SBB's 1st mock in about 5 yrs

KodiakThunder

Cuts/Resigns:

Everyones is usually pretty similar, so i'll skip this here and focus on the meat of the mock....

Major FA Acquisitions:  100+ mil in cap space  after cuts     

-          Kurt Cousins, QB, 5 year  140 mil (35 mil cap hit)

-          Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB,  3 years 24 mil (contract will be front loaded, 12 mil hit in 2018)

-          Sammy Watkins, WR, 5 years 55 mil (9 mil cap hit in 2018)

-          D.J. Hayden, CB, 5 years 60 mil (10 mil cap hit)

-          Garry Gilliam, OT, 5 years  40 mil (7 mil cap hit)

-          Weston Richburg, OC, 4 years 20 mil (3.5 mil cap hit)

-          Andre Ellington, RB, 3 years 12 mil (3 mil cap hit)

Around 22 mil left in cap space for other acquisitions. 

**Guys, we have too much money. I did my best to spend here but there’s minimal guys I’d want to make a major investment in. I personally think Hayden, Gilliam, and Watkins get resigned… but if they don’t they are perfect for us.**

As per the draft, because player rankings are so fluid, i simply used CBS's prospect rankings. Are they perfect? of course not, but im doing my best to counter the know-it-alls that will say "he wont be there then and unrealistic." So i included the rankings, 

NFL Draft:

1.       Cle- Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

2.       NYG- Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

3.       Colts- Bradley Chubb, DE/OLB, NC State

4.       Cle- Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

5.       Denver- Sam Darnell, QB, USC

6.       NYJ- Saiquon Barkley, RB, Penn St. (CBS#7)... He's #1 on my draft board and if he falls, i'm picking him every time. I know RB the last position you need to select but the signing of Cousins signifies that Mac wants to make a push sooner rather than later. Barkley can immediately make a major difference on this team. Expect the defense to improve as well as they will be less tired in the 4th quarter, a major issue last season with our running game (TOP is huge and rarely looked at)

Round 2 (#37)- Jeff Holland, DE/OLB, Auburn (CBS#44)... I had him higher but CBS doesn't like him as much. He can come in immediately and be a factor on defense. Has a playmaking streak, needs to be more consistant but will be in most blitz packages. 

-  (via Sea #49)  Auden Tate, WR, Fla. St. (CBS# 49)... the Stephen Hill comparisons may be real but i think Tate has much better hands and is far less raw. Massive size and frame, something we lack on the outside. 

Round 3 (#72)- Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford (CBS #83).... This guy is a gutty player. He plays hard and smart and should fit perfect in Bowles defense as an off cover corner. 

Round 4(#109)- Wyatt Teller, OG, Va. Tech (#112).... should have no problem with a ZBS, very quick feet for his size. Deep OG draft as well. 

Round 5 (#159)- Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana (#145).... While i think we resign ASJ, i'd still like to see a solid TE drafted. Thomas has adequate size and speed and can block. He doesnt have all-pro measurables but should be more than servicable as a #2 TE to develop into a #1 one day

Round 6 (#182)- Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (#172)... i must admit, i'm not sure if FB is a position Lane will use or wants to use, but as it is, we have no real FB on the roster. 

Round 7 (#235)-Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia (#204)... great size and movement for that size, was overshadowed by flashier players at UGA but can easily develop into a rotational run stopper and eventually start.

Wrap-up:

- The jets make a major push towards the playoffs with the acquisition of several younger FA's and some high upside picks. Cousins will start immediately, along with Richberg, Watkins, Barkley, and Hayden and Ansah... that's 6 new starters (4 on offense and 2 on def). 

I like it but unsure on FA, it seems abit unrealistic of the amount of signings and I wouldn’t want Hayden certainly at that money.  Not sure Ansah is a great fit but he’s a good player and we need to improve the overall talent in this team. 

Really like the draft!

Overall I feel this is a playoff team so sign me up. We need to be playing competitive football come December onwards not looking at what pick in the draft we might crap our way too. 

