Is paying big money for a QB worth it?

Bolts223

I think the main problem is that the quarterback market is so saturated now. Most of the quarterbacks that started last season were competent with a small section that was absolutely terrible (Kizer, Savage, Siemian, etc.) and a small elite section (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.). It's a bell curve now. Only the truly franchise QBs should be getting the big money. A lot of these teams that overpay merely good quarterbacks end in cap hell.

It sounds contradictory because he's only started seven games, but Jimmy G went undefeated with a winless team and Marquis Goodwin as his top receive and gave that team hope for the future. I don't get that vibe with Cousins; he's just another guy in my opinion. Can a "just a quarterback away" team win a Super Bowl with him? Absolutely. Is it worth getting the team in cap hell in the future? No.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:47 AM, biletnikoff said:

seriously? you cant grasp the basic concept? throwing a ball is a useless act to society. It serves no valuable purpose.

it doesnt matter who's throwing it or why. Its still nothing more than throwing a ball. It has no value. You choose to believe and give it value.

all you can provide is that a construct was carried out and people bought into it. That doesnt give it actual important/valid/needed value.

Oh I grasp the concept just fine. The concept you're playing with is too basic. Too rudimentary. It lacks any sort of nuance. Bottom line is it is uselessly reductive.

Throwing a ball isn't a useless act to society. It provides entertainment. Which has many useful benefits. Both socially and psychologically. 

Whether you or I, specifically, choose to give it value is anecdotal. Society, as a whole, places value on it. So it has value. Real value. Diamonds are just rocks. But society agrees that those rocks are "special" and deserve more value than a hunk of quartz of similar size. Is the value limited only to what society places on it? Sure. But society does place value on it. Therefore it has value. Real value.

All values are derived from social constructs. Even social values like commitment, bravery and altruism. But the fact that the value is derived from the social construct doesn't mean the value isnt "real." The value is very real. It is clearly subjective. But subjectivity doesn't inherently remove all value from something. Therefore the value is real.

Throwing a football can be very valuable. 

You're trying to project your own values onto the world at large (a typically narcissistic quality) and youre doing it badly (another typically narcissistic quality). 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, biletnikoff said:

lol at comparing critical thinking to childish emo behavior. I'm educating you on what sports really is.

the only naive people are the ones who think they are watching random competition. I'm the least narcissistic. Thats why I'm able to see outside the box.

I am shocked that the person who puts himself on a pedestal, considers people who disagree with him "naive" and insists he is some rarified creature with the ability to think "outside the box" also considers himself the least narcissistic person in the room. But, to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you were narcissistic or naïve in the post you responded to. I was pointing out that you are trying to build a specific narrative. That people who are commenting on what a QB does or doesn't deserve seem to think (according to you) that there are billionaire owners listening in on the conversation and value the posters input and that is why these posters are here sharing their opinions. As if they must be that naive/irrational/narcissistic, right? They can't just be sharing their opinion or simply arguing in support of their opinion for the sake of mental masturbation?

You aren't educating anyone. I have no doubt you earnestly believe you are. But you aren't. 

And I am not comparing "critical thinking", as laughable as that is in this context, to "childish emo behavior." I am comparing "existential nihilism" to "teenage angst."

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:
On 2/14/2018 at 2:47 AM, biletnikoff said:

seriously? you cant grasp the basic concept? throwing a ball is a useless act to society. It serves no valuable purpose.

it doesnt matter who's throwing it or why. Its still nothing more than throwing a ball. It has no value. You choose to believe and give it value.

all you can provide is that a construct was carried out and people bought into it. That doesnt give it actual important/valid/needed value.

It is possible that throwing a ball is more valuable than commenting on an internet football message forum about the useless act to society that throwing a ball is.

15 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

I am shocked that the person who puts himself on a pedestal, considers people who disagree with him "naive" and insists he is some rarified creature with the ability to think "outside the box" also considers himself the least narcissistic person in the room. But, to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you were narcissistic or naïve in the post you responded to. I was pointing out that you are trying to build a specific narrative. That people who are commenting on what a QB does or doesn't deserve seem to think (according to you) that there are billionaire owners listening in on the conversation and value the posters input and that is why these posters are here sharing their opinions. As if they must be that naive/irrational/narcissistic, right? They can't just be sharing their opinion or simply arguing in support of their opinion for the sake of mental masturbation?

You aren't educating anyone. I have no doubt you earnestly believe you are. But you aren't. 

And I am not comparing "critical thinking", as laughable as that is in this context, to "childish emo behavior." I am comparing "existential nihilism" to "teenage angst."

What's the quote about Chess and pigeons.....

On 2/14/2018 at 9:38 PM, mission27 said:

Eh I don't see any reason a guy like Stafford couldn't win a Super Bowl with a good supporting cast.  How much worse is he than the 3rd best QB, whoever that is?  

I think the issue is there aren't many good QBs (read: everyone but Tom Brady) wiling to take far below market salaries.  

I can think of a reason Stafford can't win the Superbowl with how much caps he takes up. There are arguably 10 better QBs than Stafford and his high salary puts too many restrictions on whom the Lions can sign for what Stafford brings to the table. 

On 2/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, Non-Issue said:

Dude has textbook psychosis.  

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

the Pats demonstrated you need a long snapper. 

I just think your reserve dime back can be average. 

Oh I understand how important LS is. Same with gunners.

I agree with your original statement about a QB and 40 others, I was just trying to throw in a little humor behind it as well.

Archived