BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Actually Hunter cannot be 3 Upped at the same rate next year. Which is why I am doing it now. Because of this dumb rule, which penalized JLash and Bitonio this year.

Basically what this says is that because Hunter is still on his BDL Rookie Deal he's a special 3 Up case in that in order to use 6 years to spread contract over I have to 3 Up him this year. If I wait until 2019 I can only offer him a 5 year deal and have to account for the entire $72M extension so he would be more expensive if I waited. I save cap room with the intention of 3 Upping him this year. The 75% thing is just a bonus be because that's what we voted 2019 and after 3 Ups to be.  

You can use a 2019 3 Up now if you have the cap space. It doesn't net you any other advantage that spreading out the deal for another year to get minimal cap space ($1K) . You will still be down a 3 Up in 2019 and only have 2 more available.

You're right, you're also getting the benefit of the expanding of the contract to bring the value down on top of the 85%/75% change. Now you should probably answer @PR as to why that benefit should be allowed. 

5 hours ago, PR said:

Because every rule does not turn on until this season's conclusion. At this current point every 3UP would still be 85% as 2019 rules are in limbo until that season begins. It is not that season right now.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Jlash said:

If the player is an upcoming free agent that is not coming out of his BDL rookie deal.... 
If a player is under BDL rookie contract but has just signed a new contract IRL...
If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract....

I would agree with you @SirA1 on the Frederick deal not being valid as he doesn't fit the 3up criteria.

10 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

deals like the Hunter and Frederick deal don't circumvent that they just take advantage of the 85%/75% a year early but they open the door for a future deal to do just that.

This "Loophole" that people think I am taking advantage of is only going to be open for this year. And is open to everyone with Cap space. Going forward it will just be come the norm.

The Year for purposes of 3 Ups has always been FA to FA. So Once FA started this year all 2018 3 Ups became void. Any 3 Ups used after FA started would use 2019 3 Ups. I believe the 75% change will actually cause more 3 Ups to be used which is a good thing. Barely a third of the teams used all of theirs this year because of the higher contracts. Btionio should have been signed for like $8K-9K/yr as a 3 Up this year but went to FA and got less money in $6K/yr

5 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

You're right, you're also getting the benefit of the expanding of the contract to bring the value down on top of the 85%/75% change. Now you should probably answer @PR as to why that benefit should be allowed. 

That's his opinion.  I interpret is to be using a 2019 resource so I should get the 2019 benefit. Otherwise it's an unnecessary Penalty just used to cost me more cap space in the future.

He's also salty about the whole Mewhort thing.

16 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

This "Loophole" that people think I am taking advantage of is only going to be open for this year. And is open to everyone with Cap space. Going forward it will just be come the norm.

The Year for purposes of 3 Ups has always been FA to FA. So Once FA started this year all 2018 3 Ups became void. Any 3 Ups used after FA started would use 2019 3 Ups. I believe the 75% change will actually cause more 3 Ups to be used which is a good thing. Barely a third of the teams used all of theirs this year because of the higher contracts. Btionio should have been signed for like $8K-9K/yr as a 3 Up this year but went to FA and got less money in $6K/yr

I consider using a 2019 3up in 2018 a loophole. Thus my proposal.

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

That's his opinion.  I interpret is to be using a 2019 resource so I should get the 2019 benefit. Otherwise it's an unnecessary Penalty just used to cost me more cap space in the future.

And I and others interpret the rule to go into effect one calendar year after vote is approved as we do with everything else.  I don't agree with circumventing that just because you put a different year tag on the 3Up.

Also, I am fully convinced I can't have nice things.  RIP Guice.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

And I and others interpret the rule to go into effect one calendar year after vote is approved as we do with everything else.  I don't agree with circumventing that just because you put a different year tag on the 3Up.

Also, I am fully convinced I can't have nice things.  RIP Guice.

You have had the worst injury/suspension luck so far, RIP berlin.

5 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Glad to know every one of my view points is going to be linked to Mewhort this year.

8 hours ago, SirA1 said:

It's just going to open up a huge can of worms going forward with when every rule goes into effect.  This is setting a precedent.

3 hours ago, PR said:

Glad to know every one of my view points is going to be linked to Mewhort this year.

Take it in stride and blame your losses on Mewhort, make him your scapegoat you're gonna need one.

22 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Actually Hunter cannot be 3 Upped at the same rate next year. Which is why I am doing it now. Because of this dumb rule, which penalized JLash and Bitonio this year.

Basically what this says is that because Hunter is still on his BDL Rookie Deal he's a special 3 Up case in that in order to use 6 years to spread contract over I have to 3 Up him this year. If I wait until 2019 I can only offer him a 5 year deal and have to account for the entire $72M extension so he would be more expensive if I waited. I save cap room with the intention of 3 Upping him this year. The 75% thing is just a bonus be because that's what we voted 2019 and after 3 Ups to be.  

You can use a 2019 3 Up now if you have the cap space. It doesn't net you any other advantage that spreading out the deal for another year to get minimal cap space ($1K) . You will still be down a 3 Up in 2019 and only have 2 more available.

Exactly what I was going to point out SirA. I’ve been burned by this with Bitonio and with Michael Bennett years ago. You get penalized for waiting until the offseason.

Need to hear more about why this 75% rule should apply to this league year rather than next.  Why is this rule different than all other previous ones?  If the 75% rule does wind up going into effect immediately, all other rules will go into effect immediately going forward, including those approved at the summer owners meeting.  Explain any disagreement with this statement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

Need to hear more about why this 75% rule should apply to this league year rather than next.  Why is this rule different than all other previous ones?  If the 75% rule does wind up going into effect immediately, all other rules will go into effect immediately going forward, including those approved at the summer owners meeting.  Explain any disagreement with this statement.

The 3up is used year round, it's going to be used until the next FA period (aka 10 months-ish from now)  so it would be kind of stupid to say you can't use the 75% until june/july of next year.

It covers both the 2018 season and 2019 off-season hence why it should be used for 2018.