BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

What is this year's FA order going to be?

This was 2017.

- The 2017 FA Schedule (on a rotating basis)

1. DB/DL/LB - Defense Week
2. RB/TE/WR - Skill Players Week

3. OL/QB - The Essentials Week

So 2018 would be 

1. RB/TE/WR - Skill Players Week

2. OL/QB - The Essentials Week

3. BD/DL/LB - Defense Week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MD4L said:

Overall: As someone who has had to wait for my first pick in the 4th round you miss a lot of talent. Grade: B+

4.14: Bates: He's one of the underlooked players in this draft. Good pick.

Was please to get him as I think he's anywhere from late 1st to early second value. 24th player on the big board.

5.13: Meeks: He's a guy that is going to be evaluated drastically different depending on whom you ask. 

Here's the Article that sold me on him.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/tuls-quenton-meeks-belongs-first-tier-2018-cb-prospects/

6.3: Rankin: Was ranked on my BB. 

Basically I'm hoping for a year 2 starter. Where it's still at OT or inside didn't matter to me.

6.11: Ejifor: Similar to Bates, I like Ejifor game. 

I went with someone who I think can play all 3 downs and is scheme versatile.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/solak-5-red-star-prospects-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

6.12: Dawson:  Shouldn't surprise anyone if he is Singapore's top contributor in year one.

Dawson is one of my Nickel CB favorites in this draft and he and Desmond King should be able to equally contribute in case of injury. That he completed my Dukes of Hazzard moment was icing.

7.3: Walton: His floor is solid if he continues to produce at receiver and maintain his NFL caliber ball security. 

Obviously love Walton. Gives me that Kamara component to my backfield. Daniel Jeremiah thinks he could be a top 50 pick.

7.11: Avery:  Production similar to Avery is difficult to find at all points of the draft. 

This has the potential to be my lowest RL draft pick depending on how teams view him. Gives me a bigger LB than my current crew and his comp is Haason Reddick. Needs a defined position.

7.12: Hamilton: Another 4 years starter, this pick is a productive player who tested very well in terms of acceleration and agility. 

I love him a my next big WR in the Slot. He got separation on 77% of his routes last season and that was tops by a wide margin.

As always. I think I got some excellent backups this year. If I can get half of what I got from the 2017 class I would consider it a success.

Also 8 Draft picks is a BDL low for me in 7 drafts. But all came in at a total of $3,990 so that's a plus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

As always. I think I got some excellent backups this year. If I can get half of what I got from the 2017 class I would consider it a success.

Also 8 Draft picks is a BDL low for me in 7 drafts. But all came in at a total of $3,990 so that's a plus.

I love Jessie Bates as a pure center fielder.  He was someone we discussed quite a bit for our safety BB.  Definitely my favorite pick of yours.

But Tarvarius Moore late was our main plan.  Dude is a stud.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I love Jessie Bates as a pure center fielder.  He was someone we discussed quite a bit for our safety BB.  Definitely my favorite pick of yours.

But Tarvarius Moore late was our main plan.  Dude is a stud.

I considered Moore as well in the late 6th/7th. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, Ragnarok said:

I just realized you never did me.

Draft Picks 2018 
1.7 - Tremaine Edmunds
1.15 - Derrius Guice
2.7 - Rashaan Evans
4.7 - Kolton Miller
5.6 - Lorenzo Carter
6.7 - Geron Christian
7.7 - Da'Shawn Hand
7.15 - Tarvarius Moore

And gave up 5.7 for Markus Golden in RFA.

Overall: Berlin had a very interesting draft in this analysis opinion. Edmunds was a great pick. Guice and Evans can be considered slight reaches but have solid floors and good pedigrees. It would be a greater surprise if either guy was a poor NFL player rather than otherwise. After that? They may have drafted three first rounders in the final 4 rounds. Edmunds and Guice are the only two I expect positive contributions from immediately, but up to five eventual starters on this class is not impossible. In addition those value picks Berlin had with later picks was so impressive, the earlier picks aren't going to be scrutinized. Talent level aside, the value here will be as good as any comparison once the draft is done in reality.

