BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Oh yeah, almost forgot that I gave up a 5th round pick to get Markus Golden for 3,500/year for 3 years.  Assuming he bounces back from early season ACL surjury, he will be a great 3rd rusher behind Lawrence and Houston.  

53 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I'll do them if people post their whole draft class and want me to.

I'll also do post draft power rankings in may at some point.

Let's see it.

• Like 1

Ok do me, do me:

1.5 Denzel Ward CB
2.14 Lamar Jackson QB
2.16 Isaiah Wynn OL
3.11 Courtland Sutton WR
3.15 Darius Leonard LB
3.16 Sony Michel RB
4.3 Tyrell Crosby OL
4.12 DeShon Elliott S
5.1 Mason Rudolph QB
5.5 Orlando Brown OL
5.8 Josey Jewell LB
6.14 Harrison Phillips DL

• Like 1

@Ragnarok

Berlin 2018 Team Draft Grade: B+.

The grades haven't changed from the original draft grades I gave out ftr.

1.7 - Tremaine Edmunds - C+ grade.
1.15 - Derrius Guice - C Grade.
2.7 - Rashaan Evans - B+ grade.
4.7 - Kolton Miller - B+ grade.
5.6 - Lorenzo Carter - C+ Grade.
6.7 - Geron Christian - B grade.
7.7 - Da'Shawn Hand - B+ grade.
7.15 - Tarvarius Moore - B grade.

RFA Stuff: 5th for Marcus Golden: Meh Golden's cheap and a decent flyer for a 5th rounder, like the move and he gives decent depth behind a pair of somewhat unreliable starters. B grade.

BDL Draft Trades:

Berlin trades

Seoul trades

Meh the trade up for Guice is solid value but you could've waited on him until the 3rd IMO, still I get the pick given your lack of weapons on offense in general. 

Overall Berlin's goals were to come out out of this draft with a rebuilt LB corps, a starter at RB and some o-line depth. They accomplished all of that with some good if a bit questionable picks, especially the reaching for a RB part but still I'd say that's worthy of a B+. Still I feel Berlin should've come out of this draft with a QB as insurance for Jameis and a CB. 

Edited by DingoLadd
  • Like 1

Draft 2018

1.16 LB Leighton Vander  Esch, Boise 

2.11   Edge Marcus Davenport, UTSA 

4.16 G Braden Smith, Auburn 

5.9  WR James Washington, Oklahoma 

6.6 S Armani Watts TAMU 

6.16 CB Anthony Averett Alabama 

Also picked up a 3rd for next year

I have three of the last four biletnikoff winners lol 

10 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

@Ragnarok

Berlin 2018 Team Draft Grade: B+.

The grades haven't changed from the original draft grades I gave out ftr.

1.7 - Tremaine Edmunds - C+ grade.
1.15 - Derrius Guice - C Grade.
2.7 - Rashaan Evans - B+ grade.
4.7 - Kolton Miller - B+ grade.
5.6 - Lorenzo Carter - C+ Grade.
6.7 - Geron Christian - B grade.
7.7 - Da'Shawn Hand - B+ grade.
7.15 - Tarvarius Moore - B grade.

RFA Stuff: 5th for Marcus Golden: Meh Golden's cheap and a decent flyer for a 5th rounder, like the move and he gives decent depth behind a pair of somewhat unreliable starters. B grade.

BDL Draft Trades:

Berlin trades

Seoul trades

Meh the trade up for Guice is solid value but you could've waited on him until the 3rd IMO, still I get the pick given your lack of weapons on offense in general. 

Overall Berlin's goals were to come out out of this draft with a rebuilt LB corps, a starter at RB and some o-line depth. They accomplished all of that with some good if a bit questionable picks, especially the reaching for a RB part but still I'd say that's worthy of a B+. Still I feel Berlin should've come out of this draft with a QB as insurance for Jameis and a CB. 

Draft grades are what they are.  I think you're a touch low, especially on my last five guys, but that's fine.

