The Hundley Debacle: Who's to Blame?

Greg C.

1 minute ago, MNPackfan32 said:

My goodness. Imagine if this franchise had actual QB problems. Sorry we don't have a HOF QB just chilling on ice waiting for the time? This is what happens when you have $100,000,000 invested in a QB. You can't exactly afford another quality QB.

The failure was keeping Dom Capers as long as we did. A good defense wins us the Pittsburgh game, probably the Saints game and the Carolina game. 

Keeping Capers allowed Hundley to shine in practice and aided in fooling MM and AVP into thinking Hundley was a capable backup.;)

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If my opinion was that the world was flat, would you accept it?  If a bad opinion is a bad opinion, I'm going to point that bad opinion out.

If you want me to get over myself, prove to me how it was anybody's fault but Hundley's. 

At what point were we supposed to find a replacement?  Keeping in mind that it would take roughly 2 weeks for any QB to learn what they were doing.  Also keeping in mind who was available. 

Don't get offended because I pointed out flaws in your logic. 

If the answer was so obvious as  a flat earth, it wouldn't be an argument at all. You say no blame, I say there is. I cite as evidence the time Hundley has been on the team. My logic isn't flawed, it just fails to align with yours. Your assertions about Hundley's ability carries less weight for me  than the amount of time he was on the team You have an aggressive way of replying that encourages a strong response, so don't be surprised at a short reply. 

37 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If the answer was so obvious as  a flat earth, it wouldn't be an argument at all. You say no blame, I say there is. I cite as evidence the time Hundley has been on the team. My logic isn't flawed, it just fails to align with yours.

I'll ask again...

At what point was a change supposed to have been made at BACKUP QUARTERBACK?

I'll ask again:

Who were we supposed to have signed, drafted or traded for?

Re: PapaShogun

Callahan is worse and its unfortunate.

Callahan just didn't make the leap and he's still just a runaround guy with moxie. Hundley actually played well when he was on script, look at the opening drives where he moved the team down the field. But then once the script ran out and he had to deal with the speed of the game, he couldn't process info fast enough.

Will he ever get there ? Nobody knows...but it took Keenum 6 years and 4 teams to achieve "serviceable"

Once again, injuries out the wazoo at RB in particular coupled with a certain coordinator who should've been let go years ago created this situation. I'd be willing to bet that Hundley would've fared far better had he had a legit running game. Our offense is designed to pass first to set up the run. With Rodgers out, a good running game could've reversed the table and kept us competitive. That occurred for exactly one game in which we almost beat Pittsburgh...

If someone had to be blamed it would be on McCarthy since he's mostly responsible for the QBs development and the decision whether to move on if the QB doesn't have it.  That being said everything McCarthy did regarding Hundley was understandable unless the unlikely scenario where Hundley looked like a mess even in practices and McCarthy stuck with him anyways.

It is pretty crazy how ridiculously bad Hundley was in home games though.  Lowest passer rating since 2008 for QBs that threw over 100 passes at home out of 112 QBS!  He was worse at home games than Curtis Painter and Jimmy Clausen lol.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2008&year_max=2017&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos=0&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_location=H&c1stat=pass_att&c1comp=gt&c1val=100&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_rating

4 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Minnesota and Philadelphia got it done!

Cop out argument.  Neither of those teams had the money invested in their 'starter' like we did.  They could afford a better backup.

HZ is asking WHEN were we suppose to know that Hundley couldn't do the job and WHEN were we supposed to replace him with WHAT?

Your reply is inane.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll ask again...

At what point was a change supposed to have been made at BACKUP QUARTERBACK? The earlier the better, as soon as the coaches realised what Hundley was (their mistake to fail at that). The last chance was keeping Taysom Hill, but there were other options if the Packers had acted earlier.

I'll ask again:

Who were we supposed to have signed, drafted or traded for? That was not the question asked. I don't need to shoot through moving goalposts, the original ones were good enough for me.

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Oh.  Alright, so you can't answer who we were supposed to have signed.  Gotcha.

Taysum Hill makes special teams plays and we were supposed to have kept him and he would have been better than Hundley.  Gotcha.

28 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Minnesota and Philadelphia got it done!

Where was the money to sign Foles or Keenum?

Foles wasn't going to sign here, and neither was Keenum.  Both of those guys signed where they did because they knew the teams, got paid and there was a better chance of actually playing.  

This was the year of the backup QB.  This debate never comes up again.  Backup quarterbacks do not play the way they played this year.  All other years, that's why they're backups.  The best offensive coordinator in the league last year took over for the Rams, turned Goff into a pro.  Eagles OC went and got a wad coaching job.  Same thing for Keenum's.  Maybe if we didn't have an under qualified offensive coordinator, Hundley wouldn't have sucked quite so bad.  Or maybe if we had Burton and Ertz instead of Rodgers and Kendricks.  And on and on an on.

Going into this season...

We had literally zero reason to expect Hundley wasn't capable of being a competent backup.  By the time we realized he wasn't, it was too late.  Period.  End of discussion.  Anything else is revisionist history at best, lies and whining at worst.

Archived