Free Agency

Cobb- Retained

Nelson- Restructured Contract

Matthews- Restructured Contract

Dial- Resigned

Justin McCray- Resigned

Bulaga- Released

Gutey makes a Splash

CB Kyle Fuller- Could be a bit too expensive but Gutey to steals him from a divisional rival. Pace says, " The rivalry is back on". He came on strong last year. Colvin is another to consider here. Signing either a starting CB or EDGE could really give Gutey some flexibility in the draft.

TE Tyler Eifert- Maybe a dream, but I think it's pretty evident MM and the personnel people realize an upgrade at TE is needed. Here I imagine Ball signing him to a contract with good potential money and incentives, but Ball designs it to be favorably if he can't stay/get healthy. Luke Wilson/Burton are other options here.

Draft

Not going to predict any trades 

Round 1- Harold Landry EDGE, Boston College

27landry1.jpg?itok=pHnoKcwJ

Round 2- Dallas Goedert, TE South Dakota State University

DallasGoedert-SouthDakotaState-FB-catch-

- Imagine pairing him with Eifert for Rodgers.

Round 3a Jeff Holland, EDGE Auburn

Jeff-Holland.jpg?resize=678,381

Coming off a 9.5 sack year. 

Round 3b (Compensatory) DJ Chark, WR LSU

D.J.-Chark.jpg

Tall and speedy WR who can stretch the field and get on the field as a returner as well. He and Goedert can help Gutey follow Ron Wolf's regret/advice of not surrounding Favre with enough talent.

Round 4 Wyatt Teller, OL Virgini Tech

TEL163755.png

Round 5a J.C. Jackson, CB- Maryland

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJoXydLAxgyaVj4jaikPI

Round 5b, Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin

hqdefault.jpg

Round 5c Levi Wallace, DB Alabama

cf0a0acd6a5e476188b80f711d3ffe53.jpg

Round 6 Joseph Noteboom, OT TCU

4_4322499.jpg

Round 7a Damon Webb, S, Ohio State

4_7808342.jpg

Round 7b (compensatory) LB Nyles Morgan, Notre Dame

Manti-Teo-2-300x166.jpg

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Real nice mock, my only complaint is it could use another WR. Probably a little too heavy on TE's and light on WRs.

I hear you. I think I am higher on Clark and figure maybe Yancey could improve this off season too. 

On the TEs, it might be a lot of youth without him with two rookies, but does Kendricks keep his spot? I suppose he is pretty cheap.

I like the idea of the TE from SD in round 2.  (I'm no scout).  A guy who's scouted as being worthwhile pick there, might be a little undervalued due to his conference, and I think he's a tough, smart kid.  Good hands.  

Also think sometimes kid from a conference like that still has plenty good coaching, but has been playing every year, so sometimes more game experience than big-school guys who came out early or who had to wait a couple years to get PT.  

Of course, I have no scouting idea whether that particular kid is going to end up good or not, or scouts well enough to merit 2nd round.  

16 minutes ago, craig said:

I like the idea of the TE from SD in round 2.  (I'm no scout).  A guy who's scouted as being worthwhile pick there, might be a little undervalued due to his conference, and I think he's a tough, smart kid.  Good hands.  

Also think sometimes kid from a conference like that still has plenty good coaching, but has been playing every year, so sometimes more game experience than big-school guys who came out early or who had to wait a couple years to get PT.  

Of course, I have no scouting idea whether that particular kid is going to end up good or not, or scouts well enough to merit 2nd round.  

As a SDSU alum, I may be a bit biased, but I like him a lot. Not sure if he will be there in the second round or not.

I’d go corner at 3b and WR at 5a bu I really like this mock. I’m pretty high on Holland and I think Harold will be the guy you see on his 2016 film. 

Also, I thought I read that Wallace might be the best of the Alabama CB’s, 5th might be a little optimistic. Pick the best CB you can get at 3b and there will be a WR you will like at 5b too. 

Well done!

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’d go corner at 3b and WR at 5a bu I really like this mock. I’m pretty high on Holland and I think Harold will be the guy you see on his 2016 film. 

