BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

We have always done those meetings to apply the year after.

I view this as trying to loophole that.  If you resign Hunter this year, it should be at 85%.  Im looking at calendar year of when the deal would be inked, not the year attached to that 3Up tag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Absolutely I'm paying the player 13.5 times his salary this year with the new contract. 

I'm doing it now to save some cap next year and paying the player more overall over 6 years versus 5 years.  

Because if I wait till next year I have to pay the Pheltz penalty. 

I can see the reasoning behind it. However, it is loopholly as ****. You are applying a 3UP from the future on the present year. But considering these new rules don't go into effect until the next league season, it would still be 85% in the current league season as next year hasn't officially changed until next year.

Edited by PR

I'm objecting to the Danielle Hunter being approved on the current terms because I, and evidently others, had assumed that the rule change would take effect next calendar year.  Not immediately due to the 3Ups being 2019 3Ups.  At the least, I would like @Jlash, @MD4L, and @bcb1213 to comment on this aspect before the deal goes through.

If nothing else, that should have been clarified during discussion of the rule change.  I think that when this would go into effect should be determined.  If the majority agree with @SirA1's POV, then that's fine.  If not, then 75% 3Ups should have to wait one calendar year.  

My preference would be that we vote on if the 75% aspect starts right away or next calendar year.  I'm not arguing the discount to 75%, just when it starts and feel like that should be clarified via vote as it was nowhere near clear when the vote took place.

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm objecting to the Danielle Hunter being approved on the current terms because I, and evidently others, had assumed that the rule change would take effect next calendar year.  Not immediately due to the 3Ups being 2019 3Ups.  At the least, I would like @Jlash, @MD4L, and @bcb1213 to comment on this aspect before the deal goes through.

If nothing else, that should have been clarified during discussion of the rule change.  I think that when this would go into effect should be determined.  If the majority agree with @SirA1's POV, then that's fine.  If not, then 75% 3Ups should have to wait one calendar year.  

My preference would be that we vote on if the 75% aspect starts right away or next calendar year.  I'm not arguing the discount to 75%, just when it starts and feel like that should be clarified via vote as it was nowhere near clear when the vote took place.

This is why I was anti year long three ups in the first place.  He's loopholing but legal 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Sorry, moving the conversations over to this thread.....wouldn't the things we voted on take place next season, not this season?

For example our cap space would only go up the 2% this season, but next season it trails the NFL by a year.

23 hours ago, SirA1 said:

The original 2% cap thing wouldn't have gone into effect until next year.  The new trailing thing is replacing it.  

The reason I am able to use the 75% 3 up amount is because any 3 up will be a 2019 3 up since it is after FA. 

22 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

What?  

No, I disagree with that.  

Wait wait wait.....you can't use 2019 3ups in 2018. That's kinda the point of limiting them. NFL teams don't use future franchise tags.

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Just now, bcb1213 said:

This is why I was anti year long three ups in the first place.  He's loopholing but legal 

How is that legal!? you can use 2018 3ups AFTER the 2017 season is over and after the 2018 season is over up until the new year cuts over, you can't use future 3ups (at future rates) to benefit your team this season.

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

How is that legal!? you can use 2018 3ups AFTER the 2017 season is over and after the 2018 season is over up until the new year cuts over, you can't use future 3ups (at future rates) to benefit your team this season.

That's how life used to be.  Was so simple