Grade: A+

1.7: Edmunds: He's the youngest player in this draft class. Nonetheless he was productive in Virginia Tech for three years. Looks much more like an edge player but he comes with ability to drop into coverage. I had him ranked over Roquon because he's got greater upside in that area. Against the run he's fully capable of going sideline to sideline while being a productive player behind the LOS. He's able to rush the passer from the ILB position which is a note to his versatility. Legitimately strong and fast by most measurables this guy has a very safe floor. His NFL bloodlines aren't unnoticed as it helps that he should be a student of the game. High ceiling. Great selection.

1.15: Guice: When a RB goes first overall, it's quite clear positional value is different in BDL from reality. Berlin traded up for this player and he fits a rotational profile with upside to become a starter as early as this season. Guice comes from a quality line of recent RBs in LSU. I do somewhat question his upside. There's some minor injury history questions here and he isn't a body builder for the position. He can do a lot of things very well and arguably the most important trait for a RB (vision) is not something the combine can accurately evaluate. Thus with his tape, he's likely a first round player. The NFL has also showed him love recently so the talent is there. I'm skeptical about his ceiling because he very rarely had to carry the entire load. Doing so in a few games he showed well so there is a sample size of production already. If he can prove to become a 3 down player and maintain high level production at all aspects (catch, run, pass pro) this will become a quality choice.

2.7: Evans: This is another interesting selection. We know Evans comes from an excellent pedigree of LBs. He's got above average short area speed but that's about it in terms of athleticism. On the field he's a versatile asset with pass rush experience in addition to the 3-4 ILB position he may eventually take in the NFL.  He's going to need some refinement and additional reps during NFL games because one real season as a starter. His upside will depend on his actual speed (no 40) and whether he can become an above average pass defender. Run defense is a slightly lesser concern.

4.7: Miller: Excellent value selection. Miller ripped apart the combine and set a record in the broad jump. His 40 was excellent, as was the 20 yard shuttle. At 6'9 with 34 inch arms if the draft was solely based on athletic talent, Miller would challenge for the top pick. On the field he's not the same player that looks like an all world athlete. He should be a much better pro than college player and the actual spot he gets picked should be much higher than 55th overall.

5.6: Carter: In this writers opinion, this should be one of the incredible value picks of the draft. I had Carter ranked around my top 20 for most of the draft process. He's long, fast, and versatile. The major issue in his projection is the position. Do you place him inside at LB? He's got some production playing off ball, and should be a strong run stuffer regardless of where he lines up. Berlin has made it clear that is where they would like him to play. In my notes however, he's a pass rusher. That's a bit more of a projection as he doesn't have dominant pass rushing numbers leaving college. His upside as a pass rusher should be legit with the right coaching staff. 

6.7: Christian: Battle tested with 39 consecutive starts to end his Louisville career, Christian is going to be an interesting projection to the NFL. He had 19 bench reps (Christian Kirk had 20 for comparison) but his 35 inch arms give him a slight excuse. In terms of athletic testing we did not see enough of Christian to get exact numbers. Thus his evaluation will be based primarily on game tape.

7.7: Hand: Lets begin with his negatives. What position does Hand play at the next level? Additionally he's got an arrest and may be best suited for a subpackage role. Considering how much of the game is now played with 5 DBs the latter shouldn't be much of an issue. That being said, I really like Hand. If he was taken somewhere in the top 32, the skepticism about his position would be a concern. His talent level would absolutely not be. Berlin may have some issues getting him into a starting spot early but this pick is the type that we look back on and question what exactly were owners thinking to let him fall so far. Massive value choice here. Exceptional strength for his size.

7.15: Moore: I got a chance to watch Moore in action during a bowl game. Despite not having the best season, FSU steamrolled and made a team that has some prospects (Ito Smith and Korey Robertson) look completely outmatched. It's a good thing that performance was seemingly an abberation for those quality prospects. Moore procceded to tear up his pro day with excellent numbers in the 40, vert, and broad jump. He'll take a huge step up in terms of competition level so a redshirt year may be needed before he can utilize his NFL caliber athleticism into a legitimate role.

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 4

Thanks @MD4L

Gopher and I were really happy with our draft overall.  We might have reached a bit early for a couple guys we loved, but after Rashaan(I think he will be a great MLB as I think he can go sideline-to-sideline based on game tape), we went BPA with additional weight to certain positions.  

