BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

I definitely get the sense that for this league, having a lot of young talent on rookie deals is almost a necessity if you want to have a complete team. And it has to be a continuous cycle, hitting a grand slam on one draft class just means some of that talent will end up having to walk at the end of their rookie deals.

51 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I definitely get the sense that for this league, having a lot of young talent on rookie deals is almost a necessity if you want to have a complete team. And it has to be a continuous cycle, hitting a grand slam on one draft class just means some of that talent will end up having to walk at the end of their rookie deals.

Depends. Some teams are stacked because they draft well, others because they are smart in FA, others because they trade well. I don't think there is a magic recipe. For example I'm a poor drafter yet I always had a competitive team.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

I'm not. People should get rewarded for drafting well

People should also get rewarded for making good FA deals too. We've seen the overspending get out of control. Making a choice to only spend so much on a UFA is what teams have to do IRL as well.

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I blame  Kelechi Osemele for starting that trend.

Top 5 Centers/Guards are going to get more expensive. One reason I went Budget hunting last year with Kline and Taylor was because I'm paying Hudson the most for a Center in the league. Granted he was PFF's best pass blocker last year but still expensive.

He got paid because he was supposed to be the starting LT, but since he got shifted back to guard he has messed with the entire market.

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Sounds a lot like the NFL 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SirA1 said:

It would be 5th year in 2018 and 3 Up him in 2019.

One contract per yer.

Only exception is actual Franchise tagged players. You have to 3 Up them at 100% of the tag and then if they sign you get to restructure the deal to 85% of the new contract. It's done that way to insure you have the cap space as the tag will obviously be higher of the two.

The last statement is false. This seems very arbitrary to allow a franchise tag restructure and not a fifth year option 

12 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Apparently I need to learn to negotiate with Xmad. I try to trade with him and he offers like the 3.6 for my 1.3 and Reed

Well he came to me trying to get rid of 3 bad contracts (Veldheer, Hightower and Orakpo) - which he should if he wants to get busy in FA since he has like 5K of cap after 2 3d. I used his cap situation, and my lack of 3d options, to get Howard for super cheap.

This deal is bad because Xmad was in cap hell. But I think he's in a better situation now that he was before this trade, especially considering he has Shady on the roster.

On this note, Veldheer and Orakpo are available for super cheap if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Well he came to me trying to get rid of 3 bad contracts (Veldheer, Hightower and Orakpo) - which he should if he wants to get busy in FA since he has like 5K of cap after 2 3d. I used his cap situation, and my lack of 3d options, to get Howard for super cheap.

This deal is bad because Xmad was in cap hell. But I think he's in a better situation now that he was before this trade, especially considering he has Shady on the roster.

On this note, Veldheer and Orakpo are available for super cheap if anyone is interested.

Hightower is still a really good player though, I don't really consider him a cap dump.

• Like 1

Just now, Jlash said:

Hightower is still a really good player though, I don't really consider him a cap dump.

8K for a guy who can't play more than 10 games a year is an overpay imho.

I may not 3d him, because I'm ridiculously thin at LB and because, as you said, Hightower is a solid player. But I understand why XMad wanted to get rid of him.

Hightower was a guy I strongly considered trading for. His salary and length of contract are probably equal to his actual value.

Makes sense since Shazier is already confirmed to be out 2018 NFL season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jlash said:

10 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Hightower was a guy I strongly considered trading for. His salary and length of contract are probably equal to his actual value.

Makes sense since Shazier is already confirmed to be out 2018 NFL season.

I agree with both of these.  Assuming he can stay healthy.  Only played 5 games last year, missed 3 games the year before that, missed 4 games the year before that.

• Like 2