RFA - Golden had 12.5 sacks in 2016, so more than a decent flyer.  Also, Houston is about as far from an unreliable starter as you can get.  Lawrence you could say only has one year though.

Trade - Yeah, if I could have waited until the 3rd for Guice, I would have.  Didn't think I could.  

Overall - We hit our main goals, and targeted the guys we loved throughout.  I have a first round CB from last year in Conley I want to see.  And the value for QB wasn't there for us this year as quick as they went.  Board just didn't fall that way.  But if Jameis doesn't get it together this year...then it's time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Ok do me, do me:

1.5 Denzel Ward CB
2.14 Lamar Jackson QB
2.16 Isaiah Wynn OL
3.11 Courtland Sutton WR
3.15 Darius Leonard LB
3.16 Sony Michel RB
4.3 Tyrell Crosby OL
4.12 DeShon Elliott S
5.1 Mason Rudolph QB
5.5 Orlando Brown OL
5.8 Josey Jewell LB
6.14 Harrison Phillips DL

Overall - A solid draft class for Camden. They made 12 picks and seemingly got quality value which is not always easy in BDL. Ward should be a immediate threat to start, while Wynn, Sutton, Michel, and Phillips have reasonable merits to suggest they can have some impact in year one. The other guys are long term projections, which is not a bad thing at all. If any of Jackson, Leonard, Elliot, Rudolph, Jewel, and Brown become legitimate starters, I find it likely that Camden will have many contributors coming from this group.

Grade: B+

1.5 - Ward: High upside player. Comes from a quality line of CBs. His speed on tape should translate to the NFL. His slight lack of size is made up by speed and has enough strength to make up for his short arms. I think he's the top defensive player in the draft because his tape translates to the next level. Very competitive player.

2.14 - Jackson: This is an interesting pick. On one hand Lamar Jackson's speed is legitimate. His read option plays should be able to generate yards from the moment he takes a snap.There's some critique about his accuracy but he can drop some dimes on tape. He will need talent around him, but he should generate immediate value by his dual threat ability. 

2.16 - Wynn: Did not watch enough to critically analyze. Solid arm length and good versatility traditionally get players on the field. 

3.11 - Sutton: He is a really intriguing prospect. I thought he won against shorter CBs, but his frame suggests that will continue in the pros. I thought he ran smooth routes on tape and he is physical when the ball is in the air. He's the safest prospect of this receiver group because the ability to win contested situations is a safe indicator of a receivers ability to play at the next level. He also had a solid combine making him one of the more intriguing athletes in addition to his good film. Second highest receiver on my board.

3.15 - Leonard: He is a very productive player making the switch to the NFL. Coming from a small school, I would have liked to see a faster 40. He's well built and looks the part. The rave reviews from his senior bowl performance suggest he can hang with the talent amongst this draft class. If there's a transition period to establishing his game, it should surprise no one. However, he's got enough some physical traits and production on tape to become a legitimate contributor.

3.16 - Michel: He's an explosive runner who can contribute with the spread offense looks. His main ability is a strong point, but I look forward to his development. His body type suggests he can be a good receiver though his production was not the same in college. Provided he can alleviate these concerns and give an increase in production as a receiver, he should become a change of pace guy with starter ability. Some fumble problems.

4.3 - Crosby: He's more of ZBS type of player in terms of HWS. Long arms should assist in his potentially slower feet of traditional LTs. In terms of transition periods, he is a guy that may need some time in the pros before making an impact. 

4.12 - Elliot: His tape was pretty good during his final season at Texas. Two INTs against Sam Darnold when they played including one that was returned for a TD. He's not explosive or fast for a NFL player but his speed is more than enough to play at this level. Strongest asset will likely be in two man under schemes. He can become a legitimate starter if he adds run defense into his skill set.

5.1 - Rudolph: There's some boom bust potential with this pick. I think there are 5 QBs with starter upside so the others guys are projected by their ability to play over a longer period of time. Rudolph comes with a productive pedigree but faces some of the things Lamar Jackson has to deal with in terms of playing under center. He is not going win games because of dual threat ability so making reads and awareness in a NFL pocket is not an easy projection. Over time he has a chance which is enough for reality.

