Should the NFL bring back a farm system like NFL Europe?

TecmoSuperJoe

And no the CFL or AFL is not a farm league. Not sure how it would be done, but I personally would like to see this happen for the NFL. There are a lot of guys out there that because of what I guess I'll call "football politics" may not always get a decent opportunity to showcase what they can do. Really, training camp and preseason games aren't enough trying to make an impact. There just aren't enough reps to go around for guys, let alone time to try and grow as young player. If you're a free agent receiver for instance, you might not even get a crack in a game to show what you got. Or if you do, it's one series or down and that's it. You career could be over after that. 

Any ideas on how the NFL should bring back a talent development league? Any huge drawbacks I'm missing? It's late and I'm not thinking clearly so disclaimer. 

BTW, don't know how the XFL will play into this. Maybe it's better than nothing? I know a few players before went from the XFL to the pros. 

The problems with the NFL EU were many, but they did develop both players and coaches.

The NFL is reluctant to create the developmental league because their cash depends on the unique awesomeness of the NFL. IF they have "junior" games, they fear that fans might actually enjoy them and that bleeds revenue from the main NFL. That's why Roger always gripes about preseason " not being up to our standards"

With fans griping about $13 dollar beers and $ 30 to park and ever-increasing ticket prices, the last thing the NFL wants to do is create a "cheaper" version of themselves. Its a damn shame, but greed is what decides most NFL actions.

That's why XFL wants to re-launch and that's why the NFL is leaning on advertisers/ network partners to make it as difficult as possible for them to succeed. The NFL can't have a monopoly if they have competition and these owners can't build absurd palaces/ homages to their ego if there are lower cost options available. 

The players lose, the fans lose the game of football loses- but that's the way 31 greedy bastards want it. And the Colleges are against it too, because it derails their gravy train too. And they too have deals with networks and sponsors. Follow the money and the money says: "No effing way"

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Yeah...too bad the game is vastly different between the two levels though. 

So is the NBA and NCAA.

Key difference: Overseas in Europe, they can financially support other leagues due to interest from fans.

No one outside of the U.S. wants NFL style football, and that's what it will take. Ask Mike Vrabel, he just said the same thing a week ago.

There's definitely a place for a developmental league and it fits for all of the guys who slip through the cracks plus any from EU or Asia who want to hone their skills in the US. After cutdowns in September, they'd have a landing spot

It would also stop the farce of "attending college" for the players who just aren't college material or maybe need a year off to mature. From a football point of view, its a very good idea.

From a revenue protection POV, its probably a non- starter and that's a shame

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So is the NBA and NCAA.

Key difference: Overseas in Europe, they can financially support other leagues due to interest from fans.

No one outside of the U.S. wants NFL style football, and that's what it will take. Ask Mike Vrabel, he just said the same thing a week ago.

Oh I didn't mean it had to go back to Europe.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh I didn't mean it had to go back to Europe.

If it wants to succeed it will. No one here is stupid enough to financially support an inferior product when we already have the NFL.

Its the same for MLS soccer. It’s ok here because it doesn’t have European high level competition right here in the US.

Bringing back NFL Europe would do more for the game than moving an NFL franchise to Europe.

There’s now an ever increasing number of players moving over from Europe to the US, either to college or directly to the NFL as a direct result of NFL Europe. It greatly improved the quality of coaching in Europe and gave a clear pathway for young players to the professional level of the sport.

Combined with the NFL International programme, that gave the top talent in Europe a pathway to the professional level/ NFL and made football a viable sport for good athletes to make a living from. 

The biggest thing NFL Europe did was improve the quality of coaching in Europe and improve coaching networks. That directly impacted in the quality of players being produced in Europe. I’d go as far to say that if NFL Europe didn’t exist, guys like Sebastian Vollmer, Bjorn Werner or Boeringher would never have had their chance. There’s also guys signed directly from Europe, like Efe Obada who, had the coaching networks established by NFLE not existed, would probably not have had their chance in the NFL. 

I think if NFLE was brought back, you’d see even more Europeans making it to top level college ball and then eventually a greater number making the NFL.

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No one here is stupid enough to financially support an inferior product when we already have the NFL.

