BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

Also, if I didn't take Jackson I would've taken Mayfield.

I discussed with md4l pre draft my desire to take the top 4 QBs somehow.

If Jackson had slid, we probably would have made a move for him.

I think he has a much better career than Allen or Mayfield.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

You two are talking about different Jackson's. 

4 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Anyone else find it nuts we still have no clue wtf is gonna happen this year in the draft?

I can't buy all this Giants and Barkley hype as well. No team could possibly be that stupid.

Yea the first round should be really really entertaining. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Anyone else find it nuts we still have no clue wtf is gonna happen this year in the draft?

I can't buy all this Giants and Barkley hype as well. No team could possibly be that stupid.

It's all the QBs screwing up all the picks, usually by now the team knows who they're taking bar a ridiculous offer for the no.1 pick but with QBs no one will leak anything. 

Gettleman drafted McCaffrey at 8, I think it's entirely possible he drafts Barkely at 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

An offensive coordinator told NFL Network he doesn't expect Lamar Jackson to make it as a quarterback.

"Will not be able to play quarterback in this league, mark my words," the coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." A quarterbacks coach added that Jackson struggled to "verbalize" his offensive scheme at Louisville. Jackson's accuracy and football IQ have been questioned throughout the pre-draft process, but he's not expected to fall out of the first round.

51 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yea the first round should be really really entertaining. 

If I was any of the teams outside the top 10 I'd just wait for whoever to slide. 5th year options for the top 10 are basically equal to the Franchise tag.

5 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

An offensive coordinator told NFL Network he doesn't expect Lamar Jackson to make it as a quarterback.

"Will not be able to play quarterback in this league, mark my words," the coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." A quarterbacks coach added that Jackson struggled to "verbalize" his offensive scheme at Louisville. Jackson's accuracy and football IQ have been questioned throughout the pre-draft process, but he's not expected to fall out of the first round.

I think if he can sit for a year or two, he will be very good.  But I don't think he can start right away.

14 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Yea I saw this. And yet there's plenty of tape of him going through pro-style progression based reads in the passing game at Louisville. The snippet on Roto was cut up to only show the negatives, here's the full write up from the link:

More and more, it sounds like Jackson will be one of the 32 players drafted in Round 1 on Thursday night -- at his normal position. "Does he end up making the move [to receiver] someday? Maybe he does," an AFC executive said. "But there's enough throwing ability that I think a team is going to draft the guy as a quarterback." Jackson has plenty of arm strength and a quick release. He'll make some incredible passes. But inconsistent accuracy remains a central concern for those who still aren't buying in. "He's an awesome athlete. He will not be able to play (quarterback) in this league, mark my words," an offensive coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." As another OC pointed out, the challenge for whatever team lands Jackson will be striking the right balance for a rare runner whose 6-2, 200-pound frame isn't one you want to expose to 30-some hits a game. I wrote before the combine that scouts saw a lot of one-read-and-go in Jackson's game on tape, and the word out of the school was that Jackson was a little further away than some other QBs in terms of Xs and Os, so teams were certain to challenge him (like Darnold and Mason Rudolph, among others) on the board during interviews. NFL teams always want to figure out how much football a guy knows before anointing him at the most important position. "Lamar's got good aptitude. He just wasn't given that responsibility," said the second OC, who has spent time with Jackson. "There's a difference between a guy who can't do it and a guy who never was asked to do it, but can learn. He can learn." Said a quarterbacks coach who met with Jackson: "They had a progression-based offense. You can see it. But then, when you talk to him, he can't verbalize it for you. If you've got him really honed in on a game plan, I think he'd be able to do whatever you need to do. He has experience with real route concepts and making reads. You see him make good decisions. He throws the ball fine. I think accuracy is more of an issue forJosh Allen than it is for Lamar. He's a freak. He's the best athlete on the field every game he plays."

I think Jackson will be Kaepernick 2.0, at least in terms of career trajectory, perhaps a bit less potential to grow as a passer. Him sitting for a year or 2 to get functional in an NFL offense, then being able to leverage the athleticism and arm strength will make him very effective, but the window of effectiveness will last about 2-3 years. I think he'll be an NFL calibre QB for as long as his legs make him a genuine threat. 

Mind you I say that as someone that was a Kaep fan, so I'm not saying it as a knock or anything - If I could draft a QB in the mid-late 1st knowing I'd get 2012-2014 Kaepernick, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by WFLukic