BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Been busy with work and life, but I'm looking forward to trying some draft grades next year myself. Though I might not do it, cuz it'll quickly become evident I have no idea what I'm talking about and my draft process amounts to little more than printing off Yahoo's draft board and arranging it alphabetically.

Just picture Pheltz naked....you'll do fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Considering the status of Lukic's team, I'm having issues approving deals where he gets rid of even more players.

I offered him a deal where he got a player in return, but he's got a plan of his own. With the cap space to accomplish it.

24 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Considering the status of Lukic's team, I'm having issues approving deals where he gets rid of even more players.

its hard for me to envision a team with Brady at the end soon tanking

20 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Not that I have any skin in the game but it does feel a little "tank-y". Pre-Turner trade hes sitting with holes at starting S, Starting OG (soon to be 2 OGs), and two base starting LBs.

That's 5 starting spots that he doesn't even have a body to put in a hole nonetheless a quality player and any depth at MANY positions. Even with almost 60k in cap space he's very much flirting with the edge of being able to actually field a team. Compound that with the double up on first round QBs and a very movable Brady it does feel like we're watching a tank job unfold.

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

That's what makes it feel MORE like a tank to me. Brady will be moved to the highest bidder at the deadline with Allen and Darnold in tow.

what's he tanking for though if he already picked up two rookie qb's

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

That's what makes it feel MORE like a tank to me. Brady will be moved to the highest bidder at the deadline with Allen and Darnold in tow.

Brady is locked for the year bruh.

11 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

what's he tanking for though if he already picked up two rookie qb's

Better draft picks, who doesn't want a Nelson or a Saquon type of player to partner with a young qb.

10 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Brady is locked for the year bruh.

That damn locked player thing always gets me :S

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 11:29 AM, Hockey5djh said:

I'll go back to my Hayward example. I currently have him under contract for 6500/1. He just signed a 3 year extension that starts next season. To 3Up him this year I would need to pay him at his extension rate this year even though his extension doesn't kick in until next year.

AKA $33250 * 0.85/3= $9,421 over 4 years. He's not even making that IRL this year as he's still on his previous contract with a $6,833 year before the new money kicks in.

I've been wanting to touch base on this but work was busy this week so just getting to it now. What Bcb, JLash and I are against is double dipping on discounts. It goes back a few years when one of the previous owners PSU wanted to try and include part of a players RFA deal into the 3 up equation. Which is why we don't do that anymore.

So we defaulted to the Avg salary on Spotrac for basing deals off of (casting aside Roto that was wildly inaccurate sometimes). So if you are wanting to use a 3 Up to get the contract discount this is just the cost you pay. The number you are trying to reach above $9,421/4 years through a 3 Up is just the wrong way to go about it by adding a cheap year and the 3 Up discount.

What we have been fine with in the past is 100% deals as long as players get all the new money and current BDL money. So in this case for Hayward it would be $6,500 + $33,250 = $39,750/4 years = $9,938/yr. That's just a little over $500 off the number you were seeking and doesn't cross the double discount threshold. I'd be ok with this. 

I'll let @Jlash @Ragnarok @bcb1213 @MD4L give their thoughts on the matter though.

No system is ever going to be perfect since we are dealing with different NFL teams crafting individual deals to suit their needs and not ours.