BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

I was about to go on a rant but I'll save some for my incoming gameplan.

Only thing I will complain about is the lasy-a** explanations I've seen in my matchup. I can respect people disagreeing on my gameplan for various reasons (whether I feel they're legitimate or not), I can respect people disagreeing with me on the competencies of certain players (on my side or on the opposite ones) or how some matchup turn out, but some stuff is just hard to swallow.

In my matchup vs MD4L, of the 14 people in BDL not including MD4L or I:

• 3 actually discussed gameplan specifics including one who said something factually inaccurate
  • 3 people said Cuba had the better or a strong gameplan (which I'm not saying isn't true) but never went into specifics
  • 2 people gave roster reasonings and not gameplan reasonings
  • 2 people gave the scenario of the game but never got into why, roster or gameplan
  • 2 people talked about my injuries when I have, or at least had, only one to account for. Only one of these 2 went into other roster issues.
  • 1 person voted but didn't comment (yet?)
  • 1 person didn't vote

I understand that some who usually go more in depth didn't have the time at this particular time which is ok obviously

But for others, it would be appreciated if they get more into specifics. Because, and it is an issue which has been raised by many people, everybody takes time in gameplanning and all and sometimes you get the impression that people just don't read it (which is probably not the case in reality)

Also, I will propose next owners meeting to get two full days post MNF to vote and have the deadline at midnight between Wed and Thu, with the waivers happening at 8PM Thu. Because some are struggling to vote and comment in time.

Finally, the back and forth between opponents for pages, and with the people commenting on their vote has to stop or at least to be limited. It's unreadable, injury updates are lost in the way (MD4L missed Louisiana tackles injury for example) and, for comments, it discourage people from giving developed reasonings because you know that, with some owners, they're going to argue and neatpick it and it will take you time.

That being said, GG @MD4L. I've always respected your squad and it's now nicely coming to shape with Kirk playing well and Sherman back. Didn't want to trash Callahan, I just forgot about him and thought you would go with Anthony Brown at nickel.

Edited by TedLavie
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Only thing I will complain about is the lasy-a** explanations I've seen in my matchup. I can respect people disagreeing on my gameplan for various reasons (whether I feel they're legitimate or not), I can respect people disagreeing with me on the competencies of certain players (on my side or on the opposite ones) or how some matchup turn out, but some stuff is just hard to swallow.

• 3 actually discussed gameplan specifics including one who said something factually inaccurate
  • 3 people said Cuba had the better or a strong gameplan (which I'm not saying isn't true) but never went into specifics
  • 2 people gave the scenario of the game but never got into why, roster or gameplan
  • 2 people talked about my injuries when I have, or at least had, only one to account for. Only one of these 2 went into other roster issues.
  • 1 person didn't vote

I understand that some who usually go more in depth didn't have the time at this particular time which is ok obviously

But for others, it would be appreciated if they get more into specifics. Because, and it is an issue which has been raised by many people, everybody takes time in gameplanning and all and sometimes you get the impression that people just don't read it (which is probably not the case in reality)

Also, I will propose next owners meeting to get two full days post MNF to vote and have the deadline at midnight between Wed and Thu, with the waivers happening at 8PM Thu. Because some are struggling to vote and comment in time.

Finally, the back and forth between opponents for pages, and with the people commenting on their vote has to stop or at least to be limited. It's unreadable, injury updates are lost in the way (MD4L missed Louisiana tackles injury for example) and, for comments, it discourage people from giving developed reasonings because you know that, with some owners, they're going to argue and neatpick it and it will take you time.

That being said, GG @MD4L. I've always respected your squad and it's now nicely coming to shape with Kirk playing well and Sherman back. Didn't want to trash Callahan, I just forgot about him and thought you would go with Anthony Brown at nickel.

I am guilty of not providing more input and once I get home this evening I'll provide you a written-out process of the logic behind my vote (like I did with Hockey).

I do agree that the time constraints can be challenging. Mondays we have MNF, and then it feels like Tuesday night is the only time to really get votes in, unless you wake up an hour early like I did in order to read and vote (was exhausted yesterday). Having an additional evening would help out a lot, and allow people to provide lengthier feedback (Have you seen my gameplans? Once I start writing it goes on).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

• 1 person didn't vote

I do apologize for not providing more detail in my vote, unexpected company hampered my time this week.  However, I do agree that we all should provide more explanation when voting.  I do think that the back and forth on a respectful level is needed.  Using my gameplan, you said that spying Newton with Outside linebacker that he'd have a field day running to the outside.  In my opinion contain and spying are two different things, and still believe that containing the edge would have worked well against Cam Newton and that his success running to the outside wouldn't have worked.  So this kind of back and forth is needed, but the bitter back and forth, not so much.

MD4L said, "I don’t see Orlando’s starting QB, RB, WRx3 on their starting lineup."  