Also, I thought I read that Wallace might be the best of the Alabama CB’s, 5th might be a little optimistic. Pick the best CB you can get at 3b and there will be a WR you will like at 5b too. 

Well done!

When's the last time we picked up a WR after the 3rd round that turned out well as a receiver? Yancey, Dupre, Davis, Abbredaris, Janis, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Brett Swain, David Clowney, Cory Rodgers, and Craig Bragg. That's all of them since 2005. Johnson had a decent season with Minnesota after we released him and other than that Abbredaris probably looked the best of the bunch. If you want to add in TEs, you can add Kennard Backman, DJ Williams, Ryan Taylor, Andrew Quarless, and Clark Harris.

I realize you can't prioritize every position in the draft, but I think our team's history suggests you can't rely on picking up a contributing receiver in the 5th. If you want to prioritize CB that's certainly fair, but I think you have to keep in mind that you probably won't be getting a contributor at WR in the 5th

6 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

When's the last time we picked up a WR after the 3rd round that turned out well as a receiver? Yancey, Dupre, Davis, Abbredaris, Janis, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Brett Swain, David Clowney, Cory Rodgers, and Craig Bragg. That's all of them since 2005. Johnson had a decent season with Minnesota after we released him and other than that Abbredaris probably looked the best of the bunch. If you want to add in TEs, you can add Kennard Backman, DJ Williams, Ryan Taylor, Andrew Quarless, and Clark Harris.

I realize you can't prioritize every position in the draft, but I think our team's history suggests you can't rely on picking up a contributing receiver in the 5th. If you want to prioritize CB that's certainly fair, but I think you have to keep in mind that you probably won't be getting a contributor at WR in the 5th

I think we really need another CB or 2. Don’t have faith in Rollins. 

I also think this year is different with regard to WR. This draft looks loaded at that position and I’ll bet there will be a good one available in the 5th. If not the Packers, check out rosters of other teams and you’ll find a LOT of good WR’s drafted from the 5th round on. 

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

I thought about adding Fitzpatrick/ Geno In free agency but I just am not sure which way to go there.

Sign Tyrelle Pryor and have him play WR/QB? B|

I wouldnt touch Geno with a ten foot pole. The concept of bringing in a veteran backup QB is that their warts and strengths are known. They've shown up on regular season tape with another team. Geno Smith will *undoubtedly* hit one of his limitations - fail to accept responsibility and blame others. He's done it for years with the NYJ's/NYG's. A backup QB has to be a "systems guy" and if there's one thing Smith has shown himself not to be is a system guy. He's not excelled in multiple systems when given the change and he's failed to understand, accept and grow from those failures. IMO.

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

I wouldnt touch Geno with a ten foot pole. The concept of bringing in a veteran backup QB is that their warts and strengths are known. They've shown up on regular season tape with another team. Geno Smith will *undoubtedly* hit one of his limitations - fail to accept responsibility and blame others. He's done it for years with the NYJ's/NYG's. A backup QB has to be a "systems guy" and if there's one thing Smith has shown himself not to be is a system guy. He's not excelled in multiple systems when given the change and he's failed to understand, accept and grow from those failures. IMO.

Should have said "a" Fitzpatrick or Geno. More on a cheaper vet backup than the specific player.

32 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Should have said "a" Fitzpatrick or Geno. More on a cheaper vet backup than the specific player.

No hassle. For no particular reason I thought to offer my opinion of Geno Smith. I'd rather have Hundley taking snaps than Smith - which should encapsulate my feelings about Smith (cause in case you missed it.....I'd commented I'd be more than happy if Hundley never took another regular season snap for the GBP's).

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Real nice mock, my only complaint is it could use another WR. Probably a little too heavy on TE's and light on WRs.

We pick up a ton of WR's in UDFA, but once again we have a huge hole at TE right now. It's Lance Kendricks, a JAG in Richard Rodgers, and then PS fodder. TE is a far greater need than WR at the moment though I'm not as high on Goedert as the OP. Fumagalli and Breneman in the middle rounds would suffice for me. Gesicki is overrated IMHO. Thought about mocking Jeff Holland to us, but I haven't been able to pick up enough info/tape on him to make an informed decision.

Archived