5.5 Brown: He lost some good money with his combine performance. We know that is not the real him. The other positive is he has starter experience and NFL bloodlines. There's some more boom bust in this selection but Brown has physical talent going for him if he finds the right coaching staff to develop.

5.8 - Jewell: Very productive college player. He is a quality contributor against the pass and has multiple interceptions on film where he reads the QB and gets to the ball. His run defense and athleticism are the key points in his projection to the next level. 

6.14 - Phillips: He's an interesting projection but fits my type of tackle. His production would not be ideal in the NFL but his ability should free his teammates. Very strong at the POA, and his combine testing suggests he will be able to latch onto a roster. His health will determine whether he's able to become a legitimate contributor. Very good fit as 3-4 DE. He has a chance to play 4-3 NT but would be slightly underweight for a traditional NT.

Edited by MD4L
Grammar, minor revision
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Draft 2018

1.16 LB Leighton Vander  Esch, Boise 

2.11   Edge Marcus Davenport, UTSA 

4.16 G Braden Smith, Auburn 

5.9  WR James Washington, Oklahoma 

6.6 S Armani Watts TAMU 

6.16 CB Anthony Averett Alabama 

Also picked up a 3rd for next year

I have three of the last four biletnikoff winners lol 

Overall: This was a moderate balance of upside and production for Rome. As the defending champions with only 6 selections, they missed a chance to (pay) select high end talent. This was a conflicting draft to grade. Because the lack of high end talent, Rome probably won't count on any of these guys being significant week 1 contributors. By the end of the year, if any of these six become contributors, I wouldn't be surprised at all, particularly Vander Esch and Washington. Over time, the early picks have the potential to become high end contributors,  so the key may simply be trust the process.

Grade: C+

1.16: Vander Esch: High upside player. He was only behind Matthew Thomas in the vertical jump despite being nearly 25 pound heavier. He was amongest the highest ILB broad jump, essentially confirming his athletic ability. He's fast enough to play 3-4 ILB which is using him to the best of his body type. If he's playing in a 4-3, you're asking him to rely on his instincts more and put that 256 pound body to make plays off the ball. It's a risky strategy but he's got production making plays in coverage. In any event he's a winner of the off season process. His NFL career will likely hinge on his ability to make plays in subpackages and general ability to hold up in coverage. The run defense, block shedding, and versatility as a 4-3 SAM are all pluses that he should be able to provide from day 1.

2.11: Davenport: His body type is not the hardest to find early in the draft. The production (18.5 TFL) and pass rush upside are the traits which make him intriguing. He's got a real floor for someone of his size but the upside generally leads to getting picked earlier than his production suggests. Needing to step up from a lower level program is also a concern so in that way his chance to play in the senior bowl gave exposure to the perception that he is raw. I have plenty of critiques but it's very obvious watching him that even 3/4s of his potential reached will make this a solid pick. 

4.16: Smith: Very good size for a OL. He's a well accomplished player and has plenty of starting experience. His short arms could be an issue so his 35 bench reps complement that nicely. His athleticism is about average which is another plus considering his starting experience. The key for him at the next level is a quality coaching staff placing him in the right position and how quickly he can positively contribute on the field.

5.9:  Washington: Like Smith, this player has a decorated resume of accomplishments. He ran a go route on Isaiah Oliver in their bowl game last year and got the best of the long arm defender to score a TD. I don't know about his long term upside but his college production suggest he has a safe flooor. Additionally tested out well at the combine. I compare him to Zay Jones in terms of production. His tape and combine show he could earn playing time quickly. For me his early career is defined by how much playing time he earns and whether he can expand that role into something immediate like Cooper Kupp. His ability to track the ball should translate easily to the next level.

6.6 - Watts: There's one immediate deficiency for Watts and that is his speed. Nonetheless it's not the sole indicator of whether he can become a factor in the NFL. His production in college was the type of things that turn guys into rotational players at the very least. He won't be asked to play center field so if he can translate his instincts to complement his average athletic ability, he can become a starter.

