BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

I know Counselor's trick. It's a lot like what Frogs and others have done. Aaron Rodgers isn't on the block, but what better way than to get people to waste their time and PM you than to make them think he's available!

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

I know Counselor's trick. It's a lot like what Frogs and others have done. Aaron Rodgers isn't on the block, but what better way than to get people to waste their time and PM you than to make them think he's available!

Hahaha. 

The standard Frogs trading experience: 

1. Frogs posts he wants a 6th for a player. 
2. You PM him. 
3. He replies saying he actually wants a 3rd. 
4. You say no thanks. 
5. 3 hours later you open the Contacts & Negotiations thread and see:

"Cuba trades Player X

Portland trades

2019 2nd round pick
2020 4th
2020 6th"

• Like 5

Just now, WFLukic said:

Hahaha. 

The standard Frogs trading experience: 

1. Frogs posts he wants a 6th for a player. 
2. You PM him. 
3. He replies saying he actually wants a 3rd. 
4. You say no thanks. 
5. 3 hours later you open the Contacts & Negotiations thread and see:

"Cuba trades Player X

Portland trades

2019 2nd round pick
2020 4th
2020 6th"

This is 1000% accurate.

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

This is 1000% accurate.

It's better than when we posted the trade, he accepted, we needed to tweak something and he immediately traded said person to someone else when you were offline.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don’t need people to PM me just to pm me. That’s annoying 

Edited by Counselor
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 7:48 AM, TedLavie said:

I may not read it during my vacation but I would love to have your take on my draft @MD4L

Started with 1.15, 4.15, 5.15, 7.6 & 7.8

Ended with

1.2 Bradlley Chubb 

3.7 Justin Reid

4.1 Tim Settle

5.15 Terell Edmuns 

6.5 Kalen Ballange

6.8 Micah Kiser

6.15 Antonio Callaway 

Traded 2019 1st and 3rd 

Traded for Cuba 2019 7th + Jerry Hughes

Overall: When Seoul decided to trade for Bradley Chubb, they decided to finish their  draft with value based picks. Chubb is one of the safe prospects in the draft and should be a consistent contributor for a long time. Even if he starts slow, the tape shows a player whom can change games. High level impact. The other guys are boom/bust type of prospects. I like Ballange while Calloway could be the second best player if he stays on the field. Reid/Settle/Kizer are scheme specific guys but I think Reid's got some versatility to play nickel CB in addition to his safety roles. If any of these guys overachieve Seoul should consider this a sleeper for the best draft class this off-season.

Grade: B

1.2: Chubb: Well rounded prospect. He's developed some pass rush moves that should translate immediately. He is a threat again the run and offers three down ability. All of these positive traits suggest he's got a safe floor. His upside is one of the elite pass rushers. He's a much better athlete but I compare him to Derek Barnett in terms of production. If he was on a lesser talented team he'd be likely to start week 1. I've seen him with strong performances against FSU for two consecutive years.

3.7: Reid: In terms of sheer speed he's a very intriguing player. Tested well at the combine, professional bloodlines is also a good benefit. He's got the potential to play in multiple areas. With a productive final year, you trust his NFL development even if he's not a heavy rookie contributor. Upside is primarily based as SS in a two man under scheme.

4.1: Settle: There are some high ceiling DTs and 3-4 DE guys but very few 3-4 NT available that are value choices in this class. May question his athletic ability but I don't think strength will be an issue. He has nifty footwork and is coming off a strong season. With one season as a starter you're projecting his best football is ahead of him. Development will likely be his biggest test for year one.

5.15: Edmunds: I like Edmunds as an in the box safety. He's got the size of a weak side LB or SS that plays closer to the LOS. Far more athletic than most 220 pounder he's got good speed and capability to play deep in coverage on occasion. A change to LB is possible and that will possibly his primary spot on passing downs. Solid upside, and has the combination of tape + measurables to give him a roster spot as a floor.

