BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

Free Agency Deal Grader:

1. RB Adrian Peterson - 1002/2 (501 per) to Wichita  - Grade: D

Given how many teams drafted rookie RBs and the fact that most teams appear set at RB, I don't think he lands with a team. Even if he does, he's backup at best and on top of that, he might not have anything left in the tank. 

This would be an F but the fact he might retire/not play in the next year means this contract can probably be voided after the 1 year. 

2. RB Cameron Artis-Payne - 1002/2 (501 per) to Wichita - Grade: F

If you had one of the two Panthers players ahead of him on the depth chart, this could be understandable as a handcuff. I really don't get this though? Guy has 400 yards in his career and two players who should eat 95% of the snaps in front of him.

3. RB Isaiah Crowell - 4000/2 (2000 per) to Long Beach - Grade: B

Crowell's a solid back and Ingram being out for the first 4 weeks probably increased the urgency on this, but it's a guy who'll be getting a good share of the snaps and at only 2 years, it's pretty harmless. Perhaps a bit much to pay for a 3rd string RB, but the market is thin and LB needed to make a move. 

4. LeGarrette Blount - 1600/2 (800 per) to Long Beach - Grade: B-

Exact same comments as above tbh. Blount offers a good option at the goal line and for short distance and the contract isn't too harmful. Might struggle to pick-up a team next year so 800 in cap just sitting around won't be ideal, but it's certainly manageable. 

5. TJ Yeldon - 1200/2 (600 per) to Cuba - Grade: B- 

I kind of like this, but would make more sense for Wichita. In fact, I don't know why Wichita didn't pursue him. Anyway, he's the 2nd RB behind a seemingly injury prone back and imo, is actually a solid back himself. Nonetheless, decent back-up to have and a bit of upside given when he leaves in FA, there's a possibility he gets a starting job elsewhere. 

6. Ty Montgomery - 2000/2 (1000 per) to Seoul - Grade: C+

Not really sure what the situation is in the Packer's backfield but there's a bit of upside with Montgomery I suppose. He could turn out to be a pretty good 3rd down back type, but it's difficult to be crazy about this deal given the uncertainty. He is a potential starter at best and at worst a role player who will get some carries and catches so a cheap deal on a young guy means reasonable upside with little risk.

Other positions to come.

• Like 8

Rumors coming out of the Ivory Coast say that the local government is considering implementing a new "Purge" policy annually after watching a number of crappy movies from a franchise developed in the US. Some high profile figures are said to be potentially targetted, including a number of players for the Black Rhinos. Who they are remains to be seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Free Agency Deal Grader:

1. RB Adrian Peterson - 1002/2 (501 per) to Wichita  - Grade: D

Given how many teams drafted rookie RBs and the fact that most teams appear set at RB, I don't think he lands with a team. Even if he does, he's backup at best and on top of that, he might not have anything left in the tank. 

This would be an F but the fact he might retire/not play in the next year means this contract can probably be voided after the 1 year. 

2. RB Cameron Artis-Payne - 1002/2 (501 per) to Wichita - Grade: F

If you had one of the two Panthers players ahead of him on the depth chart, this could be understandable as a handcuff. I really don't get this though? Guy has 400 yards in his career and two players who should eat 95% of the snaps in front of him.

3. RB Isaiah Crowell - 4000/2 (2000 per) to Long Beach - Grade: B

Crowell's a solid back and Ingram being out for the first 4 weeks probably increased the urgency on this, but it's a guy who'll be getting a good share of the snaps and at only 2 years, it's pretty harmless. Perhaps a bit much to pay for a 3rd string RB, but the market is thin and LB needed to make a move. 

4. LeGarrette Blount - 1600/2 (800 per) to Long Beach - Grade: B-

Exact same comments as above tbh. Blount offers a good option at the goal line and for short distance and the contract isn't too harmful. Might struggle to pick-up a team next year so 800 in cap just sitting around won't be ideal, but it's certainly manageable. 

