BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

I think SirA hit the nail on the head.  I mean, our 85% system is a bit unrealistic as is because so few players even take a hometown discount.  So doubling up on that discount is even more unrealistic.  

But the most important point is the last one.  This will never be perfect.  None of us has that kind of time.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Ragnarok said:

Here's my favorite pick for each team, an honorable mention for favorite pick, and least favorite.

Orlando - 
    Best - Frank Ragnow - I love Ragnow as a prospect and likely would have taken him for depth if we hadn’t moved for Guice.  Stud in the run game who never gave up a sack.  
    Hon. Mention - Austin Corbett - Another guy we liked, he should go higher in the RL draft  and can play multiple positions.
    Worst - Josh Sweat - Even if you love him, this is a huge reach as no one else was going to take him for at least another round.

Thanks for putting these together.

My thought process with the Sweat pick, if you care: He had been mocked as high as 3.7 leading up to the draft, and Cuba had two picks between my next one as well as a big need at pass rusher. Sweat was the 13th overall player on my board, so the value was fine for me, and I didn't want to let him slip away.

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I've been wanting to touch base on this but work was busy this week so just getting to it now. What Bcb, JLash and I are against is double dipping on discounts. It goes back a few years when one of the previous owners PSU wanted to try and include part of a players RFA deal into the 3 up equation. Which is why we don't do that anymore.

So we defaulted to the Avg salary on Spotrac for basing deals off of (casting aside Roto that was wildly inaccurate sometimes). So if you are wanting to use a 3 Up to get the contract discount this is just the cost you pay. The number you are trying to reach above $9,421/4 years through a 3 Up is just the wrong way to go about it by adding a cheap year and the 3 Up discount.

What we have been fine with in the past is 100% deals as long as players get all the new money and current BDL money. So in this case for Hayward it would be $6,500 + $33,250 = $39,750/4 years = $9,938/yr. That's just a little over $500 off the number you were seeking and doesn't cross the double discount threshold. I'd be ok with this. 

I'll let @Jlash @Ragnarok @bcb1213 @MD4L give their thoughts on the matter though.

No system is ever going to be perfect since we are dealing with different NFL teams crafting individual deals to suit their needs and not ours. 

Not a problem, I'm just trying to open up the discussion. I think while you guys are more focused on the "double discount" in my example my focus in that example was the extra ~3k "penalty"  that I would have to pay this season by signing him early. As an Eagles fan I remember when we used to sign younger players to long term deals very early in their careers in an attempt to lock them up before they become super expensive, sometimes it paid off and you had a good young player at a discount, other times it ended up being an overpayment if it didn't work out.  While I understand my example is not 100% the same I do think that there should be some sort of benefit to identifying a talented player and signing him early before you have to.

In my Hayward example there is no incentive for me to pay the extra 3k this year instead of just waiting a year, enjoying his $6500 contract this season and just 3uping him next year at the $9421 number.

Also while I understand the 85% is viewed as a discount, to me it's more of a necessity out of realism. We're basing the BDL on the NFL salary cap and NFL contracts but we have half of the amount of teams.

The NFL salary cap features the top 51 players of each team (32 teams) for a total of 1632

The BDL salary cap features all 70 roster spots for 16 teams for a total of 1120 or about 32% less.

That said there are things that play into keeping the numbers similar such as low FA salaries and the ability of teams to carry less than 70 players.

34 minutes ago, SkunkApes said:

Thanks for putting these together.

My thought process with the Sweat pick, if you care: He had been mocked as high as 3.7 leading up to the draft, and Cuba had two picks between my next one as well as a big need at pass rusher. Sweat was the 13th overall player on my board, so the value was fine for me, and I didn't want to let him slip away.

That's fair.  And we all have different value for different guys.  But the Cuba point is an excellent one, he would add every FSU guy if we let him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I literally own none of my 2019 picks lol. I have no incentive to lose, in fact draft wise I have incentive to out perform all the teams whose picks I own.

Still you have to admit it looks sketchy you're trading away most of your good to great starters for draft picks. I was shocked when you had Dupree for such a low price. 

Especially considering you had a top 3 team last year IMO. 

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

I literally own none of my 2019 picks lol. I have no incentive to lose, in fact draft wise I have incentive to out perform all the teams whose picks I own.

Fair, but I wouldn't be doing my job on the trade council if I didn't at least address the issue.

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Fair, but I wouldn't be doing my job on the trade council if I didn't at least address the issue.

Yeah 100%. I've no issues with anyone questioning it, I'm just saying it's all good don't need to worry about me. 

24 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Still you have to admit it looks sketchy you're trading away most of your good to great starters for draft picks. I was shocked when you had Dupree for such a low price. 

Who?

A declining, 33 year old Eric Weddle?

Bud Dupree with 0 pass rush moves? 

Turner I'll admit is a very good player, but availability is the best ability and I fear injury issues are creeping in for him. Maybe the past two years were unlucky, but i'll take the 4th and 6300 in cap.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Yeah 100%. I've no issues with anyone questioning it, I'm just saying it's all good don't need to worry about me. 

Which is why the deals are being approved.  You get the benefit of the doubt.  

40 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Trust the Process.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Who?

A declining, 33 year old Eric Weddle?

Bud Dupree with 0 pass rush moves? 

Turner I'll admit is a very good player, but availability is the best ability and I fear injury issues are creeping in for him. Maybe the past two years were unlucky, but i'll take the 4th and 6300 in cap.

Fair enough but you're going to have a hard time replacing all of those starters in FA/shark tank.