so random that I'm pretty sure that he just spins a wheel. 

Archived