5. TJ Yeldon - 1200/2 (600 per) to Cuba - Grade: B- 

I kind of like this, but would make more sense for Wichita. In fact, I don't know why Wichita didn't pursue him. Anyway, he's the 2nd RB behind a seemingly injury prone back and imo, is actually a solid back himself. Nonetheless, decent back-up to have and a bit of upside given when he leaves in FA, there's a possibility he gets a starting job elsewhere. 

6. Ty Montgomery - 2000/2 (1000 per) to Seoul - Grade: C+

Not really sure what the situation is in the Packer's backfield but there's a bit of upside with Montgomery I suppose. He could turn out to be a pretty good 3rd down back type, but it's difficult to be crazy about this deal given the uncertainty. He is a potential starter at best and at worst a role player who will get some carries and catches so a cheap deal on a young guy means reasonable upside with little risk.

Other positions to come.

I have had TJ Yeldon on my team since for years. I was tired of him being on my team.

Free Agency Deal Grader:

1. TE Charles Clay - 12120/3 (4040 per) to Portland  - Grade: D

Clay's pretty consistent and in a decent spot as he's the longest tenured player on that Bills skill position group alongside Shady McCoy and should get a safe number of targets. You can expect that 500-600 yards as his floor. 

However, you already have Austin Hooper? Is Clay a drastic upgrade over Hooper? I don't think so, Hooper's in a good offense and the unquestioned no.1 TE. Heck, is he even an upgrade at all as Clay turns thirty and Hooper enters his 3rd year? Questionable amount to commit to a guy that doesn't necessarily make your team much better. 

2. TE Jeff Heuerman - 1002/2 (501 per) to Seoul - Grade: C

Meh. Speculative shot, maybe he gets a bigger role in our offense this year or maybe he fizzles and contributes nothing. C is my average grade as I said and I have no strong feelings towards this. 

3. TE Jordan Reed - 11250/3 (3750 per) to Rome  - Grade: B+

It's pretty much a bet on his health because when on the field, the production is quality. The defending champs have the cap space and roster equipped to take a risk like this so it's high upside move without a great risk attached to it. Would have preferred a 2 year deal over a 3 year deal with such a risky player but solid piece of business. 

4. TE Julius Thomas - 1002/2 (501 per) to Louisiana - Grade: D

This was a pretty poor move on my part as it was pretty much in the hopes the Chargers would ****** him up to replace Hunter Henry. I really could've waited until the tank but I think he either signs with the Chargers and produces nicely for a backup TE or I cut him after this year. Meh.

5. TE Luke Willson - 2000/2 (1000 per) to Long Beach - Grade: B

Is he the next Delanie Walker or just another guy? Probably another guy who's more of a tank candidate but we'll see how he goes with Stafford. Has a good chance to be the no.1 TE after being stuck in Graham's shadow for a few years and could surprise. Decent business. 

6. TE Stephen Anderson -  1302/2 (651 per) to Portland - Grade: C

Tbh, I didn't know who this guy was and he definitely has the most generic name of anyone that's been bid on. Not going to judge without seeing him play, but looks like he could get meaningful snaps this year and he's young so it's... ok.

7. TE Trey Burton -  14900/4 (3725 per) to Berlin - Grade B

His ceiling is developing into a Jordan Reed player and he's essentially going for the same price. I can't give this a better grade than Reed but it's not bad business either. Perhaps a bit of an overreaction by Rags to fill his two TE set that he's insistent on after Henry's injury, but the upside in Burton himself is there. Just better hope Adam Shaheen doesn't break out. 

8. TE Vance McDonald - 5244/2 (2622 per) to Sydney - Grade F

I get the upside thing, but Bell, Brown and Smith-Schuster sit in his way. Jesse James will see some snaps at TE too. He's getting paid on literally 1 performance, which came against a team that clearly didn't game plan for him at all. 

I'd understand taking a shot on him in the tank, but what if he ****s the bed this year? You're stuck with a not-insignificant contract and given cap space is already thin, it's hard to justify putting 1/4 of it towards a guy that won't start for your team.

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 4

Free Agency Deal Grader - WR Edition:

1. WR Brice Butler - 1350/2 (675 per) to Camden  - Grade: B

He's a potential IRL starter at WR and being paid like a 5th/6th string BDL WR. This is decent business because the upside is there with low risk for Camden, who have a lot of cap space. I was tempted to give it my first A but it's just Brice Butler lol. I think I'll limit the A's to players that figure to make a meaningful impact. Still, decent pick-up. 

