Is paying big money for a QB worth it?

Bolts223

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Oh I understand how important LS is. Same with gunners.

I agree with your original statement about a QB and 40 others, I was just trying to throw in a little humor behind it as well.

Yeah that is what I was doing to man. 

We could start up a comedy show. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It would be better than Joey tho

lol. I can honestly say I have never watched a single episode of that show. I never gave it a chance the minute that it was promoted and I saw the most bland "comedian"(and I use that word loosely) was hosting it. 

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

lol. I can honestly say I have never watched a single episode of that show. I never gave it a chance the minute that it was promoted and I saw the most bland "comedian"(and I use that word loosely) was hosting it. 

Watched 10 minutes no laughs.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If we did do a show together I would be the main guy and you would be my lacky.

The stats on the OP are interesting, but they lack context.

Who are the QBs in that categories? Are they using total cap available %, or used cap %?

Also the stat seems to contradict itself a bit, since the #s don't seem to add up. Is there more information available on the subject?

Yes. Not enough a question. Sure it'd be ideal having an elite roster and getting good QB on a rookie deal but it would also be ideal if I could just inherent a fortune rather than have to work hard and be prudent in my spending to get there but here we are in reality. If you were talented enough to draft/sign a deep roster that was QB independent, why wouldn't you use those skills to just get an elite QB anyways? A good QB ensures roster viability much more consistently than thinking you can consistently hit on the other 21 positions and fill gaps when you can pay all of them in FA.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:26 AM, Bolts223 said:

QB's like Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, now Jimmy G and probably Kirk Cousins are all making around $25 million a year, more in the case of Jimmy G.

As important as a QB is to a teams success, is it worth it to pay that much for a QB? (Assuming the ultimate goal is to win a SB)

Do you think that you will see more teams give up a franchise QB like the Redskins if he demands that much money?

Whyyyyyy, if he's the right quarterback, he'll be worth every penny!!!

Image result for Brock OsweilerImage result for carpetbaggers

On 2/13/2018 at 9:43 AM, cddolphin said:

RIP small market teams

MLB World Series Winners
SEASON WINNER LOSER SERIES
2017 Houston Astros Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3
2016 Chicago Cubs Cleveland Indians 4-3
2015 Kansas City Royals New York Mets 4-1
2014 San Francisco Giants Kansas City Royals 4-3
2013 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
2012 San Francisco Giants Detroit Tigers 4-0
2011 St. Louis Cardinals Texas Rangers 4-3
2010 San Francisco Giants Texas Rangers 4-1
2009 New York Yankees Philadelphia Phillies 4-2
2008 Philadelphia Phillies Tampa Bay Rays 4-1
2007 Boston Red Sox Colorado Rockies 4-0
2006 St. Louis Cardinals Detroit Tigers 4-1
2005 Chicago White Sox Houston Astros 4-0
2004 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-0
2003 Florida Marlins New York Yankees 4-2
2002 Anaheim Angels San Francisco Giants 4-3
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks New York Yankees 4-3
2000 New York Yankees New York Mets 4-1
1999 New York Yankees Atlanta Braves 4-0
1998 New York Yankees San Diego Padres 4-0
1997 Florida Marlins Cleveland Indians 4-3

Last 20 years of MLB World Series Champions (keep in mind these are in a Bo7 series.).

I see a fair amount of "small market teams" that can and have been able to compete for championships, and this isn't even taking into consideration how many small market teams have made the playoffs in this teim span either.  The "small market team" myth is widely exaggerated.  The salary cap doesn't imply a smaller market team can't compete, it just makes it easier to level the entire playing field from a dollar perspective.

I firmly believe that doing away with the salary cap wouldn't be harmful in the least.

6 hours ago, Super4 said:
MLB World Series Winners
SEASON WINNER LOSER SERIES
2017 Houston Astros Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3
2016 Chicago Cubs Cleveland Indians 4-3
2015 Kansas City Royals New York Mets 4-1
2014 San Francisco Giants Kansas City Royals 4-3
2013 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
2012 San Francisco Giants Detroit Tigers 4-0
2011 St. Louis Cardinals Texas Rangers 4-3
2010 San Francisco Giants Texas Rangers 4-1
2009 New York Yankees Philadelphia Phillies 4-2
2008 Philadelphia Phillies Tampa Bay Rays 4-1
2007 Boston Red Sox Colorado Rockies 4-0
2006 St. Louis Cardinals Detroit Tigers 4-1
2005 Chicago White Sox Houston Astros 4-0
2004 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-0
2003 Florida Marlins New York Yankees 4-2
2002 Anaheim Angels San Francisco Giants 4-3
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks New York Yankees 4-3
2000 New York Yankees New York Mets 4-1
1999 New York Yankees Atlanta Braves 4-0
1998 New York Yankees San Diego Padres 4-0
1997 Florida Marlins Cleveland Indians 4-3

Last 20 years of MLB World Series Champions (keep in mind these are in a Bo7 series.).

I see a fair amount of "small market teams" that can and have been able to compete for championships, and this isn't even taking into consideration how many small market teams have made the playoffs in this teim span either.  The "small market team" myth is widely exaggerated.  The salary cap doesn't imply a smaller market team can't compete, it just makes it easier to level the entire playing field from a dollar perspective.

I firmly believe that doing away with the salary cap wouldn't be harmful in the least.

A sports team can survive pretty well in baseball through a strong management team and a solid owner, ditto for football, but it is ridiculous to think a small market football team could survive with no cap in place. QB is such an important position in pro football that small market teams in a FA era, would never be able to keep their QB, if a large market team targeted him. Small market teams would sink into oblivion in such a set up.

Archived