6.16: Averrett: He's a guy I had ranked on the BB. The speed to play at the boundary is key for guys just to make it at the next level. Guys like Averrett will likely have to earn his living in the slot. His athleticism otherwise was about average but the tape was very good, especially in terms of simply not allowing catches, another key trait for guys whom have to play away from the boundary. Lack of INTs may be an issue if he intends to ascend into the top tier slot CBs at the next level. That will be a challenge.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

1.6 Sam Darnold

1.12 Josh Allen

1.14 Josh Jackson

4.13 Equanimeous St. Brown

Overall: This team didn't get a chance to fix needs since they drafted two QBs and only owned 4 picks in total. The other players were at positions which needed depth but the starters were already strong. This draft will earn an A only if Darnold AND Allen become franchise QBs. Granted there is enough talent and ability between the two that if one succeeds and the other guys contribute they'll help to a championship, but that's because the team was already talented. It's pretty clear this team is trying to use the draft to real value in a few years. The talent they added is legitimate so they didn't lose this draft by any means. 

Grade: B

1.6: Darnold: One of the potential abundant franchise QBs in this class. I like Darnold's skill set, and he showed well on many occasions. His TD completion against Isaiah Oliver was one of the terrific throws that he is capable of making. Ability to throw on the run is also a strength. There's skepticism for every franchise level QB. His turnover issues are translatable to the next level and has some reminders of Jameis Winston. I thought his performance against OSU was a Jay Cutler esque performance. He was my number two rated QB and has a safer floor than the top option on my BB. His best football is likely ahead of him. The other question is how much better can he get. The NFL quality throws are already attached to his skill set. Decision making and whether he's the type who elevates everyone around him are the things that will separate him from being a franchise QB or a solid starter. 

1.12: Allen: Of all the boom bust prospects, this was my favorite guy. Allen was my number one QB. It's easy to see why when you're watching him display his physical talents. I think as a NFL offensive coordinator there is not much more you'd want if you draw the image of a QB. I was legitimately concerned about his accuracy, and before the Senior Bowl I thought it was about even with a slight edge to Darnold. After Allen held his own at the Senior Bowl, he proceeded to show off at the combine where Darnold again did not participate. He's got dual threat ability that may come in handy early in his career if his accuracy is still shoddy. If he becomes a bust, I would be legitimately surprised and that dual threat ability should give him extra time to develop the more natural traits QBs need to have for lengthy careers.

1.14: Jackson: Jackson had a really strong season. The interceptions were highlight reel plays that show his upside. If he is mostly used as a cover 3 guy, his contributions may be significant and quickly. Otherwise, I question his man coverage ability and willingness to impact the running game. His combination of play making and short area speed are positive assets for long term upside. The other issues may stop him from being one of the all around top CBs, but that won't be a major issue if his strengths translate immediately to the NFL.

4.13: St. Brown: His tape was one of reasons I thought the receiver class was being disrespected. He flashed with some impressive plays (watch his catch and run TD v Stanford in 2017, 2016 Texas highlights) and you see someone who should at the very least be a 4th receiver who comes in and is better than the opposing defense 4th CB. I think his upside is a starting receiver but his floor is athletic concerns that aren't answered without combine performances. His tape  and what he did contribute at the combine (sub 4.5 40 & 20 bench reps w 33 inch arms) suggests his untapped talent is enough for long term upside.

• Like 2

That's very fair.

My goal in the draft was to grab a QB of the future and take the BPA. If i'd known players such as Hubbard, Miller and Bryan had fallen I may not have been aggressive. 

The two QBs are controversial but they have the highest upside along with Rosen imo and 5 years of cost-controlled QB play is huge competitive advantage.

• Like 1

Side note: Allen was my top QB for BDL mainly because Watson and Cousins combine for quality floors. Of all the QBs, Allen and Darnold had the highest ceilings.  I'll reserve opinions on Rosen and Mayfield for another time.