BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

8 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Is the FA list in the BDL Rosters workbook up-to-date for the shark tank?

Thanks.

Nope. I've done some of the positions but not most. None of the Rookies that weren't drafted are on the list either.

21 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

This is why I was anti year long three ups in the first place.  He's loopholing but legal 

It isnt legal as those rules dont actually kick in until the next season. Year long at this very moment should still be 85% as the league season has not ticked over.

11 hours ago, Jlash said:

How does this counteract limiting them? When this season ends, SirA will only have two 3 ups left. 

A 3 up can be used year round (it's a rule), and a 3 up used now goes against what he'd use this coming offseason. I agreed with him using the 75% because a 3 up used now and a 3 up used the day after the season ends shouldn't be counted at different rates if they're both lumped into the same group of 3 ups. 

Because every rule does not turn on until this season's conclusion. At this current point every 3UP would still be 85% as 2019 rules are in limbo until that season begins. It is not that season right now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

You couldnt use a 2019 3up prior to 2018s FA period only the 2018 3ups

2019 3ups go from the end of FA to the day before the next one if my memory is accurate.

22 hours ago, MD4L said:

3 UPs are year round. This definitely counts toward SirA’s 19-20 group.

15 hours ago, Jlash said:

How does this counteract limiting them? When this season ends, SirA will only have two 3 ups left. 

A 3 up can be used year round (it's a rule), and a 3 up used now goes against what he'd use this coming offseason. I agreed with him using the 75% because a 3 up used now and a 3 up used the day after the season ends shouldn't be counted at different rates if they're both lumped into the same group of 3 ups. 

So....according to OleX you can't use them before FA. What are the limitations to "year round", when does the year start and end? I understand that its a broad statement but my understanding is that "year round" is the equivalent to "all season long". If this is the case then using 2019 3ups shouldn't be allowed in 2018.

If it is a loophole Then that's fine but I'd then make the argument that it shouldn't be allowed at 75% this season because again, he's using things that are in place forthe 2019 season and is getting those benefits in 2018.

Also I realize I'm making a big stink over something that really is minor because at the end of the day Hunter and Frederick are both already signed and can both be 3upped at the same exact rate next offseason but I want to make sure that the "rules" that everyone is claiming are being loop-holed are actually clear because as they read right now I can technically use a 2019 3up to save a FA in 2018 and I think that's a slippery slope.

I think we set the dates for 3ups as  from *insert day of FA ending* to *day next FA begins* and you can use your 3ups at any point in between. Hence the 6 month gap you can use a 2019 3up in 2018.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also I realize I'm making a big stink over something that really is minor because at the end of the day Hunter and Frederick are both already signed and can both be 3upped at the same exact rate next offseason but I want to make sure that the "rules" that everyone is claiming are being loop-holed are actually clear because as they read right now I can technically use a 2019 3up to save a FA in 2018 and I think that's a slippery slope.

I don’t understand Frederick’s deal. Three year extension at the same rate? Not even the highest paid at his position.

12 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I don’t understand Frederick’s deal. Three year extension at the same rate? Not even the highest paid at his position.

I don't get why Lukic even used a 3up could've just 100% extended him and saved the 3up.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

I think we set the dates for 3ups as  from *insert day of FA ending* to *day next FA begins* and you can use your 3ups at any point in between. Hence the 6 month gap you can use a 2019 3up in 2018.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Oh I get the year long 3 up.....but I don't see where the year long 3up allows you to go into next year's stash.

2017 3ups could be used from the start of the 2017 league year, through the 2017 offseason until the 2018 season is "started" (aka end of 2017 season)
2018 3ups can be used from the start of the 2018 league year, through the 2018 offseason until the 2019 season is "started" (aka end of 2018 season)
2019 3ups can be used from the start of the 2019 league year, through the 2019 offseason until the 2020 season is "started" (aka end of 2019 season)

I would like to propose for next offseason that we remove the "Year Round" language from all rules to "All season" to reflect the above. I want to close the loophole before a move comes in that clearly circumvents the spirit of the above. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:
17 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I don't get why Lukic even used a 3up could've just 100% extended him and saved the 3up.

Yea...he Plaxico'd himself on that one a bit for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Actually Hunter cannot be 3 Upped at the same rate next year. Which is why I am doing it now. Because of this dumb rule, which penalized JLash and Bitonio this year.

If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 85% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $8,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,800 per year for 5 years. 

Basically what this says is that because Hunter is still on his BDL Rookie Deal he's a special 3 Up case in that in order to use 6 years to spread contract over I have to 3 Up him this year. If I wait until 2019 I can only offer him a 5 year deal and have to account for the entire $72M extension so he would be more expensive if I waited. I save cap room with the intention of 3 Upping him this year. The 75% thing is just a bonus be because that's what we voted 2019 and after 3 Ups to be.  

You can use a 2019 3 Up now if you have the cap space. It doesn't net you any other advantage that spreading out the deal for another year to get minimal cap space ($1K) . You will still be down a 3 Up in 2019 and only have 2 more available.

23 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I don't think Frederick's 3 Up offer is valid because he has 3 years left on his current BDL contract. A 3 Up is for a pending FA which we have always defined at 0-1 year left. He can wait 2 years and use a 2021 3 up for the same effect.