BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

22 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Absolutely.  Or CJ Mosley or any other 5th year eligible player.  If you want to use your 3 up that way it's your resource to use.

We allow the averaging of the 4th and  5th years if you want to pay the player early which saves way more cap in the end over using a 3up.

5th year options were created with the intent of allowing you to use your 3 up on other players. Nothing is forcing you to do so though.

So let me ask this in a different way....if a player is 5th year'ed in real life I can use a 3up in the BDL instead of the 5th year option and sign the player on a one year deal at the average of the 4th and 5th years of the deal combined?

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

So let me ask this in a different way....if a player is 5th year'ed in real life I can use a 3up in the BDL instead of the 5th year option and sign the player on a one year deal at the average of the 4th and 5th years of the deal combined?

Nope

6 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Nah mate it would just count as a 5th year and the salary would just average out.

Round 4

4.1 - Hawaii - Mike Gesicki, TE

4.2 - Hawaii - Justin Reid, S

Already selected : Saquon Barkley, Mike McGlinchey, Rashaan Evans, Arden Key, Donte Jackson

With the first two picks of the 4th round, Hawaii brings some competition to their TE and safety corps. Gesicki is a bit of a project, especially as a blocker, but he could easily supplement Fleener in a couple of years, while Reid could easily start Day 1 with Joseph in Hawaii secondary

4.3 - Rome - Ronnie Harrison, S

Already selected: Taven Bryan, Sam Hubbard

I think Harrison coverage issues will make him drop in BDL, but he is too good to pass for Rome here, as they could pair him with Addae now and Josh Jones in the future.

4.4 - Gotham - Kerryon Johnson, RB

Already selected: Derwin James, Harold Landry, Equanimous St. Brown

Gotham should bring in a RB to pair with Derrick Henry, and Kerryon Johnson offers him that. With his ability to play all 3 downs, he should fit well in Gotham.

4.5 - OKC - Tim Settle, NT

Already selected: Quenton Nelson, Calvin Ridley, Christian Kirk

Goldman and Davison are both RFAs and could be upgraded anyway. Settle has a lot of upside and could become a centerpiece of OKC future DL.

4.6 - Orlando - Mark Andrews, TE

Already selected: Bradley Chubb, Tremaine Edmuns, Josh Allen, Derrius Grice, Joshua Jackson, Billy Price, Maurice Hurst, Will Hernandez, DJ Moore

With a ton of picks made and to make, Orlando can afford to reach for a need here as they need a TE2 who can step in if Gronk retires/gets injured

4.7 - Berlin - Michael Gallup, WR

Already selected: Roquan Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Ronald Jones II, Lamar Jackson

Doesn't Berlin always need receivers? Gallup is a bit raw, but he could replace DeSean Jackson for Berlin down the road.

4.8 - Orlando - Jessie Bates, FS

Orlando could upgrade McLeod next to Keanu Neal, and Bates is solid value here.

4.9 - Gotham - Orlando Brown, OT

4.10 - Gotham - Isaiah Oliver, CB

Gotham makes two value picks here and grab two prospects who will improve their depth at first and may make guys like Schwartz or Norman expandable later.

4.11 - OKC - Frank Ragnow, OC

With Richburg situation unclear, OKC has no one to start at center for now. If he gets selected by the right team, Ragnow could be that guy

4.12 - Camden - Terell Edmuns, S

Already selected: Josh Rosen, Jaire Alexander, Kolton Miller, James Daniels, Anthony Miller, DJ Chark

Camden has no one behind Adams and Byard, the latter being a FA next year. Edmuns is solid value here and fills a need.

4.13 - Hawaii - Lorenzo Carter, Edge

Hawaii just selected Key, but you can't rely on him, and, anyway, you never have too many pass rushers. Carter is a good fit for Hawaii scheme, and is solid value here.

4.14 - Singapore - Royce Freeman, RB

Welcome SirA! I think Singapore hopes one of those WR or CB prospects falls a bit, but with no one there worth selecting in the 4th round, I think Singapore tries to make its RB magic work again with Royce Freeman, who could step in for Bell next year paired with Hunt.

4.15 - Seoul - Kalen Ballage, RB

Already selected: Da'Ron Payne

Ballage 3rd down ability would complement Howard skill-set well in Seoul backfield

4.16 - Rome - Darius Leonard, LB

Currently, Rome has a lot of questions at LB next to CJ Mosley. Leonard is a bit of an unknown, playing for a small school, but he has the physical attributs to play all 3 downs as a LB, which is very valuable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

What part was incorrect?

5th Year Options

Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year.

Option 2 - If a team wants the can average the higher of BDL players Salary or their NFL Rookie Average with the total of the 5th year option and spread it over 2 years to satisfy the 5th year contract.

The first part is for a player on a 5th year option that you chose not to use Option 2 on when you still had them under contract for any variety of reasons. Cap Space being the number one most likely. These rules were created so that teams would still be able to keep those players without having to use a 3 up on them. When we started this 7 years ago wee were unaware of the whole 5th year option part of the CBA so had to create a rule to accommodate those players. We've slowly adjusted things like allowing for 5 year deals for BDL 1st rounders so that it shouldn't matter in a few years.

If you've got a player still under contract this year and they are given a 5th year tender for 2019 then you can use option 2 above for free because it still pays the player the same but uses cap from this year saving you some next year.

Option 3 - Which is what Bcb is having an issue with,  is using a 3 Up on a 5th year player to get them signed for 85% of the 5th year option instead of 100%. This was originally the only option a few years ago but we created the other two options above to allow teams to use their 3 Ups on other players basically postponing the use of a 3 Up for 1 year on these 5th year players. It doesn't preclude them from using a 3 up two years in a row on the same player. Much like the situation I'm in with Lev Bell in that he keeps getting Franchised and I've had to 3 Up him 2 years in a row.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I'm going to trade them to SirA for 1st and 2nd rounders next year.

In 6 years of drafting I've only had two 1st round picks. One good, one bad. Aaron Donald (1.6) and Shariff Floyd (1.5) .I'm pretty sure I traded away next years first for Floyd too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Round 4

4.14 - Singapore - Royce Freeman, RB

Welcome SirA! I think Singapore hopes one of those WR or CB prospects falls a bit, but with no one there worth selecting in the 4th round, I think Singapore tries to make its RB magic work again with Royce Freeman, who could step in for Bell next year paired with Hunt.

I like Freeman but probably in a few rounds. Carter going one pick before is a dagger in my heart though.

13 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

In 6 years of drafting I've only had two 1st round picks. One good, one bad. Aaron Donald (1.6) and Shariff Floyd (1.5) .I'm pretty sure I traded away next years first for Floyd too.

So here's my philosophy on the draft. Other than last year which I had very good luck (8 of 9 picks looking good) it's such a crapshoot.

Drafts from 2012-2016 (56 Draft Picks total) not counting PFA either.

7 of those players are still on my 2018 roster. 

6-7 are starters for other BDL teams but not a huge hit rate.

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I actually think Gallup is hugely underrated in this draft.  But I brought in Godwin and Golladay last year and want to see how they develop.

Forget about Golladay. Still shouldnt preclude you from selecting a WR you like.

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

I should definitely be looking to move on from my 24 year old 1st team All Pro FS this year. No shot I bring him back. 

Did I say that?

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I like Freeman but probably in a few rounds. Carter going one pick before is a dagger in my heart though.

Yeah I originally had you selecting Freeman in R5 but didn't see a better fit in R4 after your trade tbh.