BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm assuming for this one we'd adopt all of the typical Franchise tag details as well? Aka you can only franchise someone twice. If you franchise them a second time its 120% of the salary.

You can already do this with a 3 Up. Basically they are asking to add a 4th 3 Up with this rule. Which will kill FA even deader than it already is.

@PR What rounds specifically were you looking to increase? The RFA rules in place you basically keep late rounders for 4 years anyway

All of them. He wants the cheapest guys possible the longest possible years and to get around the RFA rules. He's a founding member of the Levi 501 Blues club. ($501/2-3 year deals)

Any reason why we're putting this in? have 6 year deals become a detriment to the league?

Most NFL deals aren't this long anymore. It's all about the Guaranteed money which isn't an issue in BDL because unless you 3 down someone it's all Guaranteed. 

Basically deals go to 6 years just to try and push other teams out.  So it's a benefit for the Owners and not the players. The average FA players would get more Money per year at a 5 years limit. 

I'm not a big fan of this one but I'm willing to listen. There weren't many people signed in FA to begin with because of this restriction. I think raising it just puts more people in the Tank for 1 year deals. Also if the person is worth the spend in FA more than likely there will be more than one person who thinks so as well and naturally will raise the price tag.

This won't effect the guys "not signed because of this restriction" as you say. It's more of a simplification for the Math that people always get wrong. It's easier to just look and see what half of the Avg Salary is to start with. Most players that are worth bidding up on reach this amount anyway.  So it's just cutting down all the initial min bidding up dithering that lasts for days and eventually leads people to switch off to other targets.  This would speed up that process.

15 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Actually we voted to raise the cap every year going forward this past Winter. So you can plan now going forward. Comparatively,  we've been at $170 for awhile now and the NFL salary cap for 2017 was only $167M.  This year it jumped to $177M and next year is supposed to go to $190. A $20K increase for next year is insane IMO. We also don't have all the other minutiae of the NFL Salary cap like carrying over cap and dead cap space, which is something we don't want. So having the caps be equal make no sense IMO.

You're right, I thought we had discussed this already but forgot the actual vote. I'm fine with holding to a standardized cap raising system, that said regardless of the minor details like carrying cap and dead space I think we'll want to be closer to the NFL cap rather than farther from it as those minor details don't affect every team and don't have a very large effect, comparatively, unless you're Jerry Jones.

15 hours ago, SirA1 said:

You can already do this with a 3 Up. Basically they are asking to add a 4th 3 Up with this rule. Which will kill FA even deader than it already is.

Then do we replace a 3up with a franchise tag? Just trying to figure out the details. I guess this is more of a @WFLukic question.

14 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Most NFL deals aren't this long anymore. It's all about the Guaranteed money which isn't an issue in BDL because unless you 3 down someone it's all Guaranteed. 

Basically deals go to 6 years just to try and push other teams out.  So it's a benefit for the Owners and not the players. The average FA players would get more Money per year at a 5 years limit. 

I don't see the reason to restrict these deals in the BDL unless they're prohibitive or detrimental. Most players of this caliber in the BDL will get 3up'd anyway and their deal would be restricted to their NFL deal. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only deal off the top of my head that went over 5 years was Fletcher Cox who got a 6 year deal IRL anyway.

14 hours ago, SirA1 said:

This won't effect the guys "not signed because of this restriction" as you say. It's more of a simplification for the Math that people always get wrong. It's easier to just look and see what half of the Avg Salary is to start with. Most players that are worth bidding up on reach this amount anyway.  So it's just cutting down all the initial min bidding up dithering that lasts for days and eventually leads people to switch off to other targets.  This would speed up that process.

Meh, I get the "easy math" argument but it seems like a dumb reason to raise the limit IMO.

19 hours ago, SirA1 said:

All of them. He wants the cheapest guys possible the longest possible years and to get around the RFA rules. He's a founding member of the Levi 501 Blues club. ($501/2-3 year deals)

Dude IRL 7th round picks are getting four year deals. It has nothing to do with 501 and everything to do with matching IRL contracts.

- Reduce the % of 3ups from 85% to 75%: YES
- BDL Cap is set at NFL cap (in thousands) for the given season: NO
- Add Franchise Tag - Franchise tag player for 1 year at the average of the top 5 players at their position in the BDL if they're set to become a UFA: NO
- Increase # of years on mid to late round picks: NO
- Increase the FA minimum bid from 40% to 50% of IRL salary: NO
- Reduce Max contract size for players from 6 years to 5 years: YES

Those are my votes.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, Hockey5djh said:

So while we're all just aimlessly checking in and not really doing much.....wanna talk about the topics before the Owner's meeting starts?

- Reduce the % of 3ups from 85% to 75% - NO
- BDL Cap is set at NFL cap (in thousands) for the given season - NO
- Add Franchise Tag - Franchise tag player for 1 year at the average of the top 5 players at their position in the BDL if they're set to become a UFA. - NO
- Increase # of years on mid to late round picks - YES
- Increase the FA minimum bid from 40% to 50% of IRL salary - NO
- Reduce Max contract size for players from 6 years to 5 years - YES

Here are my votes.

Hometown discounts are almost nonexistent in the NFL, so I don't like the idea of increasing ours.
I'd rather keep it updated a year or so ahead of time as we have been.
We have enough ways to keep guys.  I think 3Ups more than make up for this.
Matching RL would make life easier.
Even less people would bid on FAs.  
Largely irrelevant, but it does make everything match the NFL a bit more closely.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Hey @Jlash where you at? I haven't seen any excessive likes thrown around recently.

It's quiet and no one has been around so I've gone off the grid for a little while. Had to recharge before I'm on here non stop again!