Sort of. It doesn't have to be an inferior product, it just has to be a different product

Its the very definition of how a disruptive technology succeeds vs an entrenched incumbent . The NFL caters to the high-end high- margin customers, leaving the low- end, low- margin business for others to address. There are vastly more non-NFL consumers on this planet than there are NFL fans ( 25:1)

That's why Vince McMahon invested $ 100 million in his XFL 2.0. He sees the opportunity and he can go global faster than the NFL because the NFL has to worry about keeping their existing US business that's eroding below their feet.

Vince can also change the game enough to make it available to guys who aren't big enough/fast enough to play in the NFL- that opens up his league to thousands of players around the world instead of just the 2000 or so who are good enough for the NFL. With about 15,000 college seniors playing football and only 275 drafted in the NFL - there's plenty of talent available

It could be both an NFL developmental league and a destination for many athletes who still love playing the game but won't make an NFL squad

The NFL needs a developmental league playing at the same time as the NFL. Not in the spring. A spring league could have value but not for developing players because NFL teams would rather have those guys in mini-camps and their offseason training programs. A spring league needs to be a separate entity (like the CFL or XFL). 

What the NFL really should do is something akin to how the NHL and AHL work (and how the NBADL is being designed). Allow NFL teams to keep more than 53 guys but send some down to a farm team while also having players signed directly to the NFL2 rosters.

To me, the proper way to do this is a one to one league, every NFL team has an affiliate. After the NFL makes its cuts (including sending how ever many players down) those teams begin a 2-3 week camp followed by a 10-14 game regular season with a small playoff that concludes around the same time as the NFL regular season (or maybe you have them play through January and have their title game before or after the Pro Bowl). Play the games on  on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays and televise them on NFL network. Work with MLS and small colleges to find smaller stadiums to play the games in.

To save money maybe you split the 32 teams into 4 eight team regional leagues with no interleague play until the playoffs. Maybe one of those leagues is in Europe if you can find 8 NFL teams willing to put their affiliate overseas (I think this is possible since some might see it as an opportunity to expand their brand into a new market).  

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Sort of. It doesn't have to be an inferior product, it just has to be a different product

Worse players by definition will result in an inferior product.

Its the very definition of how a disruptive technology succeeds vs an entrenched incumbent . The NFL caters to the high-end high- margin customers, leaving the low- end, low- margin business for others to address. There are vastly more non-NFL consumers on this planet than there are NFL fans ( 25:1)

I remember hearing that in the early 2000s when He Hate Me and Touchdown Tommy Maddox were lighting the world on fire, and by that, I mean empty stadiums in a league that had gone bankrupt.

That's why Vince McMahon invested $ 100 million in his XFL 2.0.

Haha! Speaking of that. Yes, Vince proved that he's stubborn. That product is going to fail.

He sees the opportunity and he can go global faster than the NFL because the NFL has to worry about keeping their existing US business that's eroding below their feet.

Whatever you say.

Vince can also change the game enough to make it available to guys who aren't big enough/fast enough to play in the NFL- that opens up his league to thousands of players around the world instead of just the 2000 or so who are good enough for the NFL. With about 15,000 college seniors playing football and only 275 drafted in the NFL - there's plenty of talent available

Yeah, sure, just like the first time. At least the USFL could compete with the NFL for a flash since they were able to poach HOF and 1st round talent (Steve Young, Jimmy Kelly, countless others). Unless they're able to poach big name freshmen and have a LOT of turnaround (I.E. Johnny Manziel goes pro after his freshman year, plays in a worse league for a year or two, and then goes to the NFL, wash/rinse/repeat), it will FLOP.

It could be both an NFL developmental league and a destination for many athletes who still love playing the game but won't make an NFL squad

And fans aren't buying that product, attending their games, or buying merchandise. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I remember hearing that in the early 2000s when He Hate Me and Touchdown Tommy Maddox were lighting the world on fire, and by that, I mean empty stadiums in a league that had gone bankrupt.

The XFL averaged over 20,000 fans per game. That is not empty. And the league didn't really go bankrupt. NBC was not committed to the league. Had NBC been committed the league could have easily continued. 

Now, yes the XFL lost money in 2001 but that is because any and every league is gonna lose money early on. NBC decided they didn't have the stomach for it. But a league that can get over 20,000 fans per game (and the XFL did) can easily survive and eventually become profitable (see Major League Soccer). 

Archived