I like the overall direction of it, just a few things I'd change. I don't think Watkins is going anywhere, I think he stays in LA. So I'd like to see us target a different WR in FA (Landry, Moncrief, Matthews, Lee, Richardson). I also would like to see us target a OG instead of OT. Carpenter doesn't exactly fit the ZBS, so we might move on from him, creating a hole at LG. I like addressing CB. I don't think Hayden is worth that much. I think he might not even be worth 1/2 of that. I'd rather see us target Gaines, Johnson or someone along those lines at CB. I'd also like to see us go after a better RB in FA. Maybe Hill as a bigger back to go along with Barkley. He shouldn't cost much after a down year. I like the draft a lot though.

Wouldn't give Gilliam or Hayden half the money you have them getting, don't believe Ansah fits in our scheme, we need to address OG in FA, Carpenter doesn't fit in a Zone Blocking scheme(his Seattle tenure and last year show this best) so we basically need a new interior OL almost. Our OTs were fine, Beachum was solid and Shell dealt with injuries this past year but has shown flashes of being a solid RT. Also don't see Trenton Thompson falling to the 7th he's a 2/3 Ed round pick rn.

20 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

haha yea i certaintly overpaid for him. I think we can afford it though... even after all my signings we had 22+ mil in cap space going into the draft.... 

He's just not worth it bud. He's like a 5-6 mil a year corner if that. I'd also say you likely spent too much on FA just because you didn't account for re-signing our guys. Good thoughts though. 

56 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He's just not worth it bud. He's like a 5-6 mil a year corner if that. I'd also say you likely spent too much on FA just because you didn't account for re-signing our guys. Good thoughts though. 

its nice seeing the names i remembered from back in the day. You, Mr.O, Xena, ect...its like the bands getting back together. 

i apologoze for my prolonged absence though.

I'm fine with Watkins, Ansah, Richberg in FA.  Really want nothing to do with DJ Hayden, and I have no idea what Andre Ellington has done to have a team be interested much less give him 4 mill per year for 3 years.  The guy is 29 years old and already injury prone.

I am fine with most of the draft other than Barkley.  He just doesn't seem worth it to me.  If anyone watches his HL reel he looks like a top 10 pick, you watch his game tape and that starts to seem less like a good idea.  He is a 230lb scat back.  I'd rather have about 3 different guys in the 2nd or 3rd round than Barkley in the 1st.

1 hour ago, KodiakThunder said:

its nice seeing the names i remembered from back in the day. You, Mr.O, Xena, ect...its like the bands getting back together. 

i apologoze for my prolonged absence though.

I remember you avatar.  It was some dark, purple person (sorry, no clue on the context, but remember it).

56 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I remember you avatar.  It was some dark, purple person (sorry, no clue on the context, but remember it).

haha i dont remember who it was either! someone made it for me during FFMD.

on a side note, Barkley runs hard also. I see him as a similar back to Ezekiel Elliot. Size, Speed, Shifty. He may need to be coached up oin physicality (i didnt think so as a penn st fan) but i respect your opinion on his tape. 

But just wondering, who would you yave selected there?

4 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

haha i dont remember who it was either! someone made it for me during FFMD.

on a side note, Barkley runs hard also. I see him as a similar back to Ezekiel Elliot. Size, Speed, Shifty. He may need to be coached up oin physicality (i didnt think so as a penn st fan) but i respect your opinion on his tape. 

But just wondering, who would you yave selected there?

I love Barkley. A few one here knock him saying if you eliminate his big runs he has a poor ypc. I tend to see everything he offers and say well you cant just eliminate his big play ability and not factor that in. Bc his strength and speed is legit NFL high caliber. His leg strength is incredible.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I love Barkley. A few one here knock him saying if you eliminate his big runs he has a poor ypc. I tend to see everything he offers and say well you cant just eliminate his big play ability and not factor that in. Bc his strength and speed is legit NFL high caliber. His leg strength is incredible.

Beyond that, he's disappeared at times against good teams and consistently tries to bounce it to the outside which he won't be able to at the next level.

Archived