Madden 19

MacReady

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The Superstar abilities feature sounds like a total disaster.  Like the year the one handed possession catch was unstoppable.  

True, but I'm just glad they are trying.  I'd rather have Brady or Mahomes tear me up on some unrealistic ish than it just feeling like another boring game.  Madden's gameplay, at least in my opinion, isn't terrible but there is a certain spice missing from it.  So I'm all for making the gap between superstars and average players more noticeable.  At least when you are playing 2K, you know when you're playing Curry.  You know when you're playing LeBron.  Durant.  That's gotta be the same way with someone like Barkley or AB, even if it ends up being a little OP at first.  It's better than how it is currently.

The scenarios in franchise mode sound good too.  So hopefully it works out.  I hope they are able to get stats more in line with reality too, but I doubt it.

Madden 20 releases August 2nd for the standard edition.  The Superstar edition comes out July 30th.  If you have EA Access or Origin Premier you can start playing on July 25th.

I remember when Madden used to come out at the end of August.  Now it's in July.  That's crazy.  In less than three months from now, a ton of people will be playing Madden 20.

11 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I thought the new career mode sounded kinda cool... Until they mentioned earning abilities... It's a damn football game not an RPG...

I like it.. if done right.

• Like 1

The reality aspect of franchise mode is the first positive news I've heard from a Madden game in at least 10 years.  Holdouts and disgruntled players sounds like something that should have been added, not removed, from Madden 2005.  Won't be enough, but it's the first thing that makes it look like they give a ****. 

• Like 2

According to vgchartz, Madden 19 is one of the lowest selling Madden games of this gen.  The only Madden that has sold worse is Madden 25, but that's because Madden 25 was released in August on the Xbox 360 and PS3 and then re-released in November on the Xbox One and PS4, which a lot of people didn't even own at the time.  So with that piece of context, Madden 19 is the worst selling Madden this gen.

Maybe all this extra effort is because the game is suffering from a dip in sales.  Seems like they're adjusting or flat out overhauling many aspects of the game.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

According to vgchartz, Madden 19 is one of the lowest selling Madden games of this gen.  The only Madden that has sold worse is Madden 25, but that's because Madden 25 was released in August on the Xbox 360 and PS3 and then re-released in November on the Xbox One and PS4, which a lot of people didn't even own at the time.  So with that piece of context, Madden 19 is the worst selling Madden this gen.

Maybe all this extra effort is because the game is suffering from a dip in sales.  Seems like they're adjusting or flat out overhauling many aspects of the game.

Fingers crossed, unfortunately due to EA's consistent track record, I'll believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I wonder how much of the sales dip they’re going to attribute (rightfully or not) to bringing the game back to PC and the piracy that comes with that decision. If they’re 5% below or whatever, I could see them calling that the full cause of the dip in sales and just deciding to cut off the PC version if this next year is down again. 

13 minutes ago, pwny said:

I wonder how much of the sales dip they’re going to attribute (rightfully or not) to bringing the game back to PC and the piracy that comes with that decision. If they’re 5% below or whatever, I could see them calling that the full cause of the dip in sales and just deciding to cut off the PC version if this next year is down again. 

I didn't even factor in PC sales.  My statement was sales being down solely on the Xbox One and PS4.  I probably should have made that more clear.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see your point.  If someone stole the game on PC, they wouldn't buy it for their Xbox or PS4 if they had one.

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

I didn't even factor in PC sales.  My statement was sales being down solely on the Xbox One and PS4.  I probably should have made that more clear.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see your point.  If someone stole the game on PC, they wouldn't buy it for their Xbox or PS4 if they had one.

Yeah, your edit is what I meant. I’d also factor in PC sales for this. They cannibalize some of the XBox and PS4 sales as well. I know a good number of people went with PC over their usual console buy because they were interested in mods that may come out. 

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, your edit is what I meant. I’d also factor in PC sales for this. They cannibalize some of the XBox and PS4 sales as well. I know a good number of people went with PC over their usual console buy because they were interested in mods that may come out. 

Are PC sales a net negative to total sales?

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Here are some of the sale numbers from previous Madden games on PS4 and Xbox One.  I'm not able to find Madden 19 PC sales at the moment.

Madden 19:  3.72 million sales

Madden 18:  4.53 million sales

Madden 17:  5.72 million sales - It's worth nothing, this was the last year Madden was made for 360/PS3 where it sold about 720,000 copies = 6.4 million sales total

Madden 16:  5.77 million sales - The game also sold 1.82 million on the 360/PS3 as well = 7.59 million sales total

So as you can see, sales have steadily dipped for the franchise every year for the past four games.  PC sales may have messed with this number slightly, but the numbers follow the trend over years.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Here are some of the sale numbers from previous Madden games on PS4 and Xbox One.  I'm not able to find Madden 19 PC sales at the moment.

Madden 19:  3.72 million sales

Madden 18:  4.53 million sales

Madden 17:  5.72 million sales - It's worth nothing, this was the last year Madden was made for 360/PS3 where it sold about 720,000 copies = 6.4 million sales total

Madden 16:  5.77 million sales - The game also sold 1.82 million on the 360/PS3 as well = 7.59 million sales total

So as you can see, sales have steadily dipped for the franchise every year for the past four games.  PC sales may have messed with this number slightly, but the numbers follow the trend over years.

How could the NFL look at these numbers and be comfortable with their partnership with EA? In the past decade the popularity of the NFL has exploded yet the Madden sales numbers continue to trail off. The ones that get blasted for "being haters" are clearly not in the minority. Money talks. 

Still expect this new feature to be terrible and predictable, but it will boost their sales from where they were last year.