BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

23 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Just curious, why are you opposed to keeping the value of the BDL contract?

Because by simply lowering contract values over and over all it does is make it easier for bad management. 

1 minute ago, Jlash said:
25 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Just curious, why are you opposed to keeping the value of the BDL contract?

Because by simply lowering contract values over and over all it does is make it easier for bad management. 

I guess I'm being a glass half full guy. I think that an owner should be rewarded for drafting or signing a player at a good rate. I think that allowing an owner one more "cheap year" before jumping the contract to the 3Up value instead of throwing away that cheap year should be that reward. It also incentivizes a manager to sign players a earlier than they need to for a longer term benefit.

It's also too much variance between BDL contracts. Some of the FA deals are super cheap so it's nor "Fair" across the board to include the BDL year in the equation and then get another discount on top of that. Like I mentioned to you I can see something simpler like 75% 3 Ups to alleviate some of the cap issues involved with a 3 Up.

Edited by SirA1

I'll go back to my Hayward example. I currently have him under contract for 6500/1. He just signed a 3 year extension that starts next season. To 3Up him this year I would need to pay him at his extension rate this year even though his extension doesn't kick in until next year.

AKA $33250 * 0.85/3= $9,421 over 4 years. He's not even making that IRL this year as he's still on his previous contract with a $6,833 year before the new money kicks in.

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

It's also too much variance between BDL contracts. Some of the FA deals are super cheap so it's nor "Fair" across the board to include the BDL year in the equation and then get another discount on top of that. Like I mentioned to you I can see something simpler like 75% 3 Ups to alleviate some of the cap issues involved with a 3 Up.

Like we discussed previously I think that a simpler answer could be had I'm just trying to point out a place where the BDL contract is trumping the IRL contract.

Again, even if someone gets a STEAL in FA I think they should be rewarded for that instead of punished for keeping a guy they signed/drafted under contract.

18 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Like we discussed previously I think that a simpler answer could be had I'm just trying to point out a place where the BDL contract is trumping the IRL contract.

Again, even if someone gets a STEAL in FA I think they should be rewarded for that instead of punished for keeping a guy they signed/drafted under contract.

the issue you run into with this is say someone has a guy signed from fa for 3 more years, he signs a five year irl deal.  Now owner wants to sign said player to five years but wants to use his much lower bdl contract for three of them.  It just starts a slippery slope too many will take advantage of

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Counselor said:

Grade my experiment 

2018 Draft

1.10- Vita Vea DT

3.4- Taven Bryan DL

4.5- Sam Hubbard DE

5.14- Rasheem Green DL

5.16- Uchenna Nwosu LB

7.2- Shaquem Griffin LB

Overall: This was a defensive based draft class. If you liked the depth of edge rushing talent, this Long Beach's draft definetly excites viewers. The one immediate asset I see is Vea's run defense. If he's got pass rush ability that translates immediately he's a three down player. Otherwise Bryan's athletic ability to become a situational player is a sneaky boost if he can make plays immediately. The other guys are worthwhile developmental prospects. Green could become a much stronger contributor in year 2. I think Griffin will become a player as well so this class should help Counselor pass rush. Still, this won't be an A because the lack of immediate contributors (1 top 32 choice means it's not his fault) and the fact that LB did not address any other position than its front 7.

Grade: B

1.10: Vea: Looks the part for a NT. He's got scheme versatility and immediately improves a defense against the run. His concerns are whether his massive size can become a three down player and the ability become a forceful pass rusher (particularly in a 4-3). The fact he ran a 5.1 40 and shows some explosive traits suggest he's got a safe floor. 

3.4: Bryan: Its quite obvious about the upside with Bryan. He's one of the athletic freaks in this draft class. The production was not there so his projection says he will be a better pro than college player. His body type is harder to project a spot in base packages. Ideally he would fit as a 3-4 DE, but he should make his money inside on 4-2-5 packages which are essentially base packages in today's game. Literally the greatest roadblock will be the ability to develop the athletic skill set into production at the next level. Harder said than done, but fully capable.

4.5: Hubbard: This is an interesting choice. On one hand, Hubbard is not a high level athlete for a regular edge rusher. Otherwise, he's not a pedestrian athlete either. He showed well in the three cone and had a 35 inch vert suggesting he's got NFL caliber explosion and good change of direction skills. The lack of elite speed could be an issue off the edge but he's got good production and was a 4 year player at a high level institute. His ceiling is limited if he can't utilize the athleticism with his pass rush moves still developing. He should at the very least push for playing time where he can contribute against the run early in his career. Great value pick.

5.14: Green: He's a guy I did not do much scouting on. When you look at his production, that's a plus. He's not 21 years old yet so his untapped upside also projects as a plus for the NFL. Similar to Hubbard, this pick will likely reap value when the NFL draft comes around. He needs to improve short area quickness but there are plenty of things to like about his game. May need some additional refinement before contributing in a full time position. He should continue being a subpackage interior rusher but his ability to develop into that edge rusher on 4 man fronts will determine whether he is a 3 down player. 

6.14: Nwosu: He looks the part of 3-4 OLB. Late bloomer in terms of production (9.5 of his 12 career sacks came this last season) and he has missed a year of football. What he shows on tape is a versatile edge presence with positive traits in pursuit and speed off the edge. If he becomes what his potential suggests, it'll likely be as an edge rusher in a 3-4. Seems like a developmental selection.

7.2: Griffin: Something like an inspiration, Griffin has sold me on becoming a NFL caliber player. His next step is finding a position where the skill set adequately matches his talent. Immediately offers special team value, and plus upside for situational pass rush. If he can learn and develop the coverage necessary in the middle of the field and check downs, I think he has a legitimate chance to become a starter. Versatile prospect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, Jlash said:

Normal cut (all year long) : Any player can be cut at any time, but the owner will pay the salary of the player for the remaining time left on the contract 

....does anyone actually ever do this?

If a player isn't performing or the team is struggling and we feel that said player is contributing to a poor locker room mentality, you better believe we'll cut that player. Send a message to the other guys.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

If a player isn't performing or the team is struggling and we feel that said player is contributing to a poor locker room mentality, you better believe we'll cut that player. Send a message to the other guys.

What message are you sending by keeping a cripple at QB  with your highest salary?

28 minutes ago, Jlash said:
29 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

What message are you sending by keeping a cripple at QB  with your highest salary?

We reward hype and being overrated by other voters, thus giving us a competitive advantage IF the cripple can return to play.

#JustWinBaby

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

We reward hype and being overrated by other voters, thus giving us a competitive advantage IF the cripple can return to play.

#JustWinBaby

So that message is the QB's are special even as dead weight. and the rest of the players better be on their best behavior. The Ivory Coast players feelings are hurt for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

So that message is the QB's are special even as dead weight. and the rest of the players better be on their best behavior. The Ivory Coast players feelings are hurt for sure.

They're worried they are gonna go the same way as the Black Rhino.  Critically Endangered.

• Like 2