The Hundley Debacle: Who's to Blame?

Greg C.

3 hours ago, malak1 said:

Not at all. It’s your fault for expecting him to be good. 

I don't believe all of us expected him to be good.  We hoped he would be and if he played well we could have tried to trade him for picks.  It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in him.  Now most of us are hoping our new GM will either draft another one after round 3 and/or sign a vet FA to be Rodgers' backup this year.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I don't believe all of us expected him to be good.  We hoped he would be and if he played well we could have tried to trade him for picks.  It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in him.  Now most of us are hoping our new GM will either draft another one after round 3 and/or sign a vet FA to be Rodgers' backup this year.

Yep. Quite a distance between hope and expect.

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

I believe this nails it.

Disappointment reigned supreme :|

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

Sure, but plenty of you did. And that fine. He has some good tools, and McCarthy was supposed to be the QB whisperer or whatever, but some players simply aren't good enough, and Hundley is one of those players. No big deal since he was a late pick. My point is, if anyone is disappointed that Hundley didn't pan out, their disappointment is their own fault, because they shouldn't have been excepting much to begin with. 

20 hours ago, malak1 said:

Not at all. It’s your fault for expecting him to be good. 

After three years in the system, GB fans expected Hundley to look competent running the offense.  It was a reasonable expectation.  Hundley should not have looked overwhelmed, which is exactly how he looked a good portion of the time.  To me, that's on MM.  Whatever MM is doing to prep the backup QB's, it's not getting them ready to step in and play.  I don't know if the problem is not challenging them enough in practice, needing to better tailor the game plan, or whatever.  I just know what he's doing is not working.  Hundley has the basic tools to play in the NFL.  There is no reason he should have looked so unprepared to play when his moment came in a system he had been learning for 3 years.

I wonder how people would feel about Hundley if it were not for the last two games of the year in which we were pretty much "tanking" and missing about half of our starters.

In this hypothetical situation Hundley would have ended his season with a 3-4 record and  a passer rating ~84 as a starter, a good game against Pitt and back to back OT wins.

Obviously the last two games did happen and they weren't pretty but I think those last two games with the team in tank mode really drove the nail in the coffin of most fan's opinions.

9 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I wonder how people would feel about Hundley if it were not for the last two games of the year in which we were pretty much "tanking" and missing about half of our starters.

In this hypothetical situation Hundley would have ended his season with a 3-4 record and  a passer rating ~84 as a starter, a good game against Pitt and back to back OT wins.

Obviously the last two games did happen and they weren't pretty but I think those last two games with the team in tank mode really drove the nail in the coffin of most fan's opinions.

But even before the loss to Carolina with AR back for that game Hundley didn't look very good most of the time except for perhaps in the Steelers game.  But like I said before, I'm not sorry about what happened last season.  Having a poor season may have finally forced McCarthy to give up on Capers and other assistants.  Perhaps now with higher picks than we've had in a while and changes on the coaching staff things will be looking better for our favorite franchise in 2018.

17 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I don't know it wasn't just about the stats being bad.  His accuracy over 10ish yards was awful as was whatever he was trying to do in the pocket and he wasn't seeing the field very well at all.  He just panicked and ran into a ton of sacks and even though he started getting a bit better about it his little bail from a clean pocket/run 10 yards backwards toward the sideline thing was just ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

I don't know it wasn't just about the stats being bad.  His accuracy over 10ish yards was awful as was whatever he was trying to do in the pocket and he wasn't seeing the field very well at all.  He just panicked and ran into a ton of sacks and even though he started getting a bit better about it his little bail from a clean pocket/run 10 yards backwards toward the sideline thing was just ridiculous.

This.  He was soooo inaccurate it kinda broke my heart.  I'll even give him 15 yards, but after that it was very bad.  Even Joel Stave was more accurate than Hundley.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Pugger said:

On 2/25/2018 at 6:05 PM, wgbeethree said:

If he still loses against the Ravens and Vikings people would probably understand, but to put up a big old goose egg against BOTH of them at HOME is what really sticks in peoples craw. Lets say we score 13 points in each of those games but still lose, I think the tone is different. Not 180 degrees, but different. 

McCarthy didn't do Hundley any favors in that Ravens game. We had so many opportunity to control field position and McCarthy chose to go for it over and over. Drove me nuts. You have a back up qb, lets help him with some field position. I swear every drive he started at the 10 yard line. Its hard to drive against the Ravens 90 yds with Rodgers at QB...almost impossible with Hundley. 

2 hours ago, tredpack said:

If he still loses against the Ravens and Vikings people would probably understand, but to put up a big old goose egg against BOTH of them at HOME is what really sticks in peoples craw. Lets say we score 13 points in each of those games but still lose, I think the tone is different. Not 180 degrees, but different. 

McCarthy didn't do Hundley any favors in that Ravens game. We had so many opportunity to control field position and McCarthy chose to go for it over and over. Drove me nuts. You have a back up qb, lets help him with some field position. I swear every drive he started at the 10 yard line. Its hard to drive against the Ravens 90 yds with Rodgers at QB...almost impossible with Hundley. 

eh it's hard to play the control field position game when you have a defense as bad as ours was about giving up yards.  Punting to play for field position was a losing proposition with our D.

Archived