And honestly, we aren't exactly sure about Lorenzo's position.  I think he could be a very, very good off-ball OLB as in a better Barr.  Maybe he does end up on the edge where he could also be very, very good.  Either way, that was BPA.  Gopher was actually the one who was pounding the table for him, so he gets the credit for Lorenzo.  

But if Lorenzo goes off-ball...two 6'5" elite athletes like Lorenzo and Tremaine at OLB with an athletic bruiser like Rashaan at MLB is one hell of an physically impressive LB corps.  

And if there is one truth about Berlin,  we love athletes.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2018 at 9:19 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Ok....lets hear how my first BDL draft went

1.1 - Saquon Barkley, RB, PSU
1.11 - Roquon Smith, LB, UGA
1.13 - Harold Landry, EDGE, BC
3.10 - Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
3.14 - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
4.2 - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
6.1 - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
7.4 - BJ Hill, DT, NC State

Also big props to Taylor for helping out the whole way, unfortunately we didn't get some of the guys he liked (Shepherd, Chubb)

Overall: Hockey with a worthwhile introduction. We've seen teams bounce back with strong seasons but this team should be the strongest bounce back group since Orlando got competitive a couple seasons ago. I didn't like some of the values but I'm not doubting Roquan and Landry as prospects. Hughes is a bit more hit miss but I like Kirk's floor. If BJ Hill ends up being a top three prospect from this class it shouldn't surprise people. That type of variety earns another passing grade.

Grade: A

1.1: Barkley: The most compete player in the draft. He's a four down player who is built like a power back. His finesse ability is quite intriguing. Excellent receiver and was even a dominant returner. The issues with him are hard to identify. All the physical traits to be a high impact player from his first snap.

1.11: Smith: Best 4-3 MLB prospect in this draft. Slight concern about his frame (Deion Jones may have one flaw and it's the same issue), but he makes up for it with receiver lite speed. Gets to the ball and makes an impact regularly. Some extreme upside in coverage as he ends up in unique situations making plays on tape. He can play Tampa 2 with the best of them but in the modern NFL he is a near picture perfect description of what a WLB looks like (Wagner/Kuchely are MLBs). Extremely high ceiling, his floor is somewhat moderate. Maybe he has issues block shedding in a 3-4. Should be in highly competitive battle for week one starting spot.

1.13: Landry: Another high upside player. The analytics people love him and he's a fantastic athlete for his size. Pass rush moves galore and the ability to bend the shoulder to turn the corner on the regular. Scheme friendly with positional versatility in a 4-3. Subpackage edge, and prototype 3rd down pass rusher. His only legit flaw could be taking on blocks, but those can be refined with technique from coaching and effort. His past season made him somewhat of a value choice. He's a high ceiling player with a moderate floor. 

3.10: Hughes: Another sexy selection. Hughes actually deserved to be picked around this area in my opinion. He's got a above average ceiling but there may be a necessary refinement period. Even in the AAC, he faced better competition that it seems on the surface. Elite short area quickness.

3.14: Kirk: I was a huge fan of his game before the scouting combine. Some other guys eventually overtook him on my board but again this receiver class is pretty good. His value was better than Hughes and I think he's one of the high floor guys. In that same sense, I question his ceiling. Make no mistake about it though, in the right offense with an above average QB he will be someone to reckon with. With an elite passer, I think his floor is still good enough to get him on the field year one. Progression to running more routes and getting uncovered vs number ones are his challenges if he eventually becomes a top flight number one receiver. 

4.12: Goedert: He's got a translatable skill set but faces justified questions about an increased level of competition. Not necessarily expected to be a day one contributor he's got good value for a developmental prospect. Returns on investment may come earlier than expected. 

6.1: Okorafor: He's got good production and experience playing both tackle positions. The level of competition could improve but he was part of an extremely successful run at Western Michigan.

7.4: Hill: Following the theme of quality athletes, Hill fits the part. He had an incredible combine and cemented himself as a day two prospect. I compare him to Randy Starks who was a solid player for nearly a decade. Strong 40 time. 

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 3