Is paying big money for a QB worth it?

Bolts223

2 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Yeah,really? Like you'd  have any grasp of any difference between 80 or 130 million. Throwing a ball is worth 2 bits in reality. It's worth nothing. It's  what children do in the playground. 

Everyone who says this is absolutely wrong.

Entertainment and competition are absolutely necessary and fundamentally a part of who we are as human beings.    

23 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Everyone who says this is absolutely wrong.

Entertainment and competition are absolutely necessary and fundamentally a part of who we are as human beings.    

'Athletic competition' right up there alongside 'eating as a social event' and 'lifetime pair-bonding' when it comes to cross-cultural behavioral overlap.

30 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Throwing a ball is worth 2 bits in reality. It's worth nothing. It's  what children do in the playground. 

How very nihilistic.

Sport events have a ton of positive psychological effects, not to mention the safe outlet for organized violence and tribalism.

42 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Yeah,really? Like you'd  have any grasp of any difference between 80 or 130 million. Throwing a ball is worth 2 bits in reality. It's worth nothing. It's  what children do in the playground. 

I think this thread is a bit over your head.

It sounds dumb and probably lacks any sort of insight, but it just depends on the QB. 15% of my cap space for a Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Manning? Absolutely. Without a doubt. I am not sure you could spend that same 15% of cap space on a combination of other players that is going to give you the same amount of return on investment.

Fifteen percent of my cap space on a Matt Ryan, a Ben Roethlisberger or a Philip Rivers? It really starts getting closer. But I would still say yes. Because, again, I am just not sure I am going to get more return out of that money spent. 

Once you start getting into the Matt Staffords and Cam Newtons... the Andrew Lucks? I say no. Not worth it. Though, in Lucks defense, we probably havent seen all that Luck has to offer. So if you want to gamble on him, I can understand.

Which brings us to the mystery men. Paying them based on what you think they can be. The Derek Carrs and Jimmy Gs. Or even the more established Kirk Cousin. Do you pay them 15% to lock up a potential top 10 QB? That, to me, is the more interesting question. How much would you spend for potential? We used to see it all the time in the draft. It is a lot rarer nowadays since high value free agent QBs so rarely hit the market. But seriously. Do you spend 15% on one of those guys? Or do you keep trying to build a winner around whatever you can land in the draft year after year?

17 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

What about winning Super Bowls? Evidence clearly points that it doesn't work to pay a QB an obscene amount of one's overall cap money.

I mean, you're a Ravens fan and all, it should be obvious in how to properly allocate one's funds for a QB.

Well, I mean you have to admit that the evidence is severely lacking. It's 7 years after all. 

2 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

The truth is you really have no clue what the actual take home pay of these guys is. Jimmy Gar could just be making 80 million for all you know . That's still more money than you'l ever see for doing something less useless than throwing a ball.

Lol why even bother talking about it like your opinion mattered to billionaire  owners?  You'l never see 1 million or 80 million in your own life..but you'll talk about if you think a QB is worth that?

I dont need to make 80 million dollars to talk about if a QB is worth 80 million dollars. I can just consult what the market tends to pay similar QBs. 

Who is talking about it like their opinion matters to billionaire owners? Or is that just you trying to push some ridiculous narrative involving irrationality/naivete/narcissism?

Why are you talking about it like your opinion matters to any of us??? We are all doing what the website encourages us to do. Discussing footballs future. If it aint your scene, I am sure there is some emo thread somewhere where people are discussing how stupid and pointless everything is. Why waste all that teen angst here?

2 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

Throwing a ball is worth 2 bits in reality. It's worth nothing. 

This word, "Reality." I am not sure it means what you think it means. 

A kid throwing a ball is generally worth nothing or next to nothing. For professional athletes and team owners, throwing a ball is , in reality, worth millions. I can provide you evidence if you doubt that. 

Stafford rookie deal   APR 26 2009 Signed a 6 year $72 million contract with Detroit (DET)  2009 cap was $123M

Sam Bradford    JUL 30 2010 Signed a 6 year $78.045 million contract with St. Louis (STL) 2010 was an uncapped year

Jameis Winston   MAY 1 2015 Signed a 4 year $25.3 million contract with Tampa Bay (TB)   2015 cap was $143M

Jared Goff  JUN 9 2016 Signed a 4 year $27.9 million contract with Los Angeles (LAR)  2016 cap was $155M

Archived