6.5: Ballange: HWS prospect. He catches the ball out the backfield well and had two solid years at ASU. Legitimately strong and extremely athletic for a 228, his upside is a three down player. Pass protection and ability to make a living in traditional packages will be his obstacles for a chance to become more than a COP. At his size and receding ability, the combination suggests he will receive opportunities to make multiple teams, his fit will be a bit more important than other prospects. Can contribute immediately if placed with a creative offensive coach. 

6.8: Kizer: Brings four year experience with strong leadership qualities. Final season at UVA was filled with production. Sneaky and capable blitzer from MLB spot. Preferably 4-3 MLB, he's going to be a capable downhill player. Challenges extend into playing in coverage which may not be his strength. Will be the obstacle to become a quality starter. 

6.15: Calloway: Better than multiple players who have been picked ahead of him. Boom bust prospect. If he gets on a team including special teams ability, has the talent to contribute immediately. 

• Like 1

@Whicker

Oklahoma City 

1.3: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA 

2.5: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland 

3.3: James Daniels, C, Iowa

3.8: Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State

4.11: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis 

5.3: Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh 

5.11: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State

6.4: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma

Overall: It's pretty clear what Oklahoma attempted to do with this class. Relentless with their approach, the offense should be filled with depth this year and possible starters down the road. I could've seen this team address CB and add depth across its front seven. Despite this arguably the biggest reason for this teams disappointing 2017 was their lack of stability on offensive line. Credit to Whicker for following up on his promise to improve in the trenches and generally through out the offense. Because they weren't forced to trade up, draft is not simply defined by Rosen. Multiple high floor ceiling/high floor prospects at OL boost grade. 

Overall: B-

1.3: Rosen: Polarizing figure, he's a very interesting guy. The skill set as an in the pocket player is like a traditional QB. Completely different from the current starter Rosen wins with accuracy and quick reads. On multiple evaluations, I saw footwork that can improve, and occasional indecisiveness. Provided Cam Newton is on the roster, Rosen should have necessary refinement period to get adjusted to BDL. Good floor in comparison to the other top level passers. He's with Darnold for arguably the safest top prospect in this draft at QB.

2.5: Moore: I am really curious about his route running. Maryland's offense was at its best when Moore touched the ball near the LOS. Of all the receivers in this draft, Moore is the most dangerous with his hands on the ball. Routinely turned screens into huge gains with running back lite ability to get YAC. Combine testing was above average he needs to improve making plays in the middle of the field. Lofty comparison is Stefon Diggs. I came onto being his fan later in the draft process. Watch his tape v Michigan State if you want to see how he reacts to getting heavy touches beyond bubble and screen routes. 

3.3: Daniels: More of a finesse center. Prototypical size for a ZBS with upside in pass protection. Starter for multiple years and experienced in a pro scheme. Unknown strength with combine testing so the tape is the tell in that area. Also started at guard and extremely agile for his size, he's got traits of a starter. 

3.8: Price: Arguably a loser of the scouting combine, Price's performance had zero to do with athletic ability. Injuries alter perception of players so his tape is the only measuring stick of athletic ability. Adequate arm size, he also looks built for a ZBS scheme. Extremely productive, he's got a safe floor. Possible week 1 starter.

4.11: Miller: Decent combine, and strong pro day. Miller is a productive receiver who has enough athletic ability to become a solid player. He's a bit maxed out compared to other prospects, but is one of the best contested catch receivers in this class. He had a good QB and played against secondaries that used a ton of single coverage. In a good fit he will be a contributor. Strong fit he could be a year one value.

5.3: O'Neill: O'Neill had a strong senior bowl and measured as one of the better athletes in the draft. He's a little undersized but has enough arm length to play OT. He's an incredible athlete for either position. Think of Cedric Oghedbi body type and Aviante Collins type of athleticism. I think he can develop into a starting tackle.

5.11: Gallup: Very developed player at the position. Servicible depth with upside for plus contributions. 

6.4: Andrews: Productive move TE. He's a vertical receiver with decent speed. If he can develop his blocking or get separation from NFL LBs and safeties playing time will be available for guys with his skill set. I had him ranked as a low end 2nd round pick. Good value.

Edited by MD4L
Andrews report
  • Like 1