Panthers OC Mike Shula hired as OC/QB coach

Acgott

I really like it, for reasons I explained in the other thread. Shula built an offense to cater to Newton's strengths, and you saw what it could do when Newton was on. They went 15-1, went to the Super Bowl, and had the best offense in the NFL that year. Cam's been significantly worse since then, especially as a passer, and it has shown. PFF had Cam's adjusted completion percentage ranked 32nd and 37th in the league the past 2 years. The gripe that Panthers fans had with Shula that, rightfully, ran him out of town was his play calling, which he will not be doing here. Shula taking on a dual role after Shurmur said he wanted 2 people to do those jobs, and hiring one to do both tells me Shula will be performing less OC duties than one would on any other team. I think he will be gameplanning less and focusing on the players themselves more. I think his strengths as a coach can come through a lot in the position we gave him. I'm excited. With Shurmur on the record as taking over the offense, a guy like Bevell, a traditional play calling OC, didn't make much sense for our coordinator opening. 

Also of note is Greg Olsen didn't have a 1000 yard receiving season until Shula got to Carolina. 

^ You might be the only Gmen fan I've come across today that likes it. Honestly I don't know enough about him to say it's a good or bad hire. Just have to trust in Shurmur and Gettlemen at this point. If Shurmur's going to be calling the plays then OC doesn't really matter all that much. If he can work some magic and get Eli throwing on target again I'll be happy

Archived