I don't even understand that comment.

@Whicker

I was hoping to say more but still have company over.

GG man.  I felt you came in this weak with a solid roster and a sound game plan.  I felt that I did some things to limit your success on both sides of the ball and I think you did things to limit my success.

Nice win...Hope to pay you back in our next meeting...haha.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I do apologize for not providing more detail in my vote, unexpected company hampered my time this week.  However, I do agree that we all should provide more explanation when voting.  I do think that the back and forth on a respectful level is needed.  Using my gameplan, you said that spying Newton with Outside linebacker that he'd have a field day running to the outside.  In my opinion contain and spying are two different things, and still believe that containing the edge would have worked well against Cam Newton and that his success running to the outside wouldn't have worked.  So this kind of back and forth is needed, but the bitter back and forth, not so much.

MD4L said, "I don’t see Orlando’s starting QB, RB, WRx3 on their starting lineup."  

I don't even understand that comment.

It was 2:25 AM. I’ve never seen anyone start their lineup with the OL then skill positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

@Whicker

I was hoping to say more but still have company over.

GG man.  I felt you came in this weak with a solid roster and a sound game plan.  I felt that I did some things to limit your success on both sides of the ball and I think you did things to limit my success.

Nice win...Hope to pay you back in our next meeting...haha.

GG. We'll meet again.

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Man it got pissy in here....I'm relatively new to the group (only "older" than Ruskie and you) and I always revert back to the above. At the end of the day this is a group of dudes that likes football so much that they created their own league with bylaws, Winter meetings, rosters and salary caps rather than risk missing an ounce of football because of a lockout. The bitching isn't personal, its just old guys that like to *****.

Also, Its gonna take awhile for you to live that Mahomes deal down. Think about the deal IRL. Even if you had 37(?) year old Rivers starting you wouldn't trade the young Mahomes for two decent edge rushers. You probably should have targeted a JJ Watt or a Khalil Mack or bolstered your edge another way. I know you have an embarrassment of riches at QB (even after trading Wilson and Mahomes) but the value was just not there.

I'm still amazed that deal was approved, I've given up a 1st and 3rd for multiple starting QBs (Rivers and Dak) plus the trade for Ben with two very good starters getting sent to Singapore. Quality starting QBs in BDL are not cheap and that Mahomes deal is probably the worst value wise I've seen.

Oh and if you need players don't be afraid to @ me with the trade deadline coming up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

• 1 person didn't vote

Would it help if I edited the starting lineups to reflect inactives?

I would rather not extend voting time but I guess that's just a personal preference.

Voting and commenting have been this way in my entire tenure of BDL, regardless of any arguing about comments. You're asking for something that's entirely unsustainable.

At least for me, I have to vent. We all spend a lot of time doing this for no tangible reward. Just guessing, I spend well over a days worth of time each week doing something related to BDL. Our only rewards for this are entertainment and winning, and if you're not feeling rewarded, then obviously you're going to feel down about the time spent. I play poker for a living and staying on an absolute even keel for 12 hours+ at a time, sometimes while losing near constantly, is a major, major drain. I think I've said it before, but BDL is an outlet for me in a lot of ways. I can sink myself into my gameplans/research and reset myself. I can argue with you all and vent my frustrations from elsewhere knowing that it's among friends and not personal. I know that's kind of making that just about me, but I know everyone here has a stressful life in some way, and I'm sure BDL is one way that we all escape.

• Like 2

Guys I started a new job this week so if you got a quick or no comment from me I apologize.  Also I probably won't be able to get to waivers til around 530-6 now.  So I'll still do them if you guys want but if you don't want me to going forward let me kno 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, ny92mike said:

So a couple weeks ago I got dinged on listing A. Kamara on the bench as a RB/WR.  My game plan was to run a spread offense in which Kamara's main role in that game was to be the 4th receiver with T. Coleman as the primary running back.

Since then, I've been paying more attention to the listed starters and bench players on other teams, pointing out that Portlands lineup was obviously geared to go vertical as the lineup had listed 4 starting receivers, but that the game plan alluded that the tight end was going to be heavily involved. 

The way I personally view it is the people that are listed as starters will be getting the majority of the snaps, thus they're the starter. I take bench/depth players into account based on how they are used in the game plan. The problem with your Kamara game plan a couple weeks back is as follows:

We’ll get Alvin Kamara involved in the passing game this week, by putting him on the line as a receiver in spread formations.

Expect Kamara to get about 5 carries as he’ll primarily be used in this passing game to get Rivers as many targets downfield as possible.

Those are the only two lines in your game plan. Generally the targets of a 4th WR + 5 carries don't amount to much usage. I would have emphasized the amount of targets you planned on giving him or even listed him as a RB/WR starter in place of Snead or something like that if you planned on using him more than that.