2. WR Chester Rogers - 1002/2 (501 per) to Cuba - Grade: B

Same as above really. I know it may seem odd to rate a deal for a couple guys with limited production as better compared to one's for players who are proven contributors, but context is key. Cuba & Camden don't need to sign starting WRs, so starters with upside on cheap deals are better fits than potentially impactful starters who are more expensive, even if discounted.

3. WR Jermaine Kearse - 5400/3 (1800 per) to Seoul  - Grade: B-

Had a solid year last year, just not certain about the Jets WR room next year. Enunwa's return along with Pryor's signing mean there's quite a few guys that could take playing time away from him. Grade drops a bit because it's a 3 year deal as well, probably would've been better off as a 2 year deal but again, difficult to be overly critical. 

4. WR Jordy Nelson - 7680/2 (3840 per) to Wichita - Grade: F

33 year old who under-performed last year with Rodgers out. Projects to be the no.3 WR in Oakland as well I think, behind Bryant and Cooper. I think he was the least necessary out of the 3 WRs Wichita signed this year and is in the worst spot of them too. I don't hate Nelson himself, but Wichita's committing an obscene amount of cap to the WR position - over 1/5th of it and yet it's a group that isn't going to be causing anyone headaches. 

5. WR Keelan Cole - 2000/2 (1000 per) to Long Beach - Grade: C+

The Jags do some weird ****. Westbrook and Cole looked very capable as rookies and so they brought in DJ Chark and Donte Moncrief. Keelan Cole could be a starter or he could be 5th string I don't know. It's hard to judge this - 1000 per for a rookie who had 750 yards in isolation is great, but there's just too many question marks about whether he'll get the chance to repeat that, let alone will he actually do it.

6. WR Larry Fitzgerald -  14200/3 (4734 per) to Wichita - Grade: B+

Credit where credit is due, this is actually a good deal. He's retiring before he sucks so it's realistically a deal for as long as Fitzgerald is a productive player. The need was there and the money is right - a top 5 slot receiver for 4.7k is decent given his floor if healthy appears around 900 yards ish. I was tempted to award an A, but the mess Wichita made this week stops me from doing so.

7. WR Michael Crabtree - 14905/3 (4969 per) to Wichita - Grade: D

Wrong side of 30 and I don't think he's anything special. He's the no.1 receiver on the Ravens so at least he's a safe bet to get snaps, but that's a pretty hefty amount to pay for a guy that will either be a backup on your team, or force another highly paid player to be a backup. I'd also prefer 2 years as opposed to 3 given the age. I could forgive signing one of Nelson or Crabtree, but both given Dez, Stills, Parker and Fitzgerald are eating up around 27k is nuts. 

8. WR Robert Woods - 9000/3 (3000 per) to OKC - Grade: A

We have an A grade! Woods performed pretty well last year and I'm not at all concerned by Cooks being on the team as he'll just play the Watkins deep threat distraction role while Woods is the go to guy. Woods should be a solid player for the length of the contract as he's only 26, and will be in his 2nd year in the Rams O with McVay & Goff. If he can stay healthy he should push towards that 1000 yard mark. To top it off, OKC needed a vet starter to go with all those rookies and they got a really good fit in Woods who's contract is perfectly fine to have around even as a 4th or 5th string given the rookies will be so cheap. Great job Whicker. 

9. WR Sammy Watkins - 33500/5 (6700 per) to Louisiana - Grade: B

Just realised he's mine now so I'll grade this too. It's the biggest deal handed out thus far and being a 5 year deal, obviously carries some risk. With that said, Watkins is only 24 so the chances are he'll be just as good a player, if not better when the contract ends than he is now. He'll definitely get his in KC since I don't think they paid 16m for a diversion and this is a very good deal for Louisiana from a fit perspective given the amount of cap available, the need for a field stretcher and fitting in with the timeline for the recently drafted rookie QBs. Of course it's also a guy who's been plagued by injuries and hasn't produced to his skillset so the questions